The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 103  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:33 am 

Capitão Norbert wrote:
Hi Dave
i have seen pictures of your boat in the water.....
the navigation of the model is very very good - the ballast very good distribuited and she looks real for me
great great model Kiev
Congratulations for more one piece of art :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Norberto my friend thank you so much , it is always appreciative to gain feed back from others like your self .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 am 

Wow I feel a little overwhelmed and see it as an honored achievement that the Kiev build as gone to a permanent place amongst the great builds of Bill Waldorf and ARH . Thank you Cadman and Sean and thank all of you for just looking in and supporting me on this long and at times difficult project.
Dave Wooley
:thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 am 

Dave,

Wow! Well done, indeed. I know this wasn't necessarily one of your goals but you've given me many hours of enjoyment as I've followed the progress of the build. Thanks so much for sharing your work. Also, you've created an invaluable reference for any others wishing to build this ship in the future.

Congratulations!
Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 pm 

In a place where it should be, top of the board. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:33 pm 

Thank you Bob and Ron

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:56 pm 

Ticonderoga wrote:
Dear Moderators,

I for one think that this build ranks alongside ARH and Bill W. Would it b possible for the sake of us mere mortals to have the Kiev build made into a Sticky?

Thanks,

Andrew :thumbs_up_1:

Well done Moderators, thank you from a very grateful novice modeler.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 pm 

Attachments:
0023.jpg
0023.jpg [ 115.48 KiB | Viewed 2232 times ]
0024.jpg
0024.jpg [ 142.44 KiB | Viewed 2232 times ]
024.jpg
024.jpg [ 123.44 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]

Last edited by VladimirT on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:30 pm 

Dave this is an absolutely magnificent build. I'm trying to decide if it's the best ship model I've ever seen in my life. It's probably even more spectacular in person. I wish I could see it. I always thought the Kievs were imposing ships and you have captured their character perfectly, aside from all of the details of course. Wonderful model. Congratulations! :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:46 pm 

VladimirT wrote:

Thank you Vladimir excellent pictures . I have a number of publications on Kiev many of the pictures are in black and white where colour is the key . :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 pm 

callen wrote:
Dave this is an absolutely magnificent build. I'm trying to decide if it's the best ship model I've ever seen in my life. It's probably even more spectacular in person. I wish I could see it. I always thought the Kievs were imposing ships and you have captured their character perfectly, aside from all of the details of course. Wonderful model. Congratulations! :woo_hoo:

Hi Callen Thank you so much for your very generous praise I am just pleased that you like the model. If you live in the UK then as from the 19th of February Kiev will be on permanent display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton. Thanks again for your interest.
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:54 pm 

TOP MARKS Dave!!

The model looks magnificent!! You were blessed with a calm day--so the water effect is excellent for the photos.

Indeed the FAA is honoured to be permitted to be the custodians of your work!

Really REALLY a great Model, with truly EXCELLENT methodology in its construction!

:thumbs_up_1:

Jim Baumann

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 am 

Quote:
Thank you Vladimir excellent pictures . I have a number of publications on Kiev many of the pictures are in black and white where colour is the key . :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

I could not find this book for some time, but now I have finally found it. So here is the photo, maybe its too late.

Vladimir

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
TOP MARKS Dave!!

The model looks magnificent!! You were blessed with a calm day--so the water effect is excellent for the photos.

Really REALLY a great Model, with truly EXCELLENT methodology in its construction!

Jim Baumann

Jim you have given me much support on this project over the past 4 years and for this I thank you . Out respective builds may differ but the one abiding similarity is in the passion for the build ..
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:45 am 

VladimirT wrote:
Quote:
Dave Wooley

I could not find this book for some time, but now I have finally found it. So here is the photo, maybe its too late.

Vladimir

Vladimir This will help me and it is never to late , thanks for your help and interest in the Kiev. :thumbs_up_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 pm 

Dave,

Congratulations on completing the Kiev, she is looking gorgeous on the water. It is one thing to start a build, but keeping it going until the completion at this level of detail and attention to details no matter how small they are is really commendable. I have watched this build from Page 1 over the last 4 years, and learnt a lot from you. Not only in terms of technical details and construction techniques, but also discipline and perseverance this hobby requires. Congratulation on the completion of the build and thanks for sharing this with us. I am waiting eagerly to hear about your next build :)

Kalkura.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:56 am 

kalkurap wrote:
Dave,

Congratulations on completing the Kiev, she is looking gorgeous on the water. It is one thing to start a build, but keeping it going until the completion at this level of detail and attention to details no matter how small they are is really commendable. I have watched this build from Page 1 over the last 4 years, and learnt a lot from you. Not only in terms of technical details and construction techniques, but also discipline and perseverance this hobby requires. Congratulation on the completion of the build and thanks for sharing this with us. I am waiting eagerly to hear about your next build :)

Kalkura.

Hi Kalkura Good to hear from you and thank you for your comments. Yes staying power or the will to stay the course can be put down in part to imagination. When I commence on a build I try where possible to visualize in my minds eye the finished model on or off the water , it's that visualization that I hold onto and focus on , add to that the support and encouragement from fellow modellers and there is less of a risk of abandoning or postponing the build. I am sure there are times when most modellers on long term or difficult builds have to endure a situation were the sprit or will begins to flag, I think the effect of this can be attributed to modellers block. For some it is difficult to overcome and the more you push the harder it becomes. But that minds eye picture of the completed model does help to overcome the times when the build process stalls, usually in the middle when there is still a full 50% of the build ahead. I know of modellers that have completely abandoned their projects in mid stream so to speak and are unable to generate that spark of enthusiasm to continue. Although it took almost 4 years to complete Kiev it was in fact part of my long term desire going back over 25 years to build that particular vessel . Soon I’ll post up the beginning of a new thread but for the moment there remains the business of moving the model to gain space to begin all over again , then I will try to visualize the next build as a completed model and focus on that. .
I have no idea where this picture came and I can only commend the artist that produced it whether it was commissioned as box art or for some other purpose but it sums up perfectly the image or visualization that I formed in my minds eye , not sharp or perfectly formed as you would find in a quality photograph but non the less captured the image I most wanted to see .
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
TOP MARKS Dave!!

Jim Baumann

Hi Jim Thanks for all your support through out the period of the Kiev build it is very much appreciated. Although our chosen scales are very different I have gained so much in my approach to modeling since watching the smaller builds on this site. Up until recently I would not have considered placing figures on a large scale working model and instilling with the figures a sense of activity associated with a ship like the Kiev. Yes we do live and learn :thumbs_up_1: :nod_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:05 pm 

Superb conclusion to an epic build Dave, another reason I need to get to Yeovilton!
She looks perfect on the water and the deck shows the right level of activity.

Maybe I'm finally inspired to get on with Wolverine now that the snow and sub-zero temperatures have abated :)

HMAS Albatross

Keels laid: IJN Tone

Frames laid 1/25: DDR KleineSchnellBoot

http://www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edinburg ... 2565540179

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 pm 

doog_k wrote:
Superb conclusion to an epic build Dave, another reason I need to get to Yeovilton!
She looks perfect on the water and the deck shows the right level of activity.

Maybe I'm finally inspired to get on with Wolverine now that the snow and sub-zero temperatures have abated :)

Hi doog good to hear from you . If you can make the long trek it will be great to have a chat. Always so much to see at Yeovilton I still haven't seen it all .

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm 

As mentioned most of the deck detail has been added , a bit of tweaking here and there to get the detail at least looking as if it could be how it was . Rigging the two cranes will be one of the last jobs but here is one of the tasks that was on the long list of must do's that I set myself 12 months ago , the tie downs for several of the Forger Yak 38s in dispersal .
Dave Wooley
Dave Wooley

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 103  Next