The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:26 am 

Hi everyone. It's time for a new 1/350th survey for future kits for Dragon. Why don't you guys give me a top five, any genre, any timeframe. Now keep in mind, I have to set some limits here. If you mention a subject that is already in 350th plastic, or is in development by any company like Academy's Warspite, I am going to have to not count it. If you put a Bismarck on your list, I WILL ignore you. :mad_1: Even if an existing kit is junk, like the Trumpy Enterprise, you are wasting a precious vote. One week from now I will tally the votes and let you know how things turn out. :thumbs_up_1:

EDIT I understand not everyone wants to go through every post, so I will add it here. I will not count votes for a Yorktown class carrier including CV-6, Independence class carrier, Casablanca class carrier, or a Gato class sub. Any vote cast for one of these will be marked down as a vote for an Iraqi coal barge.

Last edited by rtwpsom2 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:37 am 

1. HMS Cambeltown Type 22 Batch 3
2. HMS Tiger WW1
3. HMS Tyne OPV (Or maybe the Latter HMS Clyde with Helo deck)
4. HMS Illustrious WW2
5. Flower class corvette (Could include plenty of variations)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:41 am 

I vote for a New Mexico Class BB. The class includes 3 ships so additional mileage could be gained from the molds. My preference would be a re-constructed BB with torpedo blisters as depicted during WW2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:05 am 

1. HMAS Sydney I (responsible for the first battle and first victory of the RAN - over SMS Emden of which Revell already makes a kit - a nice adjunct)
2. HMAS Sydney II (largest single naval loss of life for the RAN)
3. HSK Kormoran (responsible for 2. above)
4. HM Colonial S Protector (South Australian Colonial Navy) (only SA Navy ship and veteran of Boxer Rebellion)
5. HMAS Melbourne II (RAN's longest serving aircraft carrier)

There is precious little out there that is purpose-built Australian.

Each of the above were significant most certainly in Australian history and, to a lesser extent, in general naval history as shown above.

Also makes a change from USN, Kreigsmarine and IJN stuff.

cheers,

bj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 am 

Easy! USS WARD, any RN Destroyer : V & W to Tribal, any RN County Cruiser , oh and : HMS Illustrious WWII also Us LST.

Last edited by JCRAY on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:30 am 
WWI U-Boat
USS Brooklyn, Spanish-American war
US cage mast BB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:38 am 
I'd like a Nelson/Rodney WWII, any US Baltimore, Cleveland, or Atlanta type cruiser WWII, IJN Tone class heavy cruiser, RM Zara type heavy cruiser, any KM light cruiser, any WWI German battle cruiser, and finally a Schleswig-Holstein or Schlesien.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:09 am 

Here's my 1/350 wish list.

1.) Any US Navy super-dreadnought class {Big 5, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada}
The possibilities are limitless in many eras.

2.) USS Wasp CV-7
A one-off, very unique "Enterprise-light" treaty-carrier design.

3.) Any US Navy "treaty cruiser" class {Pensacola, Northampton, Portland}
Again, limitless possibilities here. Any era.

4.) Any RN "County" cruiser class {include Exeter and York with this as they were essentially a scaled down "County" class.}
Same idea, so many variants in the "County" class alone. Any era. Exeter being quite famous, York would be interesting to compare
alongside Exeter with the differing mast setup.

5.} Any RN Illustrious class carrier {ww2 era} and the original "Ark Royal" at the beginning of WW2 {Bismarck episode}.
Would fill an immense void, incredible amount of variants on Illustrious class alone. A kit of Ark Royal would be the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:18 am 
1) WWII RN County class cruiser (preferably HMS Dorsetshire or Norfolk, but any County will do--early-mid war)
2) WWII RN HMS Illustrious or Victorious aircraft carrier (early-mid war)
3) WWII RN Town class cruiser (early-mid war)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:25 am 
My list

1. SMS SEYDLITZ (BC) - nearly sunk at Doggerbank and Jutland
2. SMS BADEN/BAYERN (BB)
3. B-Boat (DD) - formed the famous and feared 2. T-FLottilla, the first ships fighting at Jutland
4. HMS TIGER - nearly sunk at Doggerbank and Jutland
5. SMS HINDENBURG - last commissioned and most sophisticated warship of the IGN

Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:29 am 

Pre-War CV-5 USS Yorktown
HMS Dreadnought
HMS Invincible
HMS Queen Mary
Any one of the Big 5 as built

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 am 

1: HMS Nelson or HMS Rodney
2: Any RN WWII carrier
OK, time to be patriotic (i.e. whishful thinking) :woo_hoo:
3: HSwMS Tre Kronor or HSwMS Göta Lejon; the last two cruisers in the Swedish navy
4: HSwMS Halland or HSwMS Småland; the most powerful destroyers ever in the Swedish navy, sometimes referred to as mini-cruisers
5: Anyone of the three coastal defence ships (pansarskepp) of the Sverige class (HSwMS Sverige, HSwMS Drottning Victoria or HSwMS Gustav V)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:24 am 

Essex class... just kidding!
All in 1/350th:

1) CV-5 Yorktown Coral Sea/ Midway
2) Flush-deck four piper (USS Ward Pearl Harbor/ APD, USS Reuben James, HMS Campletown, IJN Patrol Boat 102, acres of possibilities)
3) Bogue class CVE
4) HMS Dreadnaught
5) HMS Ark Royal (Bismarck time frame)

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 am 

My choices:

1) USS Yorktown CV-5 (1942)
2) USS Houston CA-30 (1942)
3) USS Juneau CL-52 (1942)
4) HMS Dorsetshire (5/41)
5) HMS Illustrious (Taranto)

Many many more choices! Unless you've let the proverbial "cat out of the bag," Trumpy doesn't have (thank Heavens) an Enterprise in development or production. I for one do't wish to see anymore tankeresque hulls on fleet carriers! The Big 4/5 in Japan will take care of any IJN wishes!

Thanks... John

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:01 am 

HMS Town Class early wartime fit.

Hms Dorsetshire 1942

HMS Colony class

HMS Hermes 1942

RNN DeRuyter or Java 1942

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:15 am 

My "Top" five are as follows:
1) Dido Class AA Cruiser
2) Colony Class Cruiser
3) County Class (you guessed it) Cruiser
4) Atlanta Class (yes an American ship)
5)VW class destroyer

If we get any of the above.I will be a happy naval bunny,if we don`t then I`ll do them myself!!

Cheers Phil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:20 am 

Quote:
...any genre, any timeframe.
Hmmm, really?

1) HMS Dreadnought; with my tastes, it's probably got the best chances of seeing production, so I list it at the top.

2)SMS Seydlitz; a historically significant and truly great ship.

3)French central-battery ironclad Devastation of 1883. What? You ask for a list and think I won't post my most longed-for subject? :big_grin:

4)DKM Schleswig-Holstein; fired the shots that were heard around the world in September of 1939, a Jutland veteran, and should be able to be produced in a variety of fits so to enable a number of kits to be marketed.

5)HMS Warrior; how much can you say about this ship without going too far? Not much.
She was beautiful, the most powerful ship in the world at her introduction, and, hey! She's still around to make research easier!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 am 

My list would be:

1) WWII era Flush-decker w/the ASW six 3-in gun upgrade ... with 0.50-cal MG's and with 20-mm guns ... 27 ships

2) WWII era Flush-decker w/the early war four 4-in configuration with twelve torpedo tubes (aka Asiatic Fleet 1941-42) and mid-1942 on with six torpedo tubes ... a bunch

3) WWII era Flush-decker w/the DMS/DM/APD/AVD mods ... a bunch, these ships were EVERYWHERE in the Pacific war

Hint, there are upwards of 273 Flush-deckers in USN/RN/USSR/IJN colors that can be modeled from 1918 to 1945 and a good kit in 1/350 scale plastic has never been done

4) OMAHA class Light Cruiser ... ten ships

5) It falls out of the Poll criteria but, a GOOD FLETCHER class kit ... with configurations not done yet (in 1/350 scale plastic) including 1950's

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:21 pm 
Starfighter Decals
Starfighter Decals

CV-5 CV-6 CV-8. Properly designed this mold can do at least 5 releases. This first company that releases this kit properly researched and molded in either 1/350 or 1/700 will have enough operating capital to do any of their pet projects, period. Ignore it at your peril :deadhorse:

That covers 3, for the last 2, US Essex Class CV with SCB-27C/125 and 27C/144. You won't make as much as the Yorktown Class kit, but it will be close. Again, properly designed, reserched, and molded, it's almost a license to print money. It's not like there is lack of information out there for either of these projects.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:50 pm 
1. FRAM I class(Gearing class after extensive modernization).
2. Farragut, Mahan, Gridley,Sims or any pre-war class.
3. John C. Butler / Rudderow class DE.
4. Flush deck Four piper.
5. Allen M. Sumner class (Should be easy for Dragon since their Gearing kit means 90% of the work is already done!)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next