The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:50 am 

I just received this kit along with Fujimi Sagara Maru from HLJ. This kit is light years ahead of the old Tamiya kit. It has good detailing throughout. And, this kit comes with a seperate lower hull for a full hull representation. I have no camera so, I cannot show any pics at this moment. I am waiting for Fujimi's Shiratsuyu kit(s) to arrive for comparison. More to follow.

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Last edited by Quincy on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am 

Thx for the heads-up. Both versions ar e on order. The mfg. pics were uninspiring so, I'm glad to hear its better than expected.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 pm 

Quincy wrote:
I just received this kit along with Fujimi Sagara Maru from HLJ. This kit is light years ahead of the old Tamiya kit. It has good detailing throughout. And, this kit comes with a seperate lower hull for a full hull representation. I have no camera so, I cannot show any pics at this moment. I am waiting for Fujimi's Shiratsuyu kit(s) to arrive for comparison. More to follow.

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Pit Road's kit: http://www.hlj.com/product/PITW-135

Fujimi's kit: http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ40110

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 am 

I received my PitRoad version yesterday. I can say that it is on par with the Fubuki kits, though the silhouette of the bowform is a little lame. Aoshima and Fujimi do the very distinct IJN DD bow form much better.

Strictly the earlier square bridge type. The kit comes with AA bandstands and deck house for a late war version as well. It will build nicely out of the box, though more detail is always called for. . I am eager to see how the Fujimi version will stack up.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 am 

Hey, Quincy, how about editing this thread to read new /1700 Shiratsuyu class: PitRoad vs Fujimi?

That way, we can keep it all in one place.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 am 

Oh my Lord in Heaven..... my prayers have been answered. I think I'll pick some up.... ALL OF THEM! I've been waiting for a "GOOD" Shiratsuyu like, forever! Now, I can do some of the upper Solomons night fights dios that I've been dreaming of. First order of business, Capt. Hara's DD squadron. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:24 am 

And dont forget Tenacioustanaka that the Fujimi's IJN Shiratsuyu kit has 2 models in 1 box.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 am 

Atma wrote:
And dont forget Tenacioustanaka that the Fujimi's IJN Shiratsuyu kit has 2 models in 1 box.

Atma you didn't..you're gonna give the poor guy a stroke ! :mad_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:39 am 

pagodaphile wrote:
Atma wrote:

Atma you didn't..you're gonna give the poor guy a stroke ! :mad_2:

I had a coniption fit the first time I saw this thread. I don't know why I get so worked up over such a small model but she IS a DD and she is IJN and SHE IS THE SHIRATSUYU!
Lame bowform or not I'm tickled pink. Proof shots of the Fujimi look promising but I do like how Pitroad does their details. Of course, it matters not. All I ask for are accurate shapes and dimensions and I'll take care of the rest. This is going to be an interesting winter.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 am 

Perhaps we should start a CASF Shiratsuyu class thread as well, under the DDs?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am 

Well here you can check what is inside the box of 1/700 Fujimi's IJN Shiratsuyu.
Link:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10158322

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Perhaps we should start a CASF Shiratsuyu class thread as well, under the DDs?

I agree TEE-TOTALLY! Dan, love your never ending additions to the plethera of IJN DD's. This one has been needing it's own little corner or the web for a long time. I'm GAME!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:38 am 

I'm still waiting on the Fujimi kits but I did take another look at the PitRoad kit. It also has a late war mast/radar option. It does not have the air intakes on top of the forward portion of the aft deckhouse, though. Those will need to be added.

Judging from the link to Fujimi kit instructions, these do appear to have some representation of those intakes atop the aft deckhouse, but I've no idea how well done it is.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:51 am 

IJN Shiratsuyu in 1/700 by Fujimi,l will be released after January as a full hull model. That means two destroyers in one box with both full hull option.
So stay tuned !

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 pm 

My Fujimi kit(s) shipped on the 18th. Should be here
sometime next week hopefully!

Bob PinK. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:55 am 

The Fujimi kit has arrived. I think it’s great, and superior to the PitRoad kit.

The detailing is very sharp and very much to scale, more on a par (scale-wise) with the revised Aoshima Kagero class kits. In fact, while I certainly don’t know who, I would almost suspect that the person who mastered the Aoshima kit a few years back is responsible for this one as well. I see a lot of similar touches in the detailing. Some short takes:

Hull – beautifully rendered, nice, sharp, portholes with eyebrows (always out of scale in 1/700 but at least not so overwhelming here), no covers so the hull represents early/mid war fit. Well defined degaussing cable with sharply molded brackets, both cable and brackets are very subtle in scale. Bow form is excellent, particularly in silhouette AND (hurrah!), Fujimi chose not to mold the upper prow separately as with its Kagero kits, so this DD kit’s bow is much cleaner.

IMPORTANT HULL NOTES - A) PitRoad Shiratsuyu kit forecastle is 3mm too long, and therefore out of scale. Fujimi appears to be spot-on dimensionally. B) Fujimi kit, as with all its new kits, doesn’t use a waterline plate. It has a bottom plate hidden with the contours of the hull bottom. The result is that the hull freeboard is lower. If you want to show some hull red, you would have to add some styrene strip as a waterline plate. It’s not inaccurate, just a matter of preference. I, for instance, am likely to add a waterline plate.

Forecastle deck – In truth, both the PitRoad and the Fujimi kits are in error in depicting how the sloping steel bow plate meets the flat linoleum deck just in front of the base for #1 mount. There should be a cutout, as the PitRoad kit has, but there should also be a rounded breakwater, as the Fujimi kit has. The Fujimi breakwater is a little too wide, but can be trimmed. The meeting point is a small error for both kits but, hardly a deal breaker. This is more of a nitpick.

The Fujimi kit gets very high marks for smaller to scale treading, ditto the linoleum tie down strips and major kudos for correctly depicting the turtleback rounded sides of the rear of the foredeck where it meets the hull. The Aoshima Kageros were the first to get this aspect right and it’s nice to see Fujimi pick it up. The PitRoad kit wanes in comparison.

Main deck – also very nicely done. As with their previous Kagero kit, all the superstructures are molded separately, which makes for neater subassemblies, construction and painting. Same comments apply to treading and linoleum tie-down strips. Fujimi also correctly completed the torpedo reload trolley rails; PitRoad omitted a short connector.

There is an issue with the mine rails at the stern. As built, the Shiratsuyus had mine rails that extended unusually far forward, past both sets of athwarships depth charge racks. The rails were also splayed slightly outward as they extended forward. They also hung slightly over the stern. To the best of my knowledge, these rails were removed when additional stern roll-off racks were added to the class from mid 1943 on.

Both the Fujimi and PitRoad kits have the splayed out mine rails. However, the PitRoad kit correctly shows the elongated rails for a pre/early war fit whereas the Fujimi kit rails only extend forward to the start of the stern steel treading. The Fujimi kit also has alignment holes for roll off depth charge racks to be placed between the rails.

I don’t believe the Fujimi kit to be correct in this respect. At the very least, either the mine rails have to be extended for an early war fit or removed completely for mid to late war fit so as to fit the roll off racks with unimpeded clearance.

Main turrets – nice, almost identical to the Aoshima Kagero class versions. The single 12.7cm mount turret is the nicest version I’ve seen, better than PitRoad’s.

Quad TT mounts – molded in two pieces, the tubes and the shields. Very high marks to Fujimi for getting the profile shape of the shields correct, particularly at the rear. Later DD classes had TT mount shields where there was slight declining slope to the shield at the rear, not so for the Shiratsuyu and Asashio classes, which was more square in profile. This is the first kit to get this right.

Funnels, structures, masts, etc, - all nicely molded. Masts are nicely scaled but probably too flimsy to support stretched rigging. I would be replacing anyway with brass rod. Compartment bulkheads are nicely detailed. Lots of vents, intakes, etc. The #1 funnel air intake at its base looks a bit simplistic. The kit comes with a 25mm bandstand mount for the front of the bridge, but no replacement structure for the additional AA that replace the single 12.7cm mount. No radar or revised tripod mast to carry it either, so the kit is correct for early war to mid 1943 versions, in that respect.

Bridge – square bridge versions only, also very nice, with slightly fewer parts (and easier construction) then the earlier Fujimi Kagero kits. The bridge windows are molded as a separate strip, which makes replacing them with PE ladders very easy. The main director is scaled and detailed like the Aoshima Kagero version, which is correct but means some detail is lost. I’d probably replace it with a PitRoad version.

IMPORTANT BRIDGE NOTE – Fujimi markets this box as Shiratsuyu/Harusame. It could be used for Harusame, but only until January, 1943. After that, she was torpedoed, lost her entire forecastle and bridge, then gained a Yugumo style bridge when rebuilt. For anyone who wants one of the four rounded bridge sisters (Yamakaze, Umikaze, Suzukaze or Kawakaze), you could wait for the inevitable offering from Fujimi or, if impatient, kit bash a Kagero type bridge from one of the Aoshima/Fujimi/PitRoad Kagero kits. The PitRoad Asashio class kits would also work.

That’s enough for now. Great kit, certainly the best Fujimi DD to date, in my mind one of the best Fujimi kits all around, and by far the best Shiratsuyu kit out. Late war and round bridge versions are certain to come. I’ll probably unload my PitRoad kit. Takers?

Last edited by Dan K on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:47 am 

Thanks Dan, that is exactly what I've been waiting for. It looks like I'll be going with the Fujimi offering. Plans are for 3 of their kits with perhaps one of the pitroad offerings just for the heck of it. I love accuracy and if you are touting Fujimi as being the preeminent Shiratsuyu kit I'll take your word for it. Now, what was HLJ website and where did I hide my credit card? ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:02 am 

You are most welcome. After all, this is fun.

Some more thoughts this AM:

1) The Tamiya kit's forecastle deck is 3mm too short. Another reason why it never looked quite right.

2) The 25mm platform for placement in front of the bridge for 1943+ is molded with solid sides. The siding must be removed and replaced with two bar railing, which can be covered with canvas. No metal splinter shielding for this class in this position.

3) While I did not purchase the Fujimi PE fret for this kit, I would recommend it for those who have not already, or are not inclined to, acquire the various PE and injection accessory pieces typically used to detail a kit. It comes complete with everything, judging from photos. While you would not need (IMHO) the funnel grab rails (always overscale), the main railings, davits, funnel grills, depth charge racks, etc. look good. A big plus is the PE torpedo reload gantries. And you get two frets, to match the two kits in the box.

I don't love the Fujimi versions of the 25mm AA (their standard 25mm sprue) or boats but, that's me. Those are still better than what comes with the original 1/700 kits.

What, no takers for PitRoad version? Did I scare you off? :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 am 

I was fiddling around with the Fujimi Shiratsuyu hull last nite and can report three observations:

1) Once the injection runner is removed, the hull itself lies perfectly flat. An unbelievably good thing.

2) The hidden bottom plate is too long for the hull aperture. Not a problem for me as I am going to add a new, all around waterline plate but anyone wanting to build it with the hidden plate is either going to have to sand it down considerably (probably from the stern) or cut it to shorten it. It will insert into the hull but them the hull banana's up at both ends.

3) The steel decking at the very stern lacks treading.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 pm 

A follow-up on the hulls and the hidden bottom insert. One hull lay perfectly flat right out of the box. The other had a slight bend at the bow and stern - 1st photo below. Once the insert is in place, the bowing becomes more evident - 2nd photo below.

Attachments:
DSCN7851.JPG
DSCN7851.JPG [ 60.08 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]
DSCN7855.JPG
DSCN7855.JPG [ 66.26 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]
Report this post