The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:29 pm 

Yes, she could be done, Bob. Actually, all the members of the Kiyosumi Maru class (Kiyosumi, Kasii, Kinugasa, Kagu, Kongo) have the same size hull & similar fittings as the PR kit scales out to. What makes these sisters more challenging for a conversion is that their bridge is one deck higher, which complicates the conversion. Not impossible.

Attachments:
Kiyosumi Maru 2 sm.jpg
Kiyosumi Maru 2 sm.jpg [ 113.25 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]
Kashii Maru KKK lines #2.jpg
Kashii Maru KKK lines #2.jpg [ 110.75 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]
Kongo Maru #2, Canal Zone, 1937 via NHC sm.jpg
Kongo Maru #2, Canal Zone, 1937 via NHC sm.jpg [ 126.08 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:06 pm 

I forgot about this conversion build of Kagu Maru by Reigels in the All Craft Group Build 09-10 . He used the Pitroad Kamikawa Maru kit for this. His build is on pages 3,4, 7, and 10. He didn't complete her but, you will get to see what he did along the way. Its a great reference. :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 pm 

Dear Dan

I just got my new Aoshima Hatsuharu destroyer out of the box and found the same exagerated hull plating ribs. Must be their thing to bring the hull a bit more to life. I think I can just about live with it, I must say the rest of the Hatsuharu is molded very crisply. So maybe I should give Kimikawa Maru a whirl too? Just got several ships to build first though....... :smallsmile:

Better put the overalls on and return to the outfitting quay

Regards

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:34 pm 

I think I would take the plating off but, otherwise, I say, build it, Andrew!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:04 pm 

Dan K and other IJN experts,

So essentially the Aoshima Kamikawa Maru and Kimikawa Maru kits are identical? So if one could build the Kamikawa Maru if they had the other kits?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 pm 

It would be just too easy if they were identical, mon ami.

The short version is that Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru had their catapults mounted on sponsons on the aft starboard side, so that the catapult sits right on the edge of the deck. Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru had their catapults just inboard of the deck edge, on a deck mounted turntable. Further, all four sisters had different arrangements of the a-c trolley tracks, as seen in the composite arrangement of drawings by Motoyuki Iwashige, and arranged by Luca Ruffato from a discussion on j-ships a couple of years ago. Below (ignore the Sanyo Maru illustration).

Aoshima has released Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru with identical layouts. However, they have differentiated the layouts between Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru.

I'm sure you are thrilled by this news.

Attachments:
plan Catapult and track arrangements.jpg
plan Catapult and track arrangements.jpg [ 75.86 KiB | Viewed 1596 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:39 pm 

Dan K wrote:

The short version is that Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru had their catapults mounted on sponsons on the aft starboard side, so that the catapult sits right on the edge of the deck. Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru had their catapults just inboard of the deck edge, on a deck mounted turntable. Further, all four sisters had different arrangements of the a-c trolley tracks, as seen in the composite arrangement of drawings by Motoyuki Iwashige, and arranged by Luca Ruffato from a discussion on j-ships a couple of years ago. Below (ignore the Sanyo Maru illustration).

Aoshima has released Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru with identical layouts. However, they have differentiated the layouts between Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru.

Thanks for your detailed reply! :thumbs_up_1:

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:55 am 
Dan K wrote:

Wow... This just ruined my day.. I was like wow I really like these I think I'll build a class of these! ... Nope! I don't know how I'll scratch build the trolley and rails.. Looks like my Kunikawa will be renamed Kimikawa :/.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:08 pm 

Aoshima's new tooling makes all four with different arrangements, so you could build them for each kit.

Report this post