The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:28 pm 

Hi all

Even more deck detail.

I treated the torpedo tubes the same as the two 88mm guns, breaking them down into sub components which could be more easily cast in epoxy resin.

Plastic, metal and pattern makers carving medium, were again employed to create a master which was used to make yet another silicon mould. This yielded castings, again set on a base, which were removed with a fine fret saw.

With very small or thin items, like the turn wheels, the masters were mounted on a circle of thin plastic card. This allowed for the thickness of the blade and reduced the chance of damage when removing the resin casting from the base.

I discovered, with the guns, that it is a good idea to drill any locating holes (ie the cranking handle on the wheel) with a pin vice BEFORE removing the item from the casting base. It is easier to hold these small items and there is less chance of damaging them.

The castings allowed me to construct the two forward torpedo tubes (in left and right handed format) and using the same major components, construct the amid ships tube. This torpedo tube seemed to have a slightly different race and cranking arrangement but was essentially the same design.

The pictures show the exploded torpedo tube components prior to assembly and the two slightly different designs.

Attachments:
File comment: The torpedo tube components, removed from their casing base.
0135.JPG
0135.JPG [ 198.96 KiB | Viewed 2329 times ]
File comment: The assembled torpedo tube. It has been moulded with a "fish" in the loaded position.
0136.JPG
0136.JPG [ 176.86 KiB | Viewed 2329 times ]
File comment: The amid ships tube assembled and in primer.
0137.JPG
0137.JPG [ 164.33 KiB | Viewed 2329 times ]
File comment: The tubes assembled and in component form.
0139.JPG
0139.JPG [ 162.48 KiB | Viewed 2329 times ]

www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:58 pm 

Hi all

At this point I decided that the model was ready for it's main paint finish. The deck edge stanchions, masts, rigging and some deck detail were still missing from the model. There was nothing very special about applying the paint, other than to note that the main colours were matt finish and oil based, and were applied with an air brush. The lower hull was painted first with the model (minus the removable deck sections) being inverted and balanced on some convenient cardboard boxes.

When the lower hull paint was dry, the waterline was marked on and masked out so that the upper hull could be painted.

The mouth of the large ventilator and any glazed windows were masked out first.

For anyone interested, the colour mixes used are listed below.

Upper hull, bridge, and superstructure and all other detail not listed below.
Mix 1 part “Revell” Anthracite (ref: 32109) to 2 parts “Revell” Black Green (ref: 32140).

Deck, foredeck and other “walked on” horizontal surfaces, but not boiler room roof.
Mix 1 part “Humbrol” Slate Grey (ref: 31) to 2 parts “Humbrol” Dark Earth (ref: 29).

Below waterline (anti-foul).
Mix 1 part “Humbrol” Red Brown (ref: 100) to 1 part “Humbrol” German Red Brown (ref: 160).

Minor detail colouring as follows.
“Humbrol” Gunmetal (ref: 053) for the following components:-
Torpedo warheads, gun breach blocks, sights, muzzle tips and hand wheels.

Mix 3 parts “Humbrol” White (ref: 34) to 1 part “Humbrol” Pale Stone (ref: 121) for the following components:-
Inside smaller ventilator mouths, life belt (halves alternating with red), ship’s boats interior hull (thwarts and duck
boards only), inside stern and aft navigation light reflector boards.

“Humbrol” Insignia Red (ref: 163) for the following components:-
Inside navigation light reflector board (port), life belt (halves alternating with off white).

“Humbrol” Light Green (ref: 120) for the following components:-
Inside navigation light reflector board (starboard).

“Humbrol” Brass (ref: 054) for the following components:-
Binnacle tops, bridge telegraph, navigation lights, bezel around searchlight glass.

“Humbrol” Matt Black (ref: 033) for the following components:-
Interior and grill on large ventilator cowl.

“Humbrol” Red Brown (ref: 100) as a base colour, washed over with dark brown ink to highlight detail, for the
following components:-
Deck mounted drinking water barrel.

The "walked on" deck surfaces on these vessels were probably linoleum (cortescene) covered or painted. Some references talk of paint being mixed with coal dust or ash to create a non slip surface. The colour chosen for the deck was brush applied.

Attachments:
File comment: Here is a torpedo tube (seen in the last post) in its finished colour before installation.
0140.JPG
0140.JPG [ 68 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]
File comment: The cast resin capstan, chain pipes and roller on the foredeck, after the model had been sprayed "graphite" grey/black. The deck colour will be brush painted later.
0141.JPG
0141.JPG [ 162.3 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]
File comment: After the main upper hull had been sprayed. The bridge wings had previously been masked out. The stanchions are just being fitted.
0142.JPG
0142.JPG [ 158.28 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:27 pm 

The contrast between the deck and the gray is nice . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 am 

Richard

I wanted the bridge wings to contrast, but in the end it is probably too much of a contrast. If I did this again I would add an off white wash to the wooden deck to make it look more used and tone down the wood colour a bit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm 

Hi all

Interesting deck detail.

No one has explained as yet what the wooden barrel was for. It was clearly indicated on the plans. My assumption was that it was for crew drinking water (sort of ready use water, rather than ready use ammunition). I could not see anything like it on any contemporary vessels, but I’m sure some one will put me right on this point.

I had already made some cast resin barrels for my sailing vessels, so I utilised one of these, manufacturing a stillage (that is the correct word for the storage cradle) from plastic card. Having painted it flat brown, brown ink was used to highlight the hoops and staves.

The stanchions were being installed at this point too. I used the wonderful brass “split pin type” made by James Lane, Jimmy to his friends. I have used these on all my models and they are accurate, strong, adaptable and easy to install. I hand painted them after installation as air brushing always misses bits or results in drips.
The deck was also being hand painted at this point. The brush strokes show up in the flat paint (see the picture) but disappear when the model is eventually sprayed with a final sealing coat of matt polyurethane varnish.

The plans also showed strange, square box like structures around the base of the funnel casings. Asking questions on this site resulted in a great contemporary photo showing they were the life jacket storage lockers. A logical place to have them too. Canvas and cork life jackets would have rotted very quickly is they were not protected or kept dry, so the base of the funnel is a logical position. As the lockers were curved and there were quite a few, I cast these in resin too.

Attachments:
File comment: Crew drinking water? The barrel is another resin casing.
0143.JPG
0143.JPG [ 196.19 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]
File comment: The stanchions are being fitted, and the deck is being hand painted.
0144.JPG
0144.JPG [ 189.69 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]
File comment: Sorry this is a B&W picture. These are the cast resin life jacket storage lockers around the base of the funnel casing, prior to painting.
0145.JPG
0145.JPG [ 155.73 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hi Picketboat your work is very good
i love your castings :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm 

Capitão Norbert

Thanks for the compliment.

I have recently invested in a pressure chamber. This, together with my home built vacuum chamber, means that the quality of finished cast resin items has improved dramatically, and the number of rejected castings has been reduced to just a few percent.

I figured it was quite safe to home build a vacuum chamber, but I decided to buy a decent quality pressure chamber, as any mistakes at 80 pounds per square inch could quite easily blow the roof of my workshop.

The safety valve is checked regularly!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 pm 

Do you have a link for James Lane ? :huh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:35 am 

Richard

You're out of luck with the idea of a link for James Lane. Jimmy doesn't "do" computers to my knowledge. He has a little booklet with all his products in and this has all pertinent information. For a nominal fee he will send it to you.

James Lane (Display Models)
30 Broadway
Blyth
Northumberland
NE24 2PP
United Kingdom

UK phone number 01670 352051

Dave Wooley will confirm the quality of his products.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 am 

Hi, that 's some great detail you are putting in there.
THat got me wondering, what is the freeboard of this boat? And do all these details survive on the water? Or is she restricted to flat waters? I see lots of fine threads and stuff...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 am 

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm 

proof of pudding!...

it floats and the water is err... pretty flat!

JB :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 pm 

Hi all

Thanks Sandy for posting the NICE BIG picture of V105 taken of her leaving the harbour complex at last years Model Warship Weekend, at Glasgow Richmond Model Boat Club. This probably answers a couple of Neptune's questions. There is sufficient freeboard to keep the model safe and dry during normal sailing conditions. The bows, as you can imagine, are dry pretty much all of the time.
The aft deck gets quite wet but only when sailing in choppy water and speed has to be reduced a little. I subsequently fitted silicon seals to the two removable deck apertures after sailing in some very (non scale) rough conditions and finding some water had come aboard and was sloshing around in the bilges! I will talk about this later in the build.
The simple answers are:-

The model performs as I would expect the original did.
Again careful attention to getting as much weight low down realy helps.
The most delicate rigging (the WT aerials) is well up and away from potential damage.
The stantions are surprisingly robust.
All the deck detail is designed to be unaffected by contact with water.
The biggest risk is getting the model to and from the pond.
If anyone puts a fast electric model on the pond, V105 beats a hasty retreat back to the harbour.

All commons sense realy.

I will post more sailing pictures when this build article is completed.
Thanks again to Sandy for the picture and in the mean time if anyone is interested in this years (2013) National Model Warship Weekend event, go to www.glasgowrichmondmbc.co.uk

More build details in the next post.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm 

Hi all

I have included some picture in this post of certain parts of the deck detail in its "raw" just cast finish. Probably a bit out of order, as I have previously been covering the painting of the model, but I thought some people might be interested, particularly to see how the individual components are arranged for casting and how these components assemble into the particular fitting.

The first picture shows the resin castings of the ships compass and binnacle, anchor, life jacket lockers and the oval shaped man hole/deck hatch (there are just a couple this shape on the model).

The two anchors on V105 were mounted on beds on the fore deck, so I cast them attached to the bed. This helped get the resin into the mould, saved having to manufacture the beds from scratch and gave the anchors added strength.

The next picture shows the anchor being assembled, with brass wire being incorporated and fine securing chains.

The last picture shows one of the ships boats. This has a vac formed hull with the resin thwarts and floor boards being installed, The plastic card seats have already been installed in the stern and the thwarts are about to join them. The rudder will be shown stored in the boat when it is installed on the deck of V105.

Attachments:
File comment: Some of the "raw" resin castings for V105, straight out of the mould.
0146.JPG
0146.JPG [ 157.21 KiB | Viewed 2075 times ]
File comment: The anchor (one of two) has been trimmed off its casting base and is being assembled.
0147.JPG
0147.JPG [ 193.44 KiB | Viewed 2075 times ]
File comment: One of the ships boats partly assembled.
0148.JPG
0148.JPG [ 173.26 KiB | Viewed 2075 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm 

In this post

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42791&p=288299&hilit=torpedoboat#p288299

I put some pics of V105 Mazur...........................may be of some help?

Nice progress you are doing with your model, congratulations :wave_1: :
Jimmy

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 am 

Jimmy

Thanks for inserting this link and thanks for the compliment.

I had already discovered it and used it as one of the sources for drawing up my own plans.

A great picture of Kazub making serious smoke!

The pictures also show how I got the smaller ventilators shape wrong! I will put it right on my model, and have already amended the plans.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 am 

Hi all

As the painting of the model reached its conclusion, I started on the mast construction. The masts were installed very near the end of the build for obvious reasons. They are strong enough to stand any normal use on the water, but it is very easy to get things hooked round them and do a lot of damage, plus they get in the way during the painting.

This model was the first I had built that depicted radio (WT) aerials, so I had to think how this “cobweb” could be partly disconnected to allow the removable deck section to be lifted off.

My previous model HMS Velox was built as launched, and at that time (1904), communicated via flag signal, so the small mast and associated rigging did not present a problem.

I decided that the aft mast on V105 would be fixed in the deck and stay there on the model. This was stepped into a section of aluminium tube secured in the non removable deck section. The smaller forward mast, stepped just aft of the bridge, would be glued in place the same way, but would obviously lift off with the bridge and removable deck section. All rigging to the forward mast therefore had to be either self contained within the removable section or be disconnected from the rest of the model.

The masts and spars were made up from some light, straight grained and strong “Western Red Cedar”. These were run up on the miniature circular saw, then carefully planed (with a finely set miniature block plane, flat on the work bench) first into a round cross section, then given the appropriate taper. They were finished with fine sand paper. The pictures show the mast components during manufacture.

The picture of V105 in its transportation/storage box gives a light coloured background so the rigging is easier to see. The arrows indicate where the rigging unhooks.

More on masting and rigging next post.

Attachments:
File comment: HMS Velox at 1/48th scale. No WT gear was fitted when she was launched, hence she just has a signal mast.
CHMS HMS Velox.JPG
CHMS HMS Velox.JPG [ 189.56 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]
File comment: The basic mast components for the two masts on V105. These are made from red cedar.
0149.JPG
0149.JPG [ 176.09 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]
File comment: The smaller components for the mast assemblies. The small white discs are the pulley sheaves.
0150.JPG
0150.JPG [ 62.32 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]
File comment: V105 in its storage/transportation box. The masts and rigging (WT aerials) show up a little clearer. The arrows indicate the points where the rigging unhooks.
0151.JPG
0151.JPG [ 119.57 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 am 

Very nice Velox too! :thumbs_up_1:
What color did you use for her deck, red/brown for corticene?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:37 pm 

moomoon

Yes that's right I went with the cortecene deck finish for HMS Velox. I used Humbrol ref:186 which matched up pretty closely with the underside of a chunk of Edwardian linolium I came across. I painted all the "walked on" deck area that colour, but the boiler room roof was painted black.
I believe the cortecene was laid in bands (width unsure but probably between 3 and 4 feet), probably stuck down to the steel deck with some sort of tar or pitch like substance, the edges held down by brass strips and countersunk brass set screws. In hindsight it might have been good to put these brass strips on the model as painted brass lines on the deck, but lacking any accurate info on them I didn't bother in the end.

Anyone having more accurate info please let me know for future reference.

Below are pictures of the bridge and deck of my HMS Velox model (1/48th scale) and a contemporary shipyard model of HMS Cobra (?) held at the Newcastle Museum. The colours of these shipyard models can be a guide line but should under no circumstances be used as hard and fast reference for lots of reasons.

Attachments:
File comment: HMS Velox model, deck and bridge detail.
031.JPG
031.JPG [ 164.12 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]
File comment: Shipyard model from the early 20th century. Probably HMS Cobra.
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG [ 127.31 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:53 pm 

Hi all

The rigging on this model is made up of different materials, depending on (A) what I am trying to replicate in miniature, (B) the properties I need, or are trying to avoid in the rigging threat.

Nylon fisherman’s mono filament is good for things like the funnel support cables. Shorter lengths, where the cable can be pulled tight are a good use for this material. Passing it through a folded piece of fine sandpaper ensures superglue and paint adhere to it better. It is hopeless for situations where you need the cable or rope to hang in a curve, created by gravity, as it has a natural tendency to curl up. Here traditional hemp or cotton thread is best. This should be pre-prepared, stained and waxed.

The WT aerials on V105 needed to be kept taught, but also needed to be partly dismantled as I have described previously. Here I used fine cotton coated elastic from the haberdashers. It is white, but the cotton outer layer takes stain and acrylic paint well.

Sometimes you need to create a distinct downward curve, for example the operating cord for the steam whistle. Fine lead wire (used for tying fishing flies) is good for shorter lengths and tight curves.

Attachments:
File comment: Here the taught support wires for the funnel and the stove chimney are made of mono filament. The steam whistle cable is fine lead wire.
0155.JPG
0155.JPG [ 178.89 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
File comment: Here is the forward mast. The WT aerial wire can be seen running aft to the other mast.
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG [ 140.62 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
File comment: This is the WT aerial wires where they attach to the aft mast
0152.JPG
0152.JPG [ 154.64 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
File comment: There are two steadying lines with insulators, which run from the deck to the aerial. These have small wire hooks and can be disconnected.
0153.JPG
0153.JPG [ 150.47 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
File comment: Each of the triangular wire frames has a hook attached so that it also can be disconnected.
0154.JPG
0154.JPG [ 106.72 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next