The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trumpeter 1/350 Blücher
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm 

Just received the Trumpeter Blücher. I'm very disappointed to say it is just the Hipper kit with a few minor changes to the tower area from what I can see. The hull has Hipper's bow not Blücher's, which was much more raked and had the bow anchor. Trumpeter has made a major mistake with this one. The really annoying thing is the painting on the box is correct. Even the tower search light platform in the painting is correct.
One thing they did get right was the tower bridge which was open on Blücher. After getting out the Trumpeter Hipper kit it is very clear that it is the same kit with just one different sprue. This focuses on the main tower gets much closer to Blücher's. But even this uses Prinz Eugen's tower search light platform which isn't correct. The search light platform on the main mast is the wrong shape as well.
So if you want a real Blücher there's almost as much work to do as if you started with the Hipper's kit. Basically this isn't Blücher it is a hybrid Hipper. All very sad. Trumpeter should get a wrap over the knuckles for this kit.......

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Trumpeter Blucher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 am 

Well,you are right. Lots off errors as far as I can see too!
But it is (mostly) wrong that Blucher had an open bridge!
Well,he was built with an open bridge (a staight bow, no funnel cap etc), but that was changed during the winter 1939/40. Then the bridge was enclosed as part of a larger rebuild of the ship. And the new bridge was simillar to the one of Admiral Hipper.
Trumpeters box depicts Blucher with as painted during Apr 9th 1940. So - therefore wrong!
Therefore: look carefully at pictures at the net, and the date of the pictures!

Or, take a look at my Blucher at http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
I don’t claim my model is 100% correct, but it is close. A link to the build report will be found in the same link. Those errors that are not corrected and that I know of are pointed out.
Changes are not that complicated, so good luck with your (accurate) Blucher model!

Report this post