The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:53 pm 

I opened up the kit a few days ago and I also noticed the cut out of the starboard bow section. I'm aware some has said this is to avoid a possible 'sink mark issue'. From what little I know on the subject, if that's the case, why isn't there a corresponding cut out on the port bow side then? Essentially a sink mark is a deformity in the curvature of a rounded item during the cooling process. Think of it as a "dimple" or depression on an apple....poor analogy I know, lol. Maybe one of the 3D printer guys or possibly the resin makers, can help out with a better description of what sink marks are? I'm any case If anyone wants the hull from the kit, PM me and I'll send it off this weekend. I only do waterline in 1/700. So its yours minus the cost of S&H.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm 

Sink is caused by the shrinkage of molten plastic as it cools. Without getting into the intimate detail, thermoplastic parts need to be as uniform a thickness as possible. Sink occurs when a part has an area of thickness is above the nominal thickness of the overall molded component.

The Enterprise only needs a single cutout because the thickness issue is solved by coring (removing plastic) the thick area from one side.

There are other ways of solving sink, such as having a gate (entrance for the plastic into the cavity) closer to the thick area. In this case, however, the long flow length down the hull would cause a different issue- warp.

Thermoplastic injection molding isn’t quite as simple as making a mold in the shape of your part and hoping for the best. It’s encouraging to see companies truly engineering kits these days and using some of the technology that’s been available for many, many years.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 am 

There is a 30 minute in-box review of the Academy kit on YTube by MuseumModeler - one of the few ship fans on YT. He claims scale is excellent for 1/700 scale: under 5' every major dimension and under 1' for island. He claims hull shape very good - more "coke bottle" than Trumpie's Hornet, but lacking a little of the cut of the prow. He does point out that in July 42 there was work done to the E's pilot house, but that these changes are not reflected in the Academy, so it's fitted for Midway but not the summer in the Solomons. He gives no more details on what would be needed to make a Santa Cruz build except for the obvious plane swap.

I've got one now (Free Time is nice place in my experience), but bought it before the Trumpie 1/700 E was announced. I'm going to leave it sealed on the off-chance that the Trumpie is considered a better build. If any wise heads can put to some photos of the pilot house, or new AA that would be needed to make a Santa Cruz conversion I'd be obliged. Frankly, I'm really not sure what I'm looking for.

Eric

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 pm 

Hi all long time reader first time poster...
I have recently purchased this kit CV-6 does anyone have recommendations for a suitable PE kit? and wooden Flight deck?
Im working through building IJN Midway carriers (currently working on Akagi) and I will build this to match Midway era as best I can
Thanks in advance for any advice

Waz

Report this post