The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 pm 

The name of the Australian distributer is BNAModelworld. See:
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/rainbow/max_display/50

Joe references one of several Rainbow PE frets for IJN DDs. These are a good example of what I mean by Rainbow as having someone who is very heads-up about how to better serve the market. Instead of issuing a high end set of frets for a particular class like the Kageros as does LionRoar, FlyHawk, and apparently, even Ocean Spirit, Rainbow issues a fret dedicated to a certain piece of equipment for a ship type. So, for IJN DDs, they have have a fret dedicated for funnel grills for all IJN DD classes. Same as true for torpedo reload gantries (two frets) etc. Example below

Attachments:
RAIN-7034 IJN DD Funnel grills sm.jpg
RAIN-7034 IJN DD Funnel grills sm.jpg [ 141.83 KiB | Viewed 2419 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:23 pm 

Here is another comparison for 110cm searchlights. I can vouch for the excellence of the FineMold stuff. Again, my translations are going to be rough:

A) PitRoad NE01 set (Sorry it's blurry. Know that it is finely detailed and molded. It's only drawback is that it's molded in grey plastic, not clear plastic.)
B) Fujimi N class - if I read Atma correctly, this is Fujimi's new std. searchlight sprue
C) Fujimi Clear sprue, possibly an earlier std version
D) Fujimi, maybe from their original waterline series
E) FineMolds WA5 NanoDread searchlight set, highlighted in the example below
F) Finemolds - same unit, not sure why its frosted over.
G) PitRoad - earlier equipment set
H) Waterline Consortium Large Vessel Equipment Set
I) Another Fujimi clear set, not sure which one
J) a frosted version of option I

Again, translations are welcome :smallsmile:

Attachments:
NYvol 17 #3 crop.jpg
NYvol 17 #3 crop.jpg [ 135.43 KiB | Viewed 2417 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 am 

Dan K wrote:

C) Fujimi Clear sprue, possibly an earlier std version
I) Another Fujimi clear set, not sure which one
J) a frosted version of option I

Again, translations are welcome :smallsmile:

I is early Fujimi's production search lights found only in the IJN Kongo and IJN Haruna in 1/700.
C is from IJN Akagi, IJN Ryujho and IJN Kaiyo, also early Fujimi's production search lights.
B is now the standard searchlight sprue that comes with all 1/700 Fujimi models.
D is old mold Fujimi. No more in production.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:25 am 

Thx, Atma.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm 

Today's comparison is specific in nature, addressing only the quadruple Type 92 Mod 4 torpedo mount for the Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedo. This comparo comes about because I'm working on units for my 1/700 Yugumo builds. The quadruple mount was a development of earlier twin & triple mounts; the Mod 4 indicates a covering spray shield for the mount, assymetrical in shape with the housing enlarged a bit on the starboard side. The earlier Shiratsuyu and Asashio DD classes also carried a Type 94 quad mount with a Mod 3 shield that was a bit more boxy in silhouette, and possibly symmetrical. The Type 92 Mod 4 was used on the Kagero, Yugumo, Akizuki, & Matsu/Tachibana class DDs, and on the Agano class CLs.

The Type 93 torpedo was 9m in length (29'6") & 61cm (24") in diameter. In 1/700, that works out to a length of 12.85mm. The actual tube was slightly longer, to accomodate a hatch at the aft end, so I would conside 13mm an appropriate scale length for a 1/700 version.

I don't have an original W/L mount lying around from any of the initial DD kits by Aoshima (Kagero), Hasegawa (Yugumo) or Fujimi (Akizuki/Matsu). Suffice to say they were basic in shape, devoid of detail, and only the Fujimi versions had any assymetry, IIRC.

The W/L consortium created the new Leviathan weapons sprues (still included with all Aoshima, Hasegawa and Tamiya kits), which included a new Type 92 Mod 4 mount with more detail and and an assymetrical shape. It's primary drawback was length, as it was 2-3 millimeters too short. PitRoad had released its own version just prior to the Leviathan release, with more detail, but also too short.

When PitRoad released new IJN DD kits in the early 1990s, it also released the E-10 equipment sprue with a newer version of this mount. Thankfully, it was now the correct length, but still symmetrical in shape, and detailed only on top. Fujimi released it's own Kagero class tooling in late 2010, with a two piece mount (housing and base), that bettered the E-10 version with a little more detail and the addition of a hatch on either side, but it's far too symmetrical. Recently, PitRoad released an updated three piece version as part of both of its new NE04 and NE05 equipment sets. I believe it to be the best version, as it is correctly shaped, length, and detailed on all exterior surfaces. It even has a molded set of four torpedo warheads that fits neatly up into the forward end of the mount.

Unfortunately, all versions have incorect bases. The base was formed in the same manner as that of the main gun turrets shown earlier, covering the entire width of the mount. All of these are far too narrow, though they fit their specified target kits as designed. FineMolds is set to release it's own version this July, so it will be interesting to compare that version to these.

Mount identification is included with each photo caption

Attachments:
PitRoad E-2, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-10, PitRoad NE04, Fujimi Kagero.JPG
PitRoad E-2, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-10, PitRoad NE04, Fujimi Kagero.JPG [ 84 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Fujimi Kagero, PitRoad NE04, PitRoad E-10, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-2 top.JPG
Fujimi Kagero, PitRoad NE04, PitRoad E-10, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-2 top.JPG [ 99.88 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Fujimi Kagero, PitRoad NE04, PitRoad E-10, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-2 front.JPG
Fujimi Kagero, PitRoad NE04, PitRoad E-10, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-2 front.JPG [ 103.33 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
PitRoad E-2, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-10, PitRoad NE04, Fujimi Kagero back.JPG
PitRoad E-2, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-10, PitRoad NE04, Fujimi Kagero back.JPG [ 100.59 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Fujimi Kagero, PitRoad NE04, PitRoad E-10, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-2 bottom.JPG
Fujimi Kagero, PitRoad NE04, PitRoad E-10, W-L consortium, PitRoad E-2 bottom.JPG [ 93.35 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

Rainbow has indeed some very nice pe sets. This is their website. http://www.rainbowmodel.com/ Check their blog too. It has images of most if not all of their pe sets.

Regards,

Berend

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm 

Here's a fun, quick comparison of two 1/700 versions of the Type 93 Long Lance torpedo. The bottom version comes with the older PitRoad BB Equipment Set (#5?), released about 20 years ago. The top version comes with the new NE04 set.

Incidentally, PitRoad has announced two new NE sets due for release in June. The illustrations are incomplete, but, #6 may be CV related while #7 seems to indicate more DD related equipment. Below, from the PitRoad site.

Attachments:
DSCN9913.JPG
DSCN9913.JPG [ 56.31 KiB | Viewed 2261 times ]
ne06_01.jpg
ne06_01.jpg [ 59.82 KiB | Viewed 2261 times ]
ne07_01.jpg
ne07_01.jpg [ 59.09 KiB | Viewed 2261 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm 

Dan,

What scale?

That 7.7 single looks great. Hope they continue with this trend of accessories, I'm looking forward to more binoculars and fire control eqpt in plastic in 1/700

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 pm 

The NE06 and 07 will be in 1/700.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:43 pm 

Dear Colegues,
Can you recommend any good set of fire control equipment for IJN Carriers? Very demanded by me.
Thanks! Greg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm 

Do you mean the Type 94 HA directors?

Attachments:
Type 94 HA director 2.JPG
Type 94 HA director 2.JPG [ 99.54 KiB | Viewed 2196 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 am 

Yes but not only:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:26 am 

Hi Greg, :wave_1: try these:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10190722

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10145602

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10117112

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10017118

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10002526

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10002524

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10002521

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 am 

Greg, those are shielded 1.5m navigation rangefinders, not FCS. The third and last links that Bill posted are to equipment sets that carry such a part. The third link is to the new PitRoad NE01 set, which has the best version. There are two per sprue, part # 16.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm 

Thank you !
I will try to get them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:09 pm 

I was referring only to your uppermost photo. The others are a mix of FCS.

In the bottom illustration of six, top row, left is is a Type 91 HA director for 10cm mounts on CAs, center is a Type 95 director tower with a Type 94 director Mod 2 (protected) seen atop Mogami & Tone class bridges, upper right is a director for Fubuki & Hatsuharu class DDs (model name escapes me at the moment). Bottom row left looks like a 2m director aboard Minikaze/Kamikaze/Mutsuki class DDs, center is a protected 25mm AA director, common aboard many CVs and other ships, bottom right is a protected searchlight director, a;sp cpmmon to many ships.

The PitRoad NE01 & 03 sets together carry most of these, in the most modern iterations.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 am 

Dan K wrote:

In the bottom illustration of six, top row, left is is a Type 91 HA director for 10cm mounts on CAs, center is a Type 95 director tower with a Type 94 director Mod 2 (protected) seen atop Mogami & Tone class bridges, upper right is a director for Fubuki & Hatsuharu class DDs (model name escapes me at the moment). Bottom row left looks like a 2m director aboard Minikaze/Kamikaze/Mutsuki class DDs, center is a protected 25mm AA director, common aboard many CVs and other ships, bottom right is a protected searchlight director, a;sp cpmmon to many ships.

The PitRoad NE01 & 03 sets together carry most of these, in the most modern iterations.

How do you know all this? :worship_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 am 

Right... How? :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:40 am 

Bill Clarke wrote:
Dan K wrote:

How do you know all this? :worship_1:

Dan K is truly the IJN guru. I am into IJN ships and everytime I see his name in this forum I will read what its all about. He is a treasure trove for IJN information.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

Aw, shucks, guys. (There's no smiley icon for embarrassment.)

How do I know this? Well, generally, because I've been delving into it since I was a kid, so that's a long, long, long time.

In this specific case, it's because I've sweated over the actual details in specific builds that cover all the FCS that Greg posted. I'm happy to share. Since we're discussing FCS, here's another comparison page from that Navy Yard Special #17. Hopefully, it's big enough to make out the captions, particularly for the NE versions.

Interestingly, no comparison was included for the Type 94 HA director, which is probably the best known FCS. IMHO, the new NE01 set version is probably the best. Until that appeared, I favored the unit that came with the Large Vessel Ordinance set from the W/L consortium (ex-Leviathan). Maybe not as detailed as some, but the best shape and size.

Attachments:
NY#17 FCS #1.jpg
NY#17 FCS #1.jpg [ 107.47 KiB | Viewed 2110 times ]
NY#17 FCS #2.jpg
NY#17 FCS #2.jpg [ 131.22 KiB | Viewed 2110 times ]
NY#17 FCS #3.jpg
NY#17 FCS #3.jpg [ 144.81 KiB | Viewed 2110 times ]
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next