The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 am 
Scale Decks
Scale Decks

Okay, here is something NEW!

I've been working on these for a while, (mainly when I am waiting for the NEXT round of Arizona test cuts to come back!) and I now have what I think are pretty reasonable decks for the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri in both Measure 22 and Measure 32 colors. These are printed on Matte Photographic Paper, so the color is very rich.

The Measure 22 is overall deck blue, and the Measure 32 matches the camouflage pattern as shown on the box.

Now, the obvious question is... "But if it's not real wood, I could just paint it - right?" And the answer to that questions is undoubtedly "Yes!" However, we do have a couple of tricks up our sleeve on these decks.

First, we leave the plank variation colors underneath - and we print the camouflage color as ever so slightly transparent. As a result, you do get an extremely subtle plank color variation in the decks.

Second, we print separator lines between the planks - thus giving you not a solid color at all, but actually the look of real planks that have been painted. And, since these are all printed and not etched in with the laser cutter, the plank lines are incredibly, incredibly fine on these decks. (The planking is slightly overscale, but it has to be in order for you to see anything at all; it is far finer than what is scribed on the plastic deck.)

I like it; the question is "will you?"

I'll post some photos below, but unfortunately this website doesn't really allow high-resolution photos. I will eventually post some high-resolution photos at the scaledecks.com website, but I need to do that for all my decks and I am currently rushing to get out of town to help my mom move from Michgan to Florida - so I don't really have time to do that tonight. Those high resolution photos will be coming...

BUT, in the mean time, I will make this offer to you... If you are curious, and want to experiment with one of these, go ahead and order one. I'll send it your way, and you can check it out and see if you like it. If you don't like it, no problem. I will give you a full 100% refund, including your shipping costs, if you just agree to ship it back to me and tell me WHY you don't like it. If you decide that you do like it, and you want to keep it and use it, that's even better! All that I ask is that you give me some feedback as to what you like and what you don't like so that I can continue to always make my products better. Do that, and I will give you a $20 credit on your next deck - whatever that might be. (And that new 1/200 Arizona with all the scale nibbing and plank tinting is just around the corner :big_grin:)

So, if you want to take a chance, you have nothing to lose. If you like it, you get a great deck and a $20 credit on your next deck. If you hate it, you get your money back (less whatever it costs you to ship it back to me - which is less than five bucks in the United States, slightly more for overseas.)

If I get some people that like these I will continue to offer them and do more. (Zuikaku, anyone?) If you all hate them and send them back, then I won't waste my time with them. How's that for a deal?

(Yes, they are available in both Box Fit and HD cuts.)

And, with that said, here are some pictures...
Attachment:
File comment: First, here is the Measure 32 deck overall view.
Mo_Ms32.JPG
Mo_Ms32.JPG [ 59.26 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here is a close-up. Again, file size restrictions lower the resolution here, but you can get a feel for the plank lines at least...
Mo_Ms32_Close.jpg
Mo_Ms32_Close.jpg [ 47.88 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: And here is the Measure 22 deck overall view. It has the plank lines, but they are much more subtle. Basically, they don't jump out and kick you in the head. Instead, you don't really see them at all until you look really, really close - and then they just sort of peek out at you and say, "Yep; we sure do have very fine plank lines here - how cool is THAT?"
Mo_Ms22.JPG
Mo_Ms22.JPG [ 60.3 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: And finally the Measure 22 close-up. You can just sort of almost get a sense of plank lines in this low-resolution photo.
Mo_Ms22_Close.jpg
Mo_Ms22_Close.jpg [ 44.51 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 pm 

Just wondering, but how do your colors square up against the actual paint chips? Your deck blue seems a tad dark.

Or perhaps it's the lack of the scale effect? All in all, this is a very interesting concept. Good work! :thumbs_up_1: