The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 am 

I used this set for building my Yamato. It is an extensively detailed set that is at once magnificent and foolish.

The fit and finish is first rate, as is the thickness of the brass. The frets provided by Trumpeter and Combrig are too thick, while Gold Medal sets are very thin and flimsy. The Pontos thickness is ideal for working. the detail etching is very impressive.

The set fails on two related problems. First, there are far too many tiny details. These tiny parts add nothing to the overall effect, even in very close-up pictures. They are very difficult to work with, even for those accustomed to working with PE. Second, the set has been brilliantly made but poorly engineered. Too many items that could be a single part are built up of small parts into one whole.

The set reminds me of dissecting an insect. The insect has a nervous system, joints, etc, etc, but they are so small that, absent highly specialized techniques, it is impossible for anyone to see them. Just so with the Pontos PE set.

One example is the mast. It is in beautiful scale, elegant and detailed. It also requires something like 20 parts to make the mast. You must assemble a three dimensional truss out of individual tiny brass pieces. The undercarriages for the aircraft are another example. While magnificently detailed they will never be seen without a highly specialized photo, but their assembly requires three sub-assemblies. Simultaneously magnificent, foolish and annoying.

Adding to the difficulty is the poor labeling of the parts. The mast pieces are packed with numerous other straight brass parts. There is no ID of the parts, and it is easy to make a mistake.

The British phrase for this set is 'too clever by half'. It's just too 'smart' for its own usefulness.

I used it successfully, but will take a long look at other Pontos sets before buying one.

Ted0330

Report this post