The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D Wild IJN Tenryu 1/350
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:55 pm 

Recently arrived, 3D Wilds 1/350 IJN Tenryu. This is my second purchase from them after their Soryu, and I am seeing steady evolution of their kits in terms of design, print style and now through their partnerships brass parts. I am by no means an expert on this class so will not comment on accuracy and just focus on showing what's in the box. My kit is their waterline edition
A very nice and sturdy box with an image of Tenryu engaging in action around Savo Island

Upon opening, one is greeted with quite a bit from 3D printed resin to etched brass and color instructions

Once unpacked, you find a good amount of components

The hull is printed in 2 parts due to limitations of the machines they use. I did not note the locating pegs like on the Soryu kit but due to it being waterline and simple hull shape, should only present minor challenge in joining. Overall print quality is quite good. The few print lines visible in some photos are not visible to the naked eye and after a coat of paint should not interfere with finish.

Deck Details are fair and seem correct and in scale

The bulk of the superstructure is printed in three parts. The base of the bridge and conning tower are printed as one piece. IMHO this should have been broken up more, there is an open deck behind the CT and it will be difficult to paint with it as one part. This was a big concern of mine on the Soryu as well. I would rather assemble an few extra parts to aid in overall assemble than have such are large part. Not impossible to overcome, just a personal opinion. I also feel the CT view ports are printed too soft and should have passed through or been done deeper. There is a life preserver printed onto the side of the splinter shields, again could have been done separate to make it sharper and aid in painting.

The midship superstructure along with the three funnels printed as one piece. This part is very nice and has some nicely printed detail. Even though the main support raft was removed, there are still some supports that will need to be removed on details.

The aft gun deck again is printed nicely

The bulk of the smaller parts are packed inside of four plastic boxes

Details in this pack include the main guns, boats and bridge roof

Torpedo tubes and funnel grills. The funnel grills are very fine, 3D Wild has included several of each to assist if one breaks

Formast is printed as one piece

This box has many small parts, there were several broken free that I did not identify

Propellers are included and you get extra

There are several frets of Photo Etch, this set seems to be designed for the Tenryu specifically

You get a couple of generic rails and ladders

A set of PE/turned brass 25mm AA guns

PE/turned brass Hose Reels

Instructions look easy to follow and well detailed

Obligatory dry fits :big_grin:

At 468' 10" they scale out to just over 16" in length which by rough measurements, the hull was right on.

Summary-
Another interesting subject added to the stash courtesy of 3D Wild's ambitious release plans. I feel there are some better designed components to this kit than their previous one so they are continuing to develop and learn from feedback. I will admit many of the issues with the Soryu were more due to her being and Aircraft Carrier and Tenryu is much simpler as to the complexity of the superstructure and hull. I still very much consider their products "Craftsman Kits" due to the need to join hull halves and carefully remove parts from print rafts which will probably lead to some scratch building at some point. They have upped their PE and turned brass game through their partnership with Chunyu Models and I look forward to subsequent releases, I eagerly await their Oyodo.

Pro's:
- On the surface accurate Tenryu during Guadalcanal campaign in 1/350
- Should be a complete build out of the box
- Nice print quality
- Clear Instructions
- Extra parts for possible breakage of delicate parts
- Waterline option upon ordering

Con's:
- Hull break while simple may be tricky and will require careful planning
- Some surface details soft and could have been added separate
- Just because you can print some parts as one piece, doesn't mean you should(Personal opinion again)
- Conning Tower view slits too soft

Kit provided via dark project fund that did not require CIC approval... sounds better than bought with my credit card and will beg forgiveness rather than ask permission?

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:20 pm 

Thx for posting Matt. A nice in-box review. Sounds promising.

Quote:
Kit provided via dark project fund that did not require CIC approval.

Couldn't you just claim that you printed it? An experiment....

Report this post