The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hello everybody

My Enterprise arrived today...and I had to cut plastic and use glue right away! :-) I am not the big Enterprise expert and hence cannot comment on dimensional things. The hull, which was a big issue with the Trumpy Hornet, looks a lot better, much like the old Revell 1/542 ships. Very slim lines, almost like a race boat!
The kit itself from a layout point of view is exactly what Academy's "modeller edition" of the Missouri is. PE is included and so are masks for the decks. The detailing of the parts looks very good and the fit so far is excellent. I put the hangar deck into the hull and assembled the island basis. All in all the kit is designed as a snap together kit...which it clearly is not! The Missouri btw also requires glue even though they say it does not. No issue for me since I glue anyway. On the detailing there are some short cuts...not in the crispyness but in the lack of options. All hangar deck roller gates are molded closed! :-( On the hnagar deck the internal wall details are missing and even though it seemed to have been planned the hangar deck structure under the island is not in the kit even though the deck shows the position of those parts. The flight deck shows no trace of arrester cables...not sure how to do those in 1/700 yet. A lot of parts are slide molded (island) and also the planes seem to be since they show very nice details with molded on props. Decals are plenty for the ship and the planes.
All in all for the 33,95 I paid here a lot of model! Only really down side for me is that Enterprise comes in her Midwy config...I would have prefered a late war config like Tamiya's Sara.

cheers
Uwe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:57 am 

The kit is great! I got mine too...

just to think all the hours I spent shaping a Yorktown class hull (with help from people here)...

just a picture of the hull comparing it to the Trumpeter

Attachment:
academy_vs_trumpeter.jpg
academy_vs_trumpeter.jpg [ 124.73 KiB | Viewed 2371 times ]

It looks VERY good, I haven't had time to make proper measurements, but in my opinion, its the best as of now.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

This kit is indeed a huge improvement over Trumpeter's Hornet kit. We are modifying the Yorktown class set we already make (set 776) to fit this kit specifically. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm 

Some pictures of the lower hull.

it fits very good with Tom's Modelworks Yorktown hulls. The academy might be 2-3mm short.

Tom's waterline length: 337mm
Academy waterline length: 334mm
Trumpeter: we will ignore that for now... :big_grin:

Kitbash?

Attachment:
academy_toms_1.jpg
academy_toms_1.jpg [ 191.84 KiB | Viewed 2350 times ]

Attachment:
academy_toms_2.jpg
academy_toms_2.jpg [ 160.04 KiB | Viewed 2350 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm 

rdh wrote:
This kit is indeed a huge improvement over Trumpeter's Hornet kit. We are modifying the Yorktown class set we already make (set 776) to fit this kit specifically. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Maybe you could offer the resin parts for the hangar deck without the rest of the hull? The Academy kit lacks details in the hangar...;-)

thanks
Uwe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

A detail set for the hangar is a possibility but will require some time. I have a few shots of the hangar but nothing like a detail plan. I was thinking of doing a set of roll up doors for the class.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:23 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Did anyone yet check the accuracy of the kit? I plan to build one of the Yorktowns at some point, and would wonder which kit is the most accurate in 1/700 (larger ones temporary excluded for me).
Also, any complete aftermarket sets (deck+PE+brass) already available?

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am 

Mods, can we please merge this thread with the thread below on the same topic?

I am actually also curious as to whether the ship's dimensions are accurate or whether they might be underscale like the Tamiya offerings. Perish the thought the Academy kits are Tamiya copies!

"Photos of Academy USS Enterprise CV-6"

EDITED TO ADD: Thank you Timmy for the thread merge!

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

This kit is definitely NOT a copy of Tamiya's old kits. It is not underscale. My copy is not to hand right now so I cannot measure exact dimensions but you will not be disappointed with this kit. It is very nice. Trumpeter may come out with an Enterprise kit also but it will not be better than this one.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

Also, the set specifically for this kit should be ready very soon... perhaps a couple of weeks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Very good news!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 am 

My kit arrived yesterday from Free Time. Here are some brief observations:

Since there is no WL plate you have two options:

1. Sand down the locating rails for the lower hull. BTW the lower hull is a nice fit to the upper as the rails on the upper hull are used to align the two.

2. Use strip styrene to fill the gap between the rails and the hull sides. Note that the rails do not extend to the bow and stern.

Some brief observations:

3. The masks are printed on plain paper so they will need to be cut out if used. Definitely not a peel and stick mask.

4. The hull shape is much finer both fore and aft compared to the Trumpeter USS Hornet and is several mm shorter.

5.The flight deck is essentially the same length and width compared to the Trumpeter kit.

Steve

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Sounds great, too! I have one on order from distributor for my shop, it would probably come early next week. Not sure it would stay on the shop shelf, or go straight on my work table ;) In these times it is a torture having to select a next project ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:55 pm 

Just received my kit. A quick check with a ruler and the hull scales out to about 1/702-1/703. This is much closer to scale than the Tamiya and the difference from "precise" 1/700 would go unnoticed. The kit is not without its quirks, though. Now for the new Trumpeter Yorktown offering to see which is the "better" kit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:10 pm 

Dick J wrote:
A quick check with a ruler and the hull scales out to about 1/702-1/703.

Thanks Dick.

So compared to these upcoming Academy and Trumpeter releases as well as the older Tamiya kits, this means the Tom's Modelworks 1/700 Yorktown and Enterprise resin kits are by far the most accurate of all the offerings?

Has anyone actually checked the dimensions of Tom's kits?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
So compared to these upcoming Academy and Trumpeter releases as well as the older Tamiya kits, this means the Tom's Modelworks 1/700 Yorktown and Enterprise resin kits are by far the most accurate of all the offerings?

Not implied in my post. The Tom's kits have some nice features, but from the photos, they have their own issues. I don't have one in hand to completely assess the accuracy and conformity to scale, but the price is such that I am reluctant to pick one up sight unseen. Since the Trumpeter Yorktown kit is also not yet in hand, I am reserving comment on that one. As for the scale of the Academy kit, it is closer to scale than either the Trumpeter or Dragon Essex class kits, so the very slight underscale is not a problem for me.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Could anyone tell me a good set of preferrably free plans for Enterprise as she was prewar/Midway? HMS Penelope is not yet there, so I need to select a new build, cant decide between HMS Hermes 37, Enterprise, or maybe a 1:144 P-40 fighter as a quick build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 pm 

Dick J wrote:
Since the Trumpeter Yorktown kit is also not yet in hand, I am reserving comment on that one.

I am hoping this new Trumpeter kit won't have the same flaws as the hull of the 1/700 Trumpeter Hornet. Otherwise I might have to get yet another corrected Hornet hull/Yorktown class hull from Tom's Modelworks to add to this Yorktown kit, not to mention a corrected island from Model Monkey.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 pm 

Haijun watcher wrote:
I am hoping this new Trumpeter kit won't have the same flaws as the hull of the 1/700 Trumpeter Hornet.

The pictures I have seen so far indicate a much improved hull. Whether or not they have corrected it enough remains to be seen. But for the moment, I am hopeful. When Trumpy puts their "A" team on a kit, they can do fairly well. But unfortunately, they also seem to have a "B" team with less than stellar results.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

My Academy Enterprise arrived yesterday, it is a decent kit! Definitely enjoyable build. I would however still wait with it until a dedicated CNC+Resin+PE upgrade set for her would be there. Some smaller things like cranes would just look better in PE.

Report this post