The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 am 

Hello all,
So I just got a hell of a deal on this set on eBay. I only paid $18 bucks for it! I figured I'd give it a review.
I have no started using it yet, and will update once I do, but for now, a few observations.
The packaging is pretty bad. Just a large very thin plastic "bag" with no protection for the PE. One of the frets was slightly damaged. I have purchased PE from several companies, and so far my favorite is Lionroar and Griffon Models. Nice little boxes with protection. KA needs to upgrade their packaging. It didn't help that the person I bought this from sent it with a thin flexible sheet of very small bubble pack. It was all twisted up by the time I got it.
The PE itself looks fantastic. Very fine looking and extremely clean. I can't wait to get my hands on it. The turned brass gun barrels look great. Even the deck looks good, but not as good as others, such as Tamiya or Artwox. KA's looks like it waxy vs the others that look like bare wood.
What really sucks in this kit are the instructions...or lack of them. There is barely a word in this package. It's mostly pictures and symbols, and very few. If you've never used PE, you'll be lost. This is not just a KA problem. My first purchase was from Lionroar and their instructions were also lacking in information. I think the best PE instructions I have seen so far are from Eduard. I don't know why it's so difficult for these companies to make their documentation more user friendly. When you are done with the parts mentioned in the instructions, you have lots and lots of parts left over that are never mentioned in the instructions. Some parts are pretty clear in what their use is, but others are a mystery and I guess these companies expect users to be experts at identifying all the parts enclosed.
When I finally start using them, I will update on the fit and accuracy. I'll post pics too.
Thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 pm 
Pulling this out of the archives.....

So did you ever get around to building this kit with the KA PE set? Shopping around for some PE for my Roma and wondering how this went for you....

Thanks!
Quinn B

Report this post