The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am 

Erik W wrote:
JimRussell wrote:
One class of ships that has amazed me with a lack of votes is the Cleavland class CLs. There were a LOT of them made, if you want to model a WWII fast carrier group ( a doable project with the CVL release) they were in the thick of it.

Variants are WWII round bridge, WWII square bridge and the post war missile ships.

They have a funky hull, but Dragon is doing the CVL and the unblistered cruiser is easier.

I am sick of scratching EVERYTHING, as I get older resin just gets less appealing (big money for a pile of fixes).

I want a nice relaxing plastic build - I want to do the Burmingham and Miami.

Jim

I'd like to see the Clevelands too.

Erik

Hi,

I have voted, naturally you might say, for RN subjects, but I have asked permission to vote for USN ships. If this was allowed, I would vote for Cleveland-Fargo class as well! :big_grin:

Cheers,

Hugh Williams :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:14 am 

I'll add these for more icing on the cake.

Early war Farragut class

Early war Mahan class

Early war Bagley class

Early war Benham class

Early war Sims class

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:31 am 

#1: USS Colorado/USS Tennessee Class in any fit
#2: USS Alaska CB-1
#3: Mahan Class Destroyer
#4: Porter Class Destroyer
#5: Northampton class cruisers

Tough one to call but I think these would do me fine to start :thumbs_up_1:

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am 

gtbred wrote:
Mark McKinnis wrote:
1) Vietnam Essex Class SCB-125

2) Any Forrestal Class

3) Any Kitty Hawk Class

4) 1980's Midway

5) CV-7 Wasp

Like Mark T. said, if you do the first 3 correctly, you can make many kits out of them and the data is plentiful.

Like Mark said, but it ani't gonna happened.

GT are you casting a similar vote?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 am 
USS Pittsburgh
DKM Nurnberg
Typhoon Class Sub
USS Juneau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 pm 

Thanks for the survey.
My wishes, all in 1/350 scale, would include:

Crown Collony Class Cruiser (HMS Newfoundland, which served well into the post war period)

HMS Renown, after the refit, WW2... very beautiful ship

HMS Illustrious or Ark Royal

USS Forrestall or one of that class

HMS Belfast

Thanks.

Randy Nugent

Post subject: WW2 winners
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:26 pm 

1: USS Oakland class (CL 95 - 98) (not "Portland class") - These ships were ordered in 1940 as the second batch of the Atlanta class. Suggestion: design the kit as Flint/Tucson. Include alternative molded parts for the early Oakland and Reno, whose SC air-search radar antenna was first located on the aft mast and was later relocated to the foremast as aboard Flint and Tucson, and who mounted 20mm guns on the forecastle. Among these four ships, only Oakland mounted quad 40mms during WW2 service. The other three mounted eight twin 40mm; no quads. Oakland, Reno, and Flint mounted depth charge tracks but Tucson had none. I have modeled Flint accurately and can provide information from a weapons officer. The 1/700 Skywave-Dragon-Revell kit is very inaccurate in armament, measurements, superstructures, and the hull. In fact you cannot assemble it OOB even as a fictional representation because the kitted parts do not align.

2: USS Atlanta class (CL 51 - 54), similar modeling situation to the above. These four ships were ordered in 1939 as the first batch of the Atlanta class. The 1/700 Skywave-Dragon-Revell kit is offered as Atlanta, Juneau #1, and San Diego, but another modeler tells me that the kitted bridge is for the fourth ship of this group, USS San Juan. San Diego and San Juan were modified during the war, including new bridge structures and complete re-armament of the secondary battery. "CLAA" was the postwar designation and was unique to the Atlanta-Oakland-Juneau #2 design.

3: Cruiser HMS Sheffield, the RN's most distinguished cruiser owing to her combat actions and to her less-known contributions to the development of radar tactics for surface action (Bismarck) and for fighter aircraft direction. Alternative: RN Colony-class light cruiser. Base the design on HMS Jamaica as in 1942 - 43, the most famous among these ships, owing to her actions in which Sheffield too was a combatant.

4: USS Tacoma Class Patrol Frigate of WW2, built using mercantile standards to the British River-class frigate design. The USA lent the USSR a number of these PFs during WW2. The USSR returned them in Japan, where they were still moored in 1950 when the Korean War broke out nearby. The US sent crews and deployed the formerly Russian PFs against Russia's North Korean ally. This design may be valid for the British River-class frigates, too. A production run for those in 1/700 sold out within weeks.

5: RN war-emergency destroyers of the Q - Z/Ca series. Ships of this series did in the Scharnhorst and the Haguro, embarked General Eisenhower during Operation Overlord, and served postwar in other navies, including Israel's Elath, the first combat loss to autonomous anti-ship cruise missiles. There were differences in the gun mounts among these classes.

All of these kits would be physically small even at 1/350. The Atlanta-Oakland kits should share a common design for most of their parts. Costs for design and production would be low and sales would be good.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 pm 

My "top" five are as follows:
1) Brooklyn class cruiser
2) Colony/Ceylon class Cruiser
3) Colossus/Majestic class CV
4) HMS Hermes (Falklands War)
5) Us Tacoma class frigates

Regards,

John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:45 pm 

HMS Vanguard (BB)
HMS Nelson/Rodney
Town Class Cruiser
British post war Frigates....12's and Leanders/ 41/61/81
British Post war destroyers...Darings/ counties

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:48 pm 

oops!! Forgot the Ark Royal and Eagle in their final fits (1960's and 70's) :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:06 pm 

1. USS Nebraska SSBN 739
2. USS Hornet CV-12 with angled flight deck, Vietnam Fitting
3. Uss Long beach CGN-9
4. Kirov
5. HMS Lion WW1 battlecruiser

THANKS!

EDIT: Corrected my Mistake!?

Last edited by pocketpencil on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:17 pm 

No angled-decks during the Korean War; do you mean Vietnam?

C'mon guys, Enterprise and the Yorktown class are falling behind! :big_grin:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:43 pm 

1 - Prussian / Imperial German Navy, sail, early steam & ironclad era combattants, incl. WWI Seeadler/Pass of Balmaha
2 - American Civil War sail/early steam/ironclad era combattants, exploration, whaler (USS Susquehanna, CW Morgan, etc)
3 - Vietnam riverine warfare (PBR, PCF, monitor, VC sampan, etc)
4 - American RevWar & Napoleonic era sailing combattants
5 - USS Constellation CV-64, Vietnam era

Post subject: Re: WW2 winners
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:59 pm 

Michael Potter wrote:
but another modeler tells me that the kitted bridge is for the fourth ship of this group, USS San Juan. San Diego and San Juan were modified during the war, including new bridge structures and complete re-armament of the secondary battery.

The stepped bridge included in the Atlanta kit (and left in some of the San Diego kits) is the only correct bridge front for any of the 4 in the class. The "flush" front specified for the San Diego kit is wrong for any of the ships at any time. There were minor modifications to the bridges of San Diego and San Juan (splinter screens, etc.) and the positioning of the gun tubs and light AA varied over time, but there was no "new" bridge structure added during their careers.

However, the kits have plenty of other errors that were in the original Skywave release, and it would be good for DML to release an accurate 1/350 kit and then step it down to 1/700. :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 pm 
Hello:

My five choices:

1. RMS Queen Elizabeth liner
2. Brooklyn-class CL
3. Forrestal-class CVA
4. le Fantasque-class contre-torpilleur
5. Charles F. Adams class DDG

Cheers and thanks for asking,

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:09 pm 

1 - Type 45 Destroyer - HMS Daring

2 - Type 22 Batch 2 - HMS Boxer

3 - Type 23 - HMS Iron Duke

4 - Fast Fleet Tanker - RFA Wave Ruler

5 - HMS Albion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:10 pm 

rtwpsom2 wrote:
This thread will be locked Saturday night at midnight, so make sure you are getting your votes in.

Eastern or Pacific? :heh:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 pm 

There's a time zone other than Pacific? :big_grin:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:07 pm 

Tracy/Rob Standard time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm 

Is that Standard Pacific time or Pacific Daylight Savings Time??? :scratch:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next