The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IHP Triumph Review
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:38 am 

An in-box review of the IHP 1/700 HMS Triumph, by Martin Quinn has been posted.

Join the conversation and leave your comments here.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: IHP Triumph Review
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:04 am 

Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The result of which is my purchasing this kit. Although I build almost exclusively US Navy and IJN ships I appreciate IHPs commitment to the hobby through production of these kits. Guess I will be building some postwar Royal Navy subjects in the future :-)

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:56 am 

William Smallshaw wrote:
Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The result of which is my purchasing this kit. Although I build almost exclusively US Navy and IJN ships I appreciate IHPs commitment to the hobby through production of these kits. Guess I will be building some postwar Royal Navy subjects in the future :-)

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Did you sign up for the CVA-01 yet? If you're interested in RN carriers, there will never be a more interesting one than that one ever available in 1/700 scale!

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:09 pm 

Mike,

Yes I did, look forward to seeing that kit as well.

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:48 pm 

The (rather nice) Spitfires are the WW2 short-nose Merlin-engined variety rather than the Korean war period long-nose Griffon engines Mk.47s with revised wing. However the Fireflies, also the WW2 version, are quite correct for Triumph at this time. Triumph had earlier operated Seafire 17s, which at least had the same wing but not the same fuselage as the earlier ones.

Later carriers in the Korean war had Sea Furies and the later Fireflies with clipped wings, a more refined nose, and wing root intakes.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:18 pm 

Graham Boak wrote:
The (rather nice) Spitfires are the WW2 short-nose Merlin-engined variety rather than the Korean war period long-nose Griffon engines Mk.47s with revised wing. However the Fireflies, also the WW2 version, are quite correct for Triumph at this time. Triumph had earlier operated Seafire 17s, which at least had the same wing but not the same fuselage as the earlier ones.

Later carriers in the Korean war had Sea Furies and the later Fireflies with clipped wings, a more refined nose, and wing root intakes.

A reminder that the kits are all WW2 fits, not Korean War fits, so the aircraft reflect that fact.

We were never planning on, and are not planning, any other fits of the ships past 1947 or 1948.

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:46 am 

Thanks for that, it was the mention of Korean War that drew my comment. However the comment stands in that Triumph did not operate Merlin-engined Seafires, but her earlier commission had Mk.17s with Griffon engines and "bubble canopies with low-back fuselages. Something for the aftermarket to consider?

Report this post