The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:00 am 

This started out as I had some bits of plywood left over and did not just want to throw them away so decided to make a forshortened ship coming straight at the viewer. It is a bit of a Guessing game but is a stupid idea.

Now I am British and Live in the British Isles and tend to just make Royal Navy Ships. There is nothing wrong with Other Nations Ships but as the Royal Navy has had myriad Ship Types, Names and varied Naval History I am always coming up with one idea or another with the choices for pictures. So the Ship is British heading out of Portsmouth (Spinaker tower).

Hopefully it resembles a T45, so which one.
On checking the number to see which one, there is no D38 ?
Also what is that rope around the outside and feathery thing.

At this point possible loss of interest all round, told you it was daft. If asked "there's no so such Ship" to which I would shrug My Shoulders.

Strange rope and feathered thing around the outside.
Would anyone investigate and how - well Royal Navy Warships have Crests, so you need to check crests.
This is a big ASK.
As its not a Ship of this Daring, could it be a Ship name from a previous Daring class. There was one in the 1950's they would find alternate names.

Checking the Crests of them should give you the Name of this Model.
If you check the Ships Motto - difficult to find you then can ask a question.

I will post the Answer on this next week Saturday 28th January with Picture.

This is a stupid idea but it passed the time and was totally pointless, but has led Me to Making something rather interesting which I will post once finished to a better standard.

All the Best Happy Modelling and Thanks to everyone for the Submissions Which I thoroughly Enjoy.
Cheers
Shaun

Attachments:
File comment: Picture 1
Idea_1.jpeg
Idea_1.jpeg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 476 times ]
File comment: Picture 2
Idea_2.jpeg
Idea_2.jpeg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 476 times ]
File comment: picture 3
Idea_3.jpeg
Idea_3.jpeg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 476 times ]
Idea_4.jpeg
Idea_4.jpeg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 476 times ]
Idea_5.jpeg
Idea_5.jpeg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 476 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:44 pm 

Very creative! The effect is really excellent. Would make for an excellent stereoscopic photo if you take two shots side-by-side.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:04 am 

Good Morning.
Cheers Timothy, my photography skills are not great but will give that a go when the weather improves.

Now if you search British Daring Class destroyers from 1952 the names were eventually
HMS Daring, HMS Delight, HMS Dainty, HMS Diamond, HMS Defender, HMS Decoy, HMS Diana, HMS Duchess.

Now looking up the crests for each you would spot the surround of My D38 resembles (poorly) HMS Decoys, (Crest Below from Internet). Which is a badge on a Field Green, a Hawk's lure gold.
The information can be found round about under HMS Decoy H75 launched in 1932, a D class destroyer. from Wikipedia.

Now the motto for the Ship from the same source was
Cave quod celo
(Beware what I hide)

So if I was Asked by anyone "What does it hide", I would take off the front and we would have a tot of Rum.

This would never happen, as I said a very long winded waste of time - who would bother to investigate?

A better idea all round which I came up with after the event, an I mean no disrespect to Ship or individuals would be to have a Ship that meant something to an individual. Could be the either served on or much admired Ship or someone who served on it and as a REMEMBRANCE, on the Ships date of Commissioning, Joining, or when lost have a drink to it or Fallen Sailor on said date.

I made this at the same time as another couple of smaller Ships which have led to another wierd but interesting idea which I will show next Month, Cheers and All the Best
Shaun

Attachments:
Idea_an1.jpeg
Idea_an1.jpeg [ 966.81 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]
Decoy_crest.jpeg
Decoy_crest.jpeg [ 16.46 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]
Idea_an2.jpeg
Idea_an2.jpeg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 401 times ]
Idea_an3.jpeg
Idea_an3.jpeg [ 604.15 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]
Idea_an4.jpeg
Idea_an4.jpeg [ 531.07 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]