The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:33 pm 

Good morning fellow ship builders. I have been building models since I was a kid and have been building resin kits for a number of years. I purchased a number of ship models for my retirement over a period of several years and have a question about one I purchased about 15 years ago. Now to the question. The ship model in question is Yankee Modelworks USS Juneau 1/350 scale. While intentorying the contents I ran into a possible problem. I had read on line somewhere that the model had the name of the ship embossed on the stern, Juneau. I checked out the stern of the ship and found the name “Atlanta”on it instead of Juneau. I am aware that the Juneau was an Atlanta class cruiser. I know that some model companies swap parts for similar ship models, where I am concerned is that the wrong ship model “Atlanta” was placed in the Juneau box and sold as the Juneau. I noticed The instructions for building the ship are for the Junea. Does anyone know if these two ship are the same and can I still build the Juneau from a possible Atlanta ship model, or are they very differant ships and models. Thank you very much guys for any information. Dave B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:44 pm 

We have a review of the Juneau kit here: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... juneau.htm

Of note, while "To the best of my knowledge these two kits are exactly the same", there actually is the difference of "the name on the stern of the hull." So yes, it seems you received the wrong hull, though thankfully that seems the only point of difference so you can just sand it off and replace it with photoetched letters (perhaps such as these from Aber and Accurate Armour).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:07 pm 

Thank you very much Timmy, I appreciate the quick response. I see this website will be a gold mine of information down the line for any questions I may have. Have a great day. Dave B.

Report this post