The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 103  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:43 am 

Hello Dave,
I saw at mwunderway a Kiev model of yours. Well the very beginning of it. As you mentioned it here as abandoned I wonder how come? (I actually thought you abandoned the idea without any further planning)
Where did the hull come from? Did you build it so far and just abandon it? Or bought the hull and only now decided to quit it?
I'd like to see it finished you know :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

Regards
Roel

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:34 pm 

Hi Neptune To answer your question the Kiev has not been abandoned it's only on hold. I’ve nurtured this project for over 25years . In the intervening years I’ve looked for suitably detailed drawings and collected a good number of photos. I acquired the hull via a German company at Dortmund two years ago but since then I’ve concentrated on other projects. However to the core of you original question "will I be building this ship" the straight answer is YES and soon. I've mentioned this to the Admiral and it could form the basis for a continuous photo/article in WMs from day 1 through to the installation of the running gear, electrics, R/C and the fitting out details. Incidentally only the hull will be used the rest will be scratching built least that’s the idea.
Problem is, will any one on WM apart from yourself be interested in such a build? I would hope so as it would give me that impetus to press on sooner than later.

Dave Wooley

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:35 pm 

Yeah! :lol_3: we need an update on a status :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 pm 

Dave said, Problem is, will any one on WM apart from yourself be interested in such a build? I would hope so as it would give me that impetus to press on sooner than later,

I have to say we are sadly lacking in US members, out of 38 people that look at ID only 7 are from the US , and thats a shame considering we have 930 members, we dont want you to post, thats nice, or lovely , all the while , we like questions why did you do this or that, were not after starting a war, :wave_1: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: ARH

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:11 pm 

Of course there is interest! There always is interest! Do you think everyone likes the ID for the ship it was? I can tell you the answer is no, as honestly, I didn't even know the ship before Ron started it. For me Iron Duke was a type 23 frigate. Same counts for Bill's Indy, I didn't and still don't really, know the ship. I wouldn't be capable of putting it in some time frame really... (well my best guess is the '30s?)
Anyway, I like to see these big things come together, the inventive methods they use, the materials, the plans etc. I'm sure that counts for more people than me, and I'm sure it would be the same for your Kiev build. For me it would become more important as you are in "my" area of interest then, I could learn some great ideas for possible future Soviet large scale ships myself!
Isn't the superstructure and deck accurate enough? Or do you just prefer to give it your own touch?

Regards
Roel

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 pm 

Count me in! I'm also glad to see your Kiev being build!!
It would be great to see another era ship, next to the WWI ID and the WWII Indy, now a cold war/modern ship.
I also saw your other builds on mwunderway, I can't wait to see your Kiev being build here.

Start building (like I will, one day) Johan

253 269 863 261 471 958 220 370 4 21 19 24

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 pm 

Hi Neptune There are indeed a number of problems with the ship you saw in the photo .
1 The superstructure is one piece GRP and its heavy plus the GELL coat which is the first layer of resin when laying up can shatter when drilled.
2. The deck is one piece .and to heavy . It can be substituted by ply at half the weight
3 The hull upper strakes at the bow is way out and needs correction which can be done.
4The platform arrangement on the hull adjacent to the angled deck is wrong and also needs correcting. Its rounded and it should be angular
But apart from those little problems the project can go forward and its more fun building your own superstructure , and deck anyway, being no more difficult than the all scratch built Moskva I built some years back.
Dave Wooley

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:56 pm 

If there is a genuine interest out there and there seems to be. I'll crank up the build to commence some time either late Feburary to early March . As I need to conclude a number of pressing projects , one of which is a book due at the publishers at end of April for publication in the fall of 06. Plus of course order in the running gear, props, motor and stock up on building materials for such a large project . Even though KIEV is only 1:144 it is still a monster model. Now you have got me going !
Dave Wooley
"Builder of Soviet / Russian warships"
how about that for a bottom line title?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:59 pm 

:woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Watch out Ron, Bill and the others, here come the Russians!!

Looking forward to it, Johan :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin:

253 269 863 261 471 958 220 370 4 21 19 24

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:30 pm 

Just what we needed! :thumbs_up_1:
Nice bottomline too btw! You see, there is already plenty of interest coming from the Belgian side! What's the subject of the book?

Which and where are you going to order the propellors?

Regards
Roel

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:44 pm 

I am in too. I may be one of the ooh! wow! guys here, but don´t be fooled by this. I learn a lot from those threads (I follow closely Ron and Bill´s) to the point I am considering a scratchbuild project, but the fact is I learn and I praise because, not building one myself, any possible doubt is answered right away by the builders.

But I love your threads and the way yo build your models! And besides I like Soviet/Russian ships very much.

So, go for it Dave! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 pm 

Hi Roel The book is called "Warships and Warship Modelling" as I say due out about September this year. An in depth publication with a large photos content many of which that have never been published before. Plus of course plenty of photos of models and a high content relating to constructional techniques and plenty for the R/C enthusiast to get to grips with .
Dave Wooley

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:53 pm 

Well Dave , It should be good, knowing the number of shows you attend and the articals you write for modelboats, also your vast knoledge of model ship building, I carnt wait for it to come out, I want my copy signed, :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:52 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Go for it Dave!! Should be an interesting project. We all know it will be superb! :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 pm 

Count me in as well!

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 pm 

Thanks for all your support and encouragement I really value what you have all said . As mentioned its a subject I've been keen on for more years than I care to remember. My mind is made up the project begines in early spring. I'll keep you all up dated as and when pieces of hardware arrive and i'll show these on the board so you can see the Kiev taking shape even before the initial first part of the build. thanks again you have made one guy a truly happy modeller.
Dave Wooley

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:31 pm 

Save me a copy of your book too Dave :thumbs_up_1: and YES, to your Russian build project, the more going on in RC & Scratchbuilding the better. It should get other's thinking, just like I did when I first came on here and got hooked on Rons North Caroliner.
Meeting Ron at his home last summer and letting me see his models, set the ball rolling for me with scratchbuilding. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:33 pm 

Victorious wrote:
Save me a copy of your book too Dave :thumbs_up_1: and YES, to your Russian build project, the more going on in RC & Scratchbuilding the better. It should get other's thinking, just like I did when I first came on here and got hooked on Rons North Caroliner.
Meeting Ron at his home last summer and letting me see his models, set the ball rolling for me with scratchbuilding. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

THAT WAS MY PLEASURE, GEOFF. ARH

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:42 pm 

ARH wrote:
Victorious wrote:

THAT WAS MY PLEASURE, GEOFF. ARH

Thank's Ron, I really appreciate all the time and help you have given me and hope our freindship will be a long and lasting one.

Three Cheers for the ADMIRAL Hip Hip, HOORAY! Hip Hip, HOORAY! Hip Hip, HOORAY!

It's okay Ron I have moments like this. Where's me Bob Martin Tablet's
Jack Sparrow knicked! :lol_3: :lol_3: :lol_3:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:46 pm 

Theres a bit of a smell comming from Hale Lighthouse direction, I think Jack Sparrow is still stuck there, waiting for a high tide, :lol_3: :lol_3: :lol_3: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 103  Next