The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:28 pm 

Neptune wrote:
Hello Ron,

I recall you posting a picture of your "Filla Paste" which you used on the hull, but I can't find it back. What product is it exactly? Two component? And is it waterproof by itself? Or is it only applicable if your hull is already watertight? I'm thinking of making my hull in Dave Wooley's way, combined with yours. An all wood hull, like Dave shows in his book, will require too much skill, which I don't have right now as I lack any experience in planking hulls. So I guess the filla paste, or something similar, would be better suited to achieve the right result.

Its at the beginning of page 4. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm 

Hi Ron ,
I've just read your Iron Duke thread all the way through,
What an amazing piece of workmanship, :thumbs_up_1:
wonderful,like you, i've used litho plate on a few of the superstruture surfaces on my
USS Scott DDG 995, I panelled them using an old cog from a clock, with the teeth
filed down ,,
I've been building it on and off for about 5yrs ,
I'd be happy if it turns out anywhere near your standard,
proberly not but i try to do my best,
Anyway hope you are fine and hope to see more of your work ,
All the best ,
Sealord,,
David, :shipcaptain:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 am 

Hi David, I had noticed that you had used litho and put on the rivets, from what I see of your build it looks very good, and something to be proud of.
I am feeling some what better, the weather is getting warmer, the joints are not what they were, not at 71, :heh: :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:06 am 

ARH wrote:
Hi David, I had noticed that you had used litho and put on the rivets, from what I see of your build it looks very good, and something to be proud of.
I am feeling some what better, the weather is getting warmer, the joints are not what they were, not at 71, :heh: :heh: :heh:

Hi Ron Good to hear that you are feeling better . Will you be at Harrogate?
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:48 am 

Thanks Ron,

So I suppose that filla is two component?

I had already forgotten your extensive use of Litho in this build! It's great to see how you manipulate it and create and excellent appearance. I've been thinking of doing the same with my hull as I'm in the possesion of a hull expansion diagram and it would be a pitty to leave it smooth. One problem, where can I source Litho? I know it's used in printing, but can't seem to find it over here... Do you ask industrial printers for it? Or regular copy shops? Or can you buy it in some store?

Anyway, great to have this build as a reference, now and then I return to view it and get some inspiration in my planning for the large scale gas carrier. The more I look at Iron Duke, the more I appreciate the Iron Duke herself! She has some sturdy looks about her!
:thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm 

Dave Wooley wrote:
Will you be at Harrogate?
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Hi Dave, No I will not be there, I have told Arthur. :heh: :heh: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 pm 

sealord wrote:
Hi Ron ,
I've just read your Iron Duke thread all the way through,
What an amazing piece of workmanship, :thumbs_up_1:
wonderful,like you, i've used litho plate on a few of the superstruture surfaces on my
USS Scott DDG 995, I panelled them using an old cog from a clock, with the teeth
filed down ,,
I've been building it on and off for about 5yrs ,
I'd be happy if it turns out anywhere near your standard,
proberly not but i try to do my best,
Anyway hope you are fine and hope to see more of your work ,
All the best ,
Sealord,,
David, :shipcaptain:

Hi Sealord, First let me say, I am not the best builder on the board by any meens, but trying to show how parts are sorted and assembled and explaining building proceedures there is only a few that are better, as for r/c sailing models there are very few that sail better.
As for price of build, people know I dont like spending money. :heh: :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 am 

Ron,

very many congratulations on a superb scratchbuild. Thank you also for your running commentary and the images that you supplied. These elements provide inspiration for newcomers and 'old hands' alike, and it is enlightening to be able to compare techniques with such as yourself. The hobby is indeed in good hands. :thumbs_up_1:

As I am nearing completion of a semi-scratch 1:72 build of HMS UNDAUNTED (1944), (one of three WWII destroyers that I served on after the war), your efforts move me to posting the same kind of pictorial record of how I managed the build. Belonging to a model boat display team as I do, we tend to leave out some fragile detail on our models due to the hazardous and explosive nature of our displays. :heh:

Which leads me neatly on to this point: Amongst our WWII vessels we have a fleet of nine 1:48 Corvettes, one of which is HMS BRYONY. I am sure that the builder of this model would be interested in the book that you published on the subject. Could you please point me in the right direction as to buying it?

So once again, may I express my appreciation of the fact that you took the time and patience to share with us the trials and tribulations of a scratch build, and that you also were kind enough to give guidance to those lesser mortals who struggle when building projects, whatever the scale and complexity. :thumbs_up_1:

HMS CAVALIER 1:96
HMS ESKIMO 1964 1:96
HMS TEAZER 1944 1:72
HMS PRETORIA CASTLE 1:72
HMS RODNEY 1:72
HMS UNDAUNTED 1944 1:72

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:10 am 

Dear Ron
As kindly requested many months back a couple (hopefully) of photos of the Airfix Iron Duke under construction for which I have been constantly referring to your excellent build log. Maybe it should be called the Mini Ron Duke.
Sorry they're a bit fuzzy. I hope that you had an enjoyable summer's steaming with your masterpiece.
I have now started rigging but have reached a standstill regarding the lines / ropes / sheets ? emanating from the starfish arms (above and below). I have been unable to obtain Sambrook plans and wondered if you could very kindly suggest where I might find these details.
Thank you again for you interest in my diddy duke.
Regards
Brian

Attachments:
Sv300026 (2).jpg
Sv300026 (2).jpg [ 83.73 KiB | Viewed 5704 times ]
Sv300033.jpg
Sv300033.jpg [ 90.43 KiB | Viewed 5704 times ]
Sv300035.jpg
Sv300035.jpg [ 72.89 KiB | Viewed 5704 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:12 pm 

Dear Ron

Sorry to bother you but just wanted to let you know that Jim Baumann has very kindly provided me with the info. I was after (and more) - thank you. Hope you're having a nice weekend. Jim has also put some fuzzy photos of my tiddler on your build log. Better ones will follow in the near future.

Kind Regards
Brian

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:39 pm 

Hi BISHBASH, Only arrived back late saturday, have just fired up the computer and saw your message, your model is looking good, Im glad Jim could help, had a very eventfull few days away. ARH

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:12 pm 

Dear Jim and Ron
Please accept my sincere apologies for bothering you again, I spoke too soon the other day - I am still having trouble determining which ropes terminate at the tips of the starfish. I was wondering if you know whether the Sambrook Plans clarify this, unless of course the diagrams that Jim emailed me are indeed the Sambrook Plans? Do you know of anyone who has access to the plans?
My only other option would be to order copies of original ship's plans from the NMM which would be expensive.
Thank you both.
Kind Regards
Brian

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:12 pm 

When you say ropes...-- do you mean the stays that hold the upper masts?--or are you referring to halyards that may terminate there?--these usually terminate on ay yard arm..?

The plans I sent you are not the Sambrook plans--they are the Burt drawings.

I have enclosed below a few images

also a link to how I rig my small boats here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37536

I am sure Ron will be able to assist you as well.

Good luck

Jim Baumann

Attachments:
Iron Duke4.JPG
Iron Duke4.JPG [ 20.35 KiB | Viewed 5648 times ]
iron duke 1933.jpg
iron duke 1933.jpg [ 88.38 KiB | Viewed 5648 times ]
iron duke 1933fwd.jpg
iron duke 1933fwd.jpg [ 32.31 KiB | Viewed 5648 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 pm 
Dear Jim

Apologies for not replying sooner. Thank you for the further 3 most helpful photos and rigging tips - that's exceedingly kind. I guess that I was referring to stays - thanks. Just been doing awning stanchions using no. 1 size tapered brass clockmakers pins (0.3 to 0.6 mm dia. ) from M & P UK - just the job.
Thank you again.

Regards
Brian

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 am 

looks great are there some digital drawings on the web somewhere for this ship. I would like to draw it up in solidworks and do me one at 1/72 scale I think it would be cool

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:20 am 

Well done!!! It looks impresive. Son Your ship mill have an oponent to fight with :destroyer:viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61941

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm 

Can't thank ARH and others on this thread for the extremely valuable tips and data concerning model making and HMS Iron Duke. Below is one snap of my most humble effort:
Eric

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 am 

Eric that looks a lovely model, well done. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 am 

Dear Ron

I am really impressed by the build. I would like to talk to you offline. Could you give me an e mail address which I could use? I am very intimately connected with the Iron Duke but would prefer a private conversation if that would be OK.

Best
Nick

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:51 pm 

Thanks for the post nick. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next