The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:49 pm 

russclark, do You know this book?:

Link for download:

Your friendly neighbourhood moderator here
Links leading to illegal downloads etc removed.
Please do not post links to pirate sites!
HMAS

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 am 

Hi Russ,

great work. You´re right with the flat hull bottom/Dock keels.

We look forward to watch your build!

Bye!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 am 
Hi Russ,

109 asked me about help for a shipmodel-fan - you! So, if I can help...
Very helpful is the Loef-plan of Admiral Scheer (it´s in 1:500 and old [1940], but you can find it on ebay). Another acceptable plan is by vth. I´ve heard about Hans Gally planning to make a new plan of Scheer public?! If you need help, have a look on my site htttp://sophie-caesar.de or contact me. I´m shure I can help you building up Sophie Caesar.
Anyway, SC is a great modeling subject!
Wish you a happy new year!

Bye

Volker

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 am 

hello guest and bernt,thank you for the link ,it should be very helpful :thumbs_up_1: .hello gary 71 i don't know what you the link was but the board moderator called it a pirate site,so it did not show up.no i have not seen this book,it must be printed by pirates :big_grin: :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 pm 

hello all fellow modelers,been working on hull frames.the bow and stern of the center board has a piece of heavy styrene added for the last little bit,this makes it easyer to make the transition to the bow.the frames and center board are slotted ,the frames from the bottom and the center board from the top,this allows the frame to slide in from above.there are 28 hull frames to cut from 1/4"plywood.it is tedious work cutting them,i broke 3 blades ,it is just about impossible the get all 28 frames perfect,if they end up to big just sand them down,if they end up a little small i just glue a piece of styrene the right thickness on which ever side needs to be wider.this is easyer then cutting a new frame,i use plain old white carpenters glue to attach the frames to the center board.before the planking can start the center board has to be fastened to somthing to keep it true,i use a board,make sure it is flat no twist in it.the center board only has to be held steady for a few planks .then it can be taken off to make it easyer to work on.

Attachments:
File comment: this shows the styrene cut into the bow
f1.jpg
f1.jpg [ 94.8 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
File comment: this is the 1/4" cuts in the frame and center board
f2.jpg
f2.jpg [ 116.58 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
File comment: sliding frame in
f3.jpg
f3.jpg [ 118.38 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
f4.jpg
f4.jpg [ 117.28 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
File comment: a look at the styrene added
f5.jpg
f5.jpg [ 123.81 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
File comment: one of the most valuable tools,a scrole saw
f10.jpg
f10.jpg [ 138.58 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
File comment: frames dry fitted
f9.jpg
f9.jpg [ 100.88 KiB | Viewed 2228 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 am 

Hi Russ, your work looks very neat in deed! My work with the scroll saw obviously needs some practice.......

Having nearly finished the bow section on my Slava (1/72 scale) , and having struggled a fair bit, I intend to try the following on my next hull construction:

I will fill the space between the frames making up the fore peak area with a "workable" material, say balsa. This will help keep the frames square, if they need help, during the planking process; (I tend to put my planks under a bit of strain, it seems to help gain the overall shape) and it will also give the planks something to bond to between the frames.

I am looking forward to "watching" you plank your hull and picking up some more tips.

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm 

Hi Russ you are very fast in the hull mounts..
the work as always very good :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 pm 

i changed the name topic ,i am sure its going to be sheer.to late to turn back now.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:14 am 

Hi Russ Great job on your framing up, particularly the bow section. As Norbert has said you do not waste any time. Question do you add the camber to the deck, later?
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:54 am 

that is a good question dave.i have been worrying about keeping every thing sqaure and true that adding camber to the frames when cutting them out would have added another detail to try to keep the same on both sides of the frame.the hull is only 6"wide at the widest beam,the amount of deck showing there is very little.what i'm getting at is i don't know if one would even see the camber.haveing said that it would be fairly easy to add,just add differant tickness of styrene strips from bow to stern on the frames,from the center to the edge..i will ponder this.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:14 pm 

just a little update.i have fitted balsa blocks in the bow and stern,and planked the hull. the planking stops where at the prop shafts start to pull away from the hull,i will drill a hole in the end and then fit a shaft in then try to fiqure out how to make the rest of it.that will not happen till the the hull is completly faired as it would be hard to sand in behind the strut assembly.next thing to do is mix up some epoxy and coat the entire hull this is not to fill anything it is to glue all the planks to the frames.it makes a gooey mess but this way i know that the planks will not spring.i paint it inside and out..oh first i rough sand any high spots in the planking down.if it ends up i little thin in the odd spot no problum as there will be a layer of fiberglass bondo that goes on, then after that fairing putty.

Attachments:
File comment: this frame was i little narrow added styrene strip
f15.jpg
f15.jpg [ 130.55 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
File comment: this frame not high enough balsa strip added
f16.jpg
f16.jpg [ 115.88 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
h3.jpg
h3.jpg [ 111.62 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
File comment: balsa blocks added
h4.jpg
h4.jpg [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
File comment: sanded down to shape
h8.jpg
h8.jpg [ 112.18 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
File comment: bow sanded down,you can see the styrene piece that was added .this makes it hard to sand away to much
h9.jpg
h9.jpg [ 141.14 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
File comment: planking on the prop shaft tunnels
P1150003.JPG
P1150003.JPG [ 79.29 KiB | Viewed 2023 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 pm 

well the hull is now very strong,after painting it with resin which stuck everything together,i now coated the out side of the hull with bondo which has fiberglass strands in it.one has to be fast here as it sets up in about 10 min..not much time to mix it and apply.it is not easy to spread smothly as you can see ,but all i whan't it to do is fill in all the low spots and sharpe edges,bondo glazing putty is what i will use to fair the hull.once it is set up i sand it with a power sander,it would take forever and a day by hand.the hull is now about 50%wood and 50% resin and bondo glass.next is to fair the hull it takes 3 or 4 apllications of glazing putty to do this ,it takes awhile.i ordered a couple of books ,but after 2 weeks i got a reply saying they are out of print :heh: .if anyone has info or pics of the bridge as of 1940-44 it would realy help,i have some, thanks to dave and a web site of volker weischenberg,but the more the merrier.

Attachments:
File comment: here you can see the resin slopped on the inside,the plywood piece is where the stand mounts will go.
h1.jpg
h1.jpg [ 120.25 KiB | Viewed 1979 times ]
File comment: this is the stuff i yous and the unsanded bondo
b4.jpg
b4.jpg [ 136.66 KiB | Viewed 1979 times ]
File comment: this is all the sanding needed as it is alot easyer to fair things with glazing putty
h2.jpg
h2.jpg [ 97.21 KiB | Viewed 1979 times ]
h3.jpg
h3.jpg [ 99.43 KiB | Viewed 1979 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 am 

Hi Russ I stand back in amazement at the short time line for the construction of the hull you will be embarking on the superstructure in no time . I have sent you some pictures of the mast area on Scheer hope they help .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Keep up the outstanding work

Last edited by Dave Wooley on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:41 am 

Nice work Russ.

I can see the correct bow technique for my Kirov now :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Andrew
:wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 am 

thank you for the pics dave,every thing helps.i thought the shafts came straight out ,but i see they angle down a bit. hi andrew i hope things are starting to dry out down under.bernd if one looks at the last pic you can see where the dock keels are they are not as pronounced as on the bismark i think.hopefully they will show up better as i fair the hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am 

hello all, been fairing the hull for the last few days,the sheer has a nice long slim hull compared to a battleship.this hull is comeing along very well.the bondo glass used to for the first layer is hard to sand.tough to get it realy smoth ,the bondo putty i use to make it dimple free, sands easy i do it by hand ,but it still makes a lot of dust.the first two applications go one realy thick,sanding removes most of it.after that two or three more applications but only to the low spots.it is realy hard to see imperfections as the applictions move along.the last go at it is just little dabs here and there.i must have got the bow right ,i am very pleased with the way it ended up.heres a few pics

Attachments:
File comment: bondo putty appled very thick
f1.jpg
f1.jpg [ 111.35 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]
File comment: sanded down
f8.jpg
f8.jpg [ 139.02 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]
File comment: second layer
f5.jpg
f5.jpg [ 111.07 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]
File comment: here you can see the spot filling for dimples and dips
f3.jpg
f3.jpg [ 103.42 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]
File comment: all the filling done,once primed it will show up anything i missed
f9.jpg
f9.jpg [ 100.64 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]
File comment: finished bow
f7.jpg
f7.jpg [ 94.62 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 pm 

Hi Russ that is a superb job . Question will you be painting the hull first then start on the superstructure .Also what type of paint will you be using for the hull ? This is developing in to a classic scratch build .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm 

hi there dave,a few more main things on the hull ,prop shaft tubes and struts the armor belt and some kind of plating or plating lines.the prop tube is going to be challenging , i have a idea but i am going to make sure it looks o.k before i show it.on this hull i would like to add water pickups and a few other thru hull type fittings.there are also a millon port holes :heh: .very repetative work.i think i will put them in after priming ,but before the finish paint.i will put the deck on before i start the superstructure so i can pre fit everthing were it belongs.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm 

russclark wrote:
hello all, been fairing the hull for the last few days,the sheer has a nice long slim hull compared to a battleship.this hull is comeing along very well.the bondo glass used to for the first layer is hard to sand.tough to get it realy smoth ,the bondo putty i use to make it dimple free, sands easy i do it by hand ,but it still makes a lot of dust.the first two applications go one realy thick,sanding removes most of it.after that two or three more applications but only to the low spots.it is realy hard to see imperfections as the applictions move along.the last go at it is just little dabs here and there.i must have got the bow right ,i am very pleased with the way it ended up.heres a few pics

Hi Russ,

I hear what you say about sanding, I have a day off work today, Australia Day, guess what I will be doing..........sanding :woo_hoo:

As DW says, your hull is looking mighty fine. :good_job:

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
:wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:11 pm 

andrew it is simply amazing,how many times of filling and sanding it takes to get the hull fair.I am constructing the prop shaft tubes.I am a bit of a scronger when it comes to finding differant fittings and stuff, there is very little photo-etch or accesories in 1/144 .i spend a lot of time looking for things that look like the part i want to build,craft shops,dollar stores and the such.the prop shafts where right under my nose,ball point pens.i found two in the stash of pens that where out of ink,that matched up darn close to the real things,all i had to do was flaten one side to match the hull,redrill the hole to my shaft size and ,'bobs your uncle' it looked pretty good.i have two sets of plans but not one of them has the armor belt shown or plating,one shows it so high up that it covers the lower line of port holes.i know this is wrong,i have some pics showing the stern area ,but not the bow.i can fiqure out the length of it but the depth eludes me.any input on this would be very helpful.

Attachments:
File comment: this is the pen,trimed and drilled out to the shaft size
s1.jpg
s1.jpg [ 138.62 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
File comment: this is sytyrene that the shaft will slide onto
s3.jpg
s3.jpg [ 109.33 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
File comment: on the under side i gut a slot for the styrene to slide into
s2.jpg
s2.jpg [ 108.44 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
File comment: bondo putty great stuff
s4.jpg
s4.jpg [ 108.27 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
File comment: sanded down
s5.jpg
s5.jpg [ 137.91 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
File comment: done
s6.jpg
s6.jpg [ 139.1 KiB | Viewed 1798 times ]
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next