The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 am 

As a modeler building my own battleship model just a few words: great achievement! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all... :wave_1: OK.....First leg of the journey.............read on...
Attachment:
File comment: Heres the Indiana in her crate, ready to be loaded. Much easier with a forklift truck. We are at the FedEx facility in Jacksonville, Fla.
DSC03533.JPG
DSC03533.JPG [ 173.95 KiB | Viewed 8027 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Heres Indiana's container.....all by herself in here
DSC03534.JPG
DSC03534.JPG [ 119.66 KiB | Viewed 8027 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: By forklift again, loaded into her container which will go on the aircraft.
DSC03535.JPG
DSC03535.JPG [ 130.2 KiB | Viewed 8027 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: FedEx guys sealing up the container.....real nice guys...They were real interested in the project........
DSC03536.JPG
DSC03536.JPG [ 124.84 KiB | Viewed 8027 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here's my Plane.......Wow, Unreal
DSC03538.JPG
DSC03538.JPG [ 75.67 KiB | Viewed 8027 times ]

Now it's off to Memphis, Tenn., FedEx hub, then to Indianapolis. Should arrive at 7am tommorrow. I await the landing.....Scary! I built her strong, so should be OK. Kind of like your kid going off to summer camp, ya know.....
Stay tuned....more to come.......... :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

that's cool!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:19 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all :wave_1: Well, I am back from the city of Indianapolis, and the delivery and dedication of the ship to the Indiana War Memorial Museum, and to her crew. The Indiana arrived without a scratch, thanks to the great efforts by FedEx. It was a great time. I was king for a day, so to speak! :cool_2: The week I spent in Indianapolis was also the annual reunion of the USS Indianapolis survivors, some of whom attended the Indianas presentation, along with 10 or so former crew members of the Indiana. Not many, but some are not able to get around well due to health reasons or are just too far away. Those who were not able to attend still saw their ship through my photos I sent to their group. I was happy to meet a few in any event. So as promised, heres a few photos.........
Attachment:
File comment: Heres a photo of the Museum. A really cool building. This is the rear of the facility.
DSC03681.JPG
DSC03681.JPG [ 136.31 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The main entrance, note the inscription.
DSC03540.JPG
DSC03540.JPG [ 159.21 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Indiana awaiting the unveiling and presentation. The gentlemen with his back towards the camera is Mike Hussey of FedEx, who co-ordinated the delivery of the Indiana to Indianapolis.
DSC03545.JPG
DSC03545.JPG [ 123.04 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here she is, on display in the main lobby where the presentation took place. The model will stay here for a time,but will eventually be moved to another spot in the museum.
DSC03649.JPG
DSC03649.JPG [ 197.24 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view. I built the plexiglass case, a bit tricky due to the large size, 1/4" thick. Tends to move around alot. I built a jig to help out with assembly.
DSC03651.JPG
DSC03651.JPG [ 194.09 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Stern View.
DSC03652.JPG
DSC03652.JPG [ 238.96 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Bow on view.
DSC03653.JPG
DSC03653.JPG [ 170.4 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Yours truly with 10 of the veterans of the Indiana.
DSC03559.JPG
DSC03559.JPG [ 144.29 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The ships bell.
DSC03654.JPG
DSC03654.JPG [ 130.69 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The Navy Band performing at a banquet I attended for the Indiana veterans and Indianapolis survivors. A very polished unit, these men are. Never missed a note.
DSC03641.JPG
DSC03641.JPG [ 169.79 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Going back, heres the Indianapolis. Looks as it did when it left my shop about 4 years ago.
DSC03656.JPG
DSC03656.JPG [ 138.09 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
DSC03657.JPG
DSC03657.JPG [ 142.27 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
DSC03658.JPG
DSC03658.JPG [ 143.88 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
DSC03659.JPG
DSC03659.JPG [ 192.08 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: A plaque I recieved from 4 veterans organizations.
DSC03682.JPG
DSC03682.JPG [ 116.78 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Yours truly, awaiting an adult beverage!
DSC03637.JPG
DSC03637.JPG [ 211.79 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]

Well, there you have it. Another project built and delivered...onto more projects!! Thanks to all for the posts and kind words throughout this build, it is much appreciated. Stay tuned..........New stuff coming...........I continue on.... :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 pm 

Bill Waldorf wrote:
Well, I am back from the city of Indianapolis, and the delivery and dedication of the ship to the Indiana War Memorial Museum, and to her crew.
Congratulations, Bill! That is so wonderful. Watching your progression for the last year has been a real pleasure. Thanks so much for sharing with us all. It has been a real learning experience watching the part of the process I got to see live. I can only hope to approach what you have achieved.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:41 am 

A richly deserved Bravo Zulu, not only for the quality and craftsmanship, but also for your tireless teaching example.

Thank you :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am 

after all the hours spent on the indiana and the stress of shipping her by air frieght i am sure a few cool ones where on order,congratulions on a job well done.your work is as usual is #1 :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm 

all those smiling faces are for real! congrats Bill! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 pm 

Hi Bill Just returned from a short break . Bill what you have achieved is simply magnificent. The Indiana model says it all .
You have done so much with your models touching the right cord with so many people .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:57 pm 

I agree Dave Wooley Bill your model is in the right place now with a great honour :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 am 

As there is so much excellent material within Bill's Indiana build would it be possible for this thread to become a sticky ? Just a thought .
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 am 

I fully second the proposal :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:29 pm 

Back from Holiday- phew!

That model, its story, the people it honours...

MAGNIFICENT!!!

Truly a work of passion.

I admire your tenacity with these 'BIG' projects.... truly an admirable quality!

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

JIm Baumann

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:35 am 

great job I just found this site. do you by chance have a digital set of the SODAK class 1944? I have the Early WWI version but been looking for the WWII version as I want to do both SODAKs even though the first was never finished.

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:51 pm 
I am very impressed with these efforts!

I am considering a 1/32 to 1/48th scale model of the Indiana that would not only float, but would carry two passengers. I got the idea from some pictures I saw of a German battleship of about the same scale.

My project would not be of the same overall quality as yours, I am sure!

Where did you get your drawings? I would like to get a set.

Thanks for any feedback you could send to me at hawkinsgus@gmail.com

Regards,

Gus Hawkins

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:53 am 

I have completed reading this thread from end to end.

Phew, quite an emotional roller coaster in places, and gripping reading. I will add that I fealt for your loss Bill and offer belated condolences, but also congratulations on another masterpiece completed, particularly persevering through such difficult times. Witnessing the journey through those dark times and the parallel progression of the ship to completion did have a kind of poignancy to it.

Image to you Sir.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Rob-UK wrote:
I have completed reading this thread from end to end.

Phew, quite an emotional roller coaster in places, and gripping reading. I will add that I fealt for your loss Bill and offer belated condolences, but also congratulations on another masterpiece completed, particularly persevering through such difficult times. Witnessing the journey through those dark times and the parallel progression of the ship to completion did have a kind of poignancy to it.

Image to you Sir.

Hello Rob, Thanks for the post. Life can be a roller coaster at times. Guess I got thru it, but never over it............ :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 am 

Bill, a spectacular build; both engrossing regarding your wonderful skills and patience and moving as a result of your loss of your companion and wife. I sincerely hope you have found peace. The pain won't ever go away, but it will lessen.

I am a huge fan of the Iowa class ships. I find them more elegant due to their greater length. An Iowa class in that scale would be almost 9 feet long. I couldn't build one even if I could afford it, since it wouldn't be able to get out of my basement. I've visited both the Alabama and the New Jersey (2X), as well as other museum ships. Of them all, the battleships are my favorites, for the same reason that you give...their incredible amounts of details.

Speaking of details, can you explain what the "float nets" actually do? It's a detail of which I have no idea about its function.

I'm about to build the Tamiya Missouri for the 2nd time. This time with Eduard Photoetched, brass main guns, and ScaleDecks teak decking. My nine-year-old grandson is going to help me. He's becoming a terrific modeler.

I look forward to your next build. It's a pleasure to follow them and learn from them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:40 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Builder 2010 wrote:
Bill, a spectacular build; both engrossing regarding your wonderful skills and patience and moving as a result of your loss of your companion and wife. I sincerely hope you have found peace. The pain won't ever go away, but it will lessen.

I am a huge fan of the Iowa class ships. I find them more elegant due to their greater length. An Iowa class in that scale would be almost 9 feet long. I couldn't build one even if I could afford it, since it wouldn't be able to get out of my basement. I've visited both the Alabama and the New Jersey (2X), as well as other museum ships. Of them all, the battleships are my favorites, for the same reason that you give...their incredible amounts of details.

Speaking of details, can you explain what the "float nets" actually do? It's a detail of which I have no idea about its function.

I'm about to build the Tamiya Missouri for the 2nd time. This time with Eduard Photoetched, brass main guns, and ScaleDecks teak decking. My nine-year-old grandson is going to help me. He's becoming a terrific modeler.

I look forward to your next build. It's a pleasure to follow them and learn from them.

Hello, and thanks for the kind words. In answer to your question about floater nets, they are just that. A large piece of netting with floats attached to it. In the event a ship would go down, the nets would be released from their baskets and float on the surface of the water, giving the men something to hang on to. I'm not sure how effective these were, but lots of ships carried them, so they must have been useful. Good luck on your Missouri build. :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 pm 

Dear Bill,

My deepest condolences and sympathies on the loss of your beloved wife. In a world where life can be cheaper than tin, she was a Hope Diamond!

Thank too for the magnificent works of shipbuilding . They astound a recreational modeler like me.

Best wishes for much success in your next build. Any hints as to what it might be?

Regards

Billy

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next