The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 pm 

Yesterday I bought Trumpeters new kit at my LHS, it was $89 CND, which is actually cheaper then the best price I've seen online (with shipping factored in). (Buy local! Burnaby Hobbies, in Vancouver, BC)

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, nor the type to go comparing the model parts to plans and diagrams. Are the AA guns wrong for the year? Is the bow shape off by a few mm? I have no idea, you'll have to wait for the real reviews. Many of you are far more informed then I, so I simply offer you my impressions of the kit.

So, what of it?

Firstly, it's not waterline friendly, not at all. The hull is packed with internal bulkheads, and is split down the center line.

Second, contrary to a comment posted elsewhere, there's no included wooden deck. Not sure where that idea came from, but it's not true.

What is included is some PE, more then then normally comes in a modern kit, (except Dragon's Scharnhorst). Unless you are inclined to super detail everything to the nth degree, the included PE is probably enough for you, minus the lower railings which are not provided. It seems an odd thing, they include ladders, radar, cranes, windows etc. but the basic railings? Nope. Go figure.

Happily, the instructions include the PE, inline with the assembly procedure. I really like this, I hope it's a trend that catches on.

Also in the box: The usual good trumpeter instructions, their standard base, a plane, their usual full color painting diagram, and all parts in baggies. 11 sprunes, 520+ parts, 1 PE fret and an anchor chain (yay!).

Everything appears crisply molded, no visible flash, and very much what I expected.

Is it perfect? I'd assume not, but what I can tell you is that I'm a happy consumer with a 350 scale town class cruiser to build!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 am 

I have mine all the way, though I'm sure it'll be waiting for a detail set or two. How's the fit?

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:22 am 

I've found the fit to be excellent with mine apart from a small area at the stern when fiting the deck in place. I have all the sub assembly's complete am just waiting on a wood deck to be released so I can begin painting and final assembly.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:14 pm 
I too have the new 1/350 Belfast kit and upon examination, have noted that the two funnels are different sizes. The AOTS book seems to cover most of the ship's time post-WW2 and I am led to understand that the funnels were, at one refit or other, made symmetrical.

So, does the kit depict the funnels correctly for the year the kit is supposed to represent?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:57 am 

Funnels: It appears these are correct for 1943.

The kit's hull fits together in ways that I did not think Trumpeter was capable of pulling off. Her secondary guns are also absolutely wonderful for plastic. The biggest issue that I can see is her dang main armament. I imagine any full upgrade PE set for her would address this, though.

I'm going to enjoy this build.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 pm 

Haven't got mine yet. But from photo's looks like they did a great job on it. Not to mention they actually put out a 350th British cruiser! I will have it replacing my ISW Sheffield soon.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 am 
Guys

It seems that there is indeed a problem with the funnel sizes:

WEM will be doing a 'correction set' for the funnels and the bridge venturi.

To quote John Snyder:

'Peter Hall is working frantically to have our PE set ready in time for Telford. In addition, he's working on resin corrections for problems like the funnels, etc.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models '

To quote Peter Hall :

'Further to John's post, I will add that I am having to make replacements for both the funnels as the the kit parts are both incorrect dimensionally fore and aft and in width. They should only differ in height as the forward deck house is lower which should then bring the tops of the funnels to the same height.
The other part I am correcting is the Bridge Deck. The one in the kit is for the post 1945 refit. While I am at it I will make sure the wind deflector venturi is also correct.

If anyone has any more things they would like included in the WEM PE set, just contact me and be careful what you wish for..

All the best
Mad Pete'

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:03 am 

can this kit be use for making a DDAy 1944 Belfast ?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:40 am 
Surely I'm not the only one looking to build her in her Korean War guise. Glad to see the comment about the "post-1945 refit bridge."

One should be careful when using the descriptor "wrong." The post-45 refit is "right", not the 1944--according only to my interests. It's a matter of perspective--statements of 'correct' or not should only be made in reference to a point in time, unless said feature just never existed.

So, that editorial comment aside; I don't have either scale Belfast and only some KW period photos off of the web for reference. For those who do know this ship, can you share any impressions of the chore that awaits me please?

Report this post