The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:47 am 

I entered NOTOTO here but possibly that thread and this one should be in the 1/1250 Forum. Entering this here as said I would but possibly should be moved.
My Ships are around the size of 1/1172 though foreshorten so a mix of scales.
I use Balsa Wood, small bits of plastic and etch and have photo’s of various stages and My working out so you should get the jist of it.

My goal is for something that is relatively quick to do, around 10hrs or less for ex-Matelots, but has to capture the feeling and look of the Ship but most importantly have something about the individual who was on it. I am not there yet and this particular avenue of investigation actually does not work but :-
1. They are not that good just the minimum detail required to look like the Type and Ship in question.
2. I reckon they should be OK for background to 1/700 pictures I do to add extra interest.
3. Ok for a few Matelot in jokes for My own amusement.
4. The Foreshortening is due to most Ships are seen from a distance, with most intricacies lost when viewed from angles, like a 2D picture on the wall but slightly 3D.
5. Ship only right from particular viewpoint, get too close, view side-on or from behind and its wrong.

My kind of plan.
Attachment:
T22_foreshorten.jpg
T22_foreshorten.jpg [ 987.14 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

A Cut out shape of hull with side and deck angles done by knife and then slow fine sandpaper. As Balsa wood so soft I coat in “Ronseal” Wet Rot Wood Hardener.
Attachment:
T22_B1_F.jpg
T22_B1_F.jpg [ 807.57 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

The overhanging decks I use fine sandpaper thats doubled over, superstructure a mix of balsa and plastic. Details then in etch or electrical metal core. Paint and OK
Attachment:
T22_B1_I.jpg
T22_B1_I.jpg [ 948.5 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

Attachment:
T22_B1_P.jpg
T22_B1_P.jpg [ 583.89 KiB | Viewed 2952 times ]

I will reply to this with finished pictures

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:53 am 

So this particular picture is just for Me and a bit childish but explained.

The Joke in this one is HMS Broadsword had the nickname “porksword” so I made the individual who went to Sea on it the head Regulator (policeman) the Master-at-Arms, called Master, then obviously name of Bates. So just for My amusement Master Bates on Porksword – Childish I know sorry about that. Got a few others to do just as daft which I will post when completed on this Forum if no ones too upset about it.
Attachment:
T22_B1_R_Broadsword.jpg
T22_B1_R_Broadsword.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 2948 times ]

Attachment:
T22_B1_Q1.jpg
T22_B1_Q1.jpg [ 825.38 KiB | Viewed 2948 times ]

Report this post