The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree that deck really stands out. I'd like to see more images of the 5"38 next time your snapping.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:44 pm 

Top of the pack Bill!

The weathering is just so subtle-- really well done--its harder on a a big model !!

I like the feel of the deck--really woody!

It certainly looks a gem!

JIM B :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:26 pm 

She's a masterpiece! Sometimes large scale ships are a bit cold, but here you catch the right atmosphere!

Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Dino

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Here's a short update. I've now moved around to the port side and have completed the camo scheme up the sides of the gallery decks and the island and I have added the 40mm guns and their directors....Take a look.....
Attachment:
File comment: Here's one of the twin 40's on the stern. The gun itself is from HR Products. I've had these laying around here forever. They are cast metal and quite poor. I put alot of work into making them look close to acceptabe. I added some sights and barrels from Steve Nuttal. Before he passed away he gave me a few of these. I added the recoil springs.
DSC02874.JPG
DSC02874.JPG [ 160.03 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Stern view again. The gun directors are from JD Productions, no longer producing parts, and are cast metal. There are 5 separate piece to each one and I found them rather tedious and difficult to assemble. Nevertheless, here they are.
DSC02875.JPG
DSC02875.JPG [ 203.98 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The fwd. portside 40mm and director. Note the catapualt looks like it's bowed. It's really not, just the camera for some reason.
DSC02876.JPG
DSC02876.JPG [ 223.47 KiB | Viewed 1052 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Portside view....
DSC02877.JPG
DSC02877.JPG [ 213.47 KiB | Viewed 1050 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: I think this shot is cool, except for the backround!
DSC02878.JPG
DSC02878.JPG [ 194.5 KiB | Viewed 1052 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Aft elevator now completed. Made the "NO SMOKING" on my PC.
DSC02879.JPG
DSC02879.JPG [ 186.18 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]

I keep pluggin away!! More to come....Stay tuned. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:33 am 

Wow, stunning work. The weathering makes it look extremely realistic. I also love that water colour, looks very convincing! Must have been nice to be gunner on one of those stern platforms. Nice view when you look over that railing down... I wouldn't feel so safe anymore!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 am 

First off Bill may I say: :worship_1: The work around the aft gun tubs is pure gold. Just the right amount of weathering in the right places. Your re-work on the 40s has produced its own rewards but that deck is simply superb. In retrospect CVEs could be seen as perhaps less cluttered than other types of warships but you have taken each section of the vessel and worked it to a very high level whilst understanding how the vessel would appear in reality. So whilst the model may not be an Essex class carrier the level of attention to the detail is of such a high level that you are actually bringing the model to life, a rare gift for any model maker, particularly working in larger scales. It’s been said here on this board that larger scale models can be technically good but clinically built, with the result that the model has no feel for what is real . I see many larger scale models built in this way by both professionals and the accomplished amateurs, this is not to denigrate the skill of the builders but seldom do I see these models with this added dimension of what we would perhaps label “ a sense of reality”. Ted Parr has reached this level with his astonishing model of the Nimitz again a very rare gift. . Bill you have achieved this and more. You are indeed a master craftsman because the model shows it.
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Dave Wooley wrote:
First off Bill may I say: :worship_1: The work around the aft gun tubs is pure gold. Just the right amount of weathering in the right places. Your re-work on the 40s has produced its own rewards but that deck is simply superb. In retrospect CVEs could be seen as perhaps less cluttered than other types of warships but you have taken each section of the vessel and worked it to a very high level whilst understanding how the vessel would appear in reality. So whilst the model may not be an Essex class carrier the level of attention to the detail is of such a high level that you are actually bringing the model to life, a rare gift for any model maker, particularly working in larger scales. It’s been said here on this board that larger scale models can be technically good but clinically built, with the result that the model has no feel for what is real . I see many larger scale models built in this way by both professionals and the accomplished amateurs, this is not to denigrate the skill of the builders but seldom do I see these models with this added dimension of what we would perhaps label “ a sense of reality”. Ted Parr has reached this level with his astonishing model of the Nimitz again a very rare gift. . Bill you have achieved this and more. You are indeed a master craftsman because the model shows it.
Dave Wooley

WOW!! Well, considering your skills as a modeler, I must take this post a an honor. Being that this project is my first real attempt at displaying a ship "underway", I was a bit leary at first. One of the most difficult things to represent in either a model medium or a painting medium is water. It is constantly moving. I must thank Jim Bauman for his assistance with the water aspect. His models show the "sense of reality" quite well, albeit in a much smaller scale. I spent many hours looking at photos and studying the action of waves and things. I feel I have captured the effect reasonably well. Not perfect, but if I do another one, things will improve. I plan to put aircraft on and figures. I am hoping this does not take away from the realisim aspect. I do not wish to make things appear "toylike". The planes don't have clear canopys, which is quite a drawback. I don't have the time to remedy this situation, I would if I did. There are not really any figures out there in 1/96 that are correct either. I am forced to modify the dreaded model railroad figures to try to come up with something at least belivable. We will see. Thanks again for your post. Your comments continue to inspire me as well as your own skills. I have some questions on the Santee that I would like your take on. If you would send me a PM, I'll explain. Best Regards, bill W. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:10 pm 

hello Bill, :wave_1:

I have a question regarding those planes. Which models will be on deck , I guess Wildcats , Dauntless and Avengers , are these 1/96 scale models solid ones or are they as the ie Hasagawa , Fujimi kits. , maybe vacuum-forming is a solution for the cockpits? Clear cockpits are more live-like than painted (dark grey-blue) ones.

Congrats with the results until now , USS Santee is looking really good , I like her camouflage very much.

regards,

Ludwig

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Ludwig wrote:
hello Bill, :wave_1:

I have a question regarding those planes. Which models will be on deck , I guess Wildcats , Dauntless and Avengers , are these 1/96 scale models solid ones or are they as the ie Hasagawa , Fujimi kits. , maybe vacuum-forming is a solution for the cockpits? Clear cockpits are more live-like than painted (dark grey-blue) ones.

Congrats with the resukt until now , USS Santee is looking really good , I like her camouflage very much.

regards,

Ludwig

Hello Ludwig, Yes, all three a/c you mentioned will be on deck. The are solid cast resin. No plastic kits are available that I know of. I could vac-u-form the canopys, but that would require cutting them off all the castings, exactly,vac-u-form them, then attaching them. Then the framework must be painted. Of course, with a clear canopy, there should be a cockpit. Now we start to get really involved. We are talking 12 aircraft in total. It would take me a long time to pull that off. I really don't feel that the effort would be worth it, in view of the fact that most of the details accomplished by doing all that would not really be seen that well anyway, once the ship is in a display case and the average viewing distance is about three feet. I don't have the luxury of time. This project is already way overdue. So, we do the best we can with what we've got!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Take a look at this photo. If anyone can add opinions, that would help. This was taken in early November, 1942. Note the notations I have added on the photo. I believe these to be communication antennas. Note how they are angled out. I have another photo that shows these antennas, but at a 90 degree vertical angle. These must have been lowered to the position that you see in the photo during flight ops. Question, Is that a winch? There must have been a way to raise and lower these. There is only one visible in the photo. There is another further aft, at the same angle.These antennas were removed later on and replaced by whip antennas along the flightdeck. But they are there in the timeframe that I am representing the ship in. What do you think.....Dave Wooley?? Anyone else......
Attachment:
santee2.png
santee2.png [ 892.11 KiB | Viewed 1109 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all. Here's some photos of some more detail added to the ship. Getting close to completion. Check it out.......
Attachment:
File comment: Here's one of two 26' motor whale boats I have added. I don't have any shots of the details of the rigging, so I kept it simple.
DSC02880.JPG
DSC02880.JPG [ 110.22 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view. These are sometimes called "captain's gig". I have to paint the small prop yet.
DSC02881.JPG
DSC02881.JPG [ 110.84 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: An overhead view. These small boats are again from John Haynes. Resin and cast metal, 4 pieces in total.
DSC02888.JPG
DSC02888.JPG [ 111.13 KiB | Viewed 1044 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The aircraft boom. Made from wood dowel and styrene parts. Shown in it's "stowed" position.
DSC02882.JPG
DSC02882.JPG [ 190.17 KiB | Viewed 1050 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Watch out for those props!! Alot of men were killed running into one. Could'nt find the right font on my PC.
DSC02887.JPG
DSC02887.JPG [ 120.96 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Some detail added to the floater net baskets. Just some white beads, with a black wash. I'll put some small netting over these.
DSC02889.JPG
DSC02889.JPG [ 235.13 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The forward 20mm mount.
DSC02891.JPG
DSC02891.JPG [ 178.15 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Portside 5" 38 cal. gun mount.
DSC02892.JPG
DSC02892.JPG [ 167.88 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view. Cadman wanted a couple more shots!
DSC02893.JPG
DSC02893.JPG [ 184.03 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The LSO platform. A little work left on the windscreen, in it's lowered position.
DSC02895.JPG
DSC02895.JPG [ 99.78 KiB | Viewed 1043 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: I've added the portable windscreen to the bridge. This was plexiglass on the real ship.
DSC02897.JPG
DSC02897.JPG [ 206.91 KiB | Viewed 1045 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Signal halyards and flags. Yardarm is brass to minimize bending.
DSC02884.JPG
DSC02884.JPG [ 124.29 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Flags read, November, Whiskey,Tango, Papa, the ships flag hoist and radio call sign.
DSC02890.JPG
DSC02890.JPG [ 131.59 KiB | Viewed 1050 times ]

Ship now nearing completion. I'll add those comm.antennas I mentioned above, then the aircraft and crew! Stay tuned......We are almost underway. More to come............ :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:08 pm 

Hiya Bill!

Have you got a photo you an post, showing the font you need?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:18 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Sean Hert wrote:
Hiya Bill!

Have you got a photo you an post, showing the font you need?

Hi Sean, Let me look.......

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 pm 

Bill,
I have viewed all your ships you have posted on this site. All are works of art. Were is the Santee going once you complete building her?
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

MarkSchroeder wrote:
Bill,
I have viewed all your ships you have posted on this site. All are works of art. Were is the Santee going once you complete building her?
Mark

Hi Mark :wave_1: The Santee will be on permanant display at the Hampton Roads Maritme Museum in Norfolk, Virginia. The Museum is run by the US Navy. The battleship USS Wisconson is berthed there. Should be an interesting trip. The Museum is anxious for the model! Thanks for the post.....

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:43 pm 

Hi Bill Looks like a long trip for you and the Santee but an ideal and fitting location .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:10 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Most impressive work Bill :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: she is going to look awesome whenever you add some wings on deck..

regards

Jose

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

J. Soca wrote:
Most impressive work Bill :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: she is going to look awesome whenever you add some wings on deck..

regards

Jose

Hello Jose :wave_1: Ah, yes, wings.........I am building them as we speak. There are many little models besides the big model. I hope things turn out the way I have envisioned them...........We will see....Stay tuned............

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 am 

Hey Bill wonderfull work as always in your models.
is a good for eyes to see your ships
Regards :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Bill Waldorf wrote:
J. Soca wrote:

regards

Jose

Hello Jose :wave_1: Ah, yes, wings.........I am building them as we speak. There are many little models besides the big model. I hope things turn out the way I have envisioned them...........We will see....Stay tuned............

Will do Bill :thumbs_up_1: i really can't wait for you to get back to Sodak..

Jose

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next