The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D Wild Ryujo Review
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:13 pm 

An in-box review of the 3D-Wild 1/350 Imperial Japanese Aircraft Carrier Ryujo, by Martin Quinn has been posted.

Join the conversation and leave your comments here.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: 3D Wild Ryujo Review
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:33 pm 

Excellent [peer] review!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:33 am 

Good review. Thanks. I had the same issue with the back corners of the flight deck on mine, bit concluded that they must have something to with locating the side extensions that stick out back there. I sent 3D-WILD feedback on the plank widths, too, and they said they'd look into revising them. I asked them to keep me posted. My only other complaint at the time was with the anti-skid on the steel decks, but I don't think the technology is there to fix that. My forward hull section also has those striations on either side of the keel, but that is common to most 3D printing that I've had to deal with in the past. If technology hasn't caught up yet, I expect it will soon.

My parts are still sticky, too. I suppose I'll have to take your suggestion to wash them with alcohol. I hadn't considered paint adhesion yet, but I'll have to try the old toothbrush and Comet scrub down to see if that can add some tooth to the surface. At least there are no dazzle schemes to contend with.

I ordered the Soryu and that is supposed to be here tomorrow. When I sent my comments on Ryujo, I asked them to make Soryu's deck planks either like those on Taiho (which Dan K seemed to like best), or as close to those on the Hiryu kit, since they are likely to be displayed together. I hope my comments reached them in time to make a difference. We shall see.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:17 am 

The issues with resin being sticky and bended parts reminds me of my own experience with my resin printer.
Basically when I started playing with it I manually washed the prints and cured them under the sunlight. Had similar problems - the resin would either be not fully cured or some flat pieces (e.g. 1/700-1/350 aircraft wings) would tend to bend (the wings would even break off the support platform).
Once I got start using an ultra sonic washer and an UV curing station the prints became much more stable. The key was to thoroughly wash all the residual resin (to avoid spills), dry (or you will have white residues) and then quickly cure it - after this my prints wouldn't have sticky surfaces. If overcured however, the resin may became too fragile...

re: painting - I prime the fully cured prints with Tamiya grey primer and it sticks as usual.
FYI: I use the water washable resin

- Heller (kitbash) BB-CV HMS Lion Hybrid

Last edited by vkim on Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:45 am 

Quote:
I asked them to make Soryu's deck planks either like those on Taiho (which Dan K seemed to like best), or as close to those on the Hiryu kit, since they are likely to be displayed together. I hope my comments reached them in time to make a difference. We shall see.

Fingers crossed. Thinner planking should be doable. Staggered patterns, too.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:33 pm 

I happen to have just heard from 3D Wild. Peg holes for hull alignment is planned for the Soryu kit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:50 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

Thanks everyone for contributing to the review of our 1/350 Ryujo! I would like to agree that the review is fair and unbiased. Ryujo is the first ship in our 1/350 full hull series, and later members of the family will be improved on aspects yet unsatisfied.

As Dan mentioned, we have added alignment pegs starting from Soryu, our second ship, and will have them for all late members. After HMS Illustrious, our third member, all ships' hulls come as 2 pieces instead of 3 which could reduce the amount of work to fill the seams.

We would like to thank everyone who bought our kits and/or contributed to the improvement of our products!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:45 pm 

Can confirm about the alignment pegs added to 3D-Wild's next release - my Soryu arrived today! (Haven't tried dry-fitting yet.) Also, the deck planking looks narrower than what we saw in Martin's Ryujo photos, with staggered butt-ends. Product improvements already being made!

Only one complaint/point for improvement: One of the two islands (yes, it comes with both and early and late island!) popped off its supports in transit and broke a couple other parts while rattling around. The packaging is well thought-out - all these little boxes to keep the small parts both sorted and protected - which confined the problem to the contents of just the one box. I suggest that the 3-D printing be adjusted to have slightly more robust support for the islands. It's great that they're easy to remove with minimal clean-up, but in this case the size & weight of the part was a bit too much and it separated itself early.

BTW, regarding the isopropyl alcohol wash - 70% or 91%? Or does it matter?

- Sean F.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:47 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

SeanF wrote:
Can confirm about the alignment pegs added to 3D-Wild's next release - my Soryu arrived today! (Haven't tried dry-fitting yet.) Also, the deck planking looks narrower than what we saw in Martin's Ryujo photos, with staggered butt-ends. Product improvements already being made!

Only one complaint/point for improvement: One of the two islands (yes, it comes with both and early and late island!) popped off its supports in transit and broke a couple other parts while rattling around. The packaging is well thought-out - all these little boxes to keep the small parts both sorted and protected - which confined the problem to the contents of just the one box. I suggest that the 3-D printing be adjusted to have slightly more robust support for the islands. It's great that they're easy to remove with minimal clean-up, but in this case the size & weight of the part was a bit too much and it separated itself early.

- Sean F.

Hi Sean, we will ship you a new box of the bridges as replacement next week.

Any other Soryu buyers who have the same problem, please report to us to get a replacement.

Thanks Sean for your comment! Each of our ships will be better in some ways than the previous ones!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 pm 
3D Wild
3D Wild

SeanF wrote:

- Sean F.

Oh for washing we never tried 70% or 91%. All we used is anhydrous (or 99%) IPA, which is also the thinner solvent for acrylic paint.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:32 am 

My Soryu kit arrived. Flight deck planks are approximately the same width as on the Very Fire Taiho, but the are staggered every other plank, instead of groups of three. I just emailed them to see if that can be changed. I would prefer to use revised ones.

If you want to add etch details, Fujimi detail up etch G-34 for Hiryu contains many generic items that should work on Soryu, such as antenna masts, wind deflector, side nets, dedicated ladders, rails, davits, etc. The caveat is in finding it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:22 am 

#48 is the Hiryu revised set, not that it's any easier to find: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10650402

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:34 pm 

Dan K wrote:
#48 is the Hiryu revised set, not that it's any easier to find: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10650402

The good news is only difference I can see is the addition of the name plate. They are essentially the same.

Report this post