The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:14 pm 

The Five Star Photo Etch Kit for Trumpeter's 1/700 USS San Francisco(s) (Both 1942 and 1944 kits) is truly a marvel in completeness. Unfortunately, Five Star Instructions are greatly lacking in detailing where/how this very complete detail kit should be used.

It contains almost every part you will need to detail the ships. When I did a part count of the PE fret parts, and a count of the parts listed in the instructions, roughly ⅔ of the parts are not accounted for in the instructions, and roughly 1/3 of those parts cannot be accounted for in the instructions at all (not even any photographs of them on the ship).

There are a few minor details that are not correct, such as the spotlight tower technically having supporting legs that go fore and aft of the deck vent housing on which it is mounted (Tom's Models makes a PE Fret for the New Orleans-class which does have this correct spotlight tower, which fits perfectly on the Trumpeter Models).

And, in the hope that others will be able to help fill out what the different parts in this kit are, I have scanned the instruction sheets, and listed all of the parts mentioned in the instructions (and what they are. Examples: 5"/25 Splinter Shielding for forward gun or Bulkheads for compass bridge deck level, and so on). Some parts just have guesses as to what they might be. I would appreciate it if people could add to (or correct) these lists (I will update said corrections as they occur to the relevant pages).

MB

Here are scans of the complete parts lists of the USS San Francisco's Five Star PE Detail kit (One page each of frets A - E, and then one page for Frets F & G):

Attachments:
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret A.jpg
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret A.jpg [ 162.96 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret B.jpg
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret B.jpg [ 117.98 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret C.jpg
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret C.jpg [ 179.64 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret D.jpg
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret D.jpg [ 146.41 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret E.jpg
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret E.jpg [ 133.85 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret F & G.jpg
Five Star Models 1942 - Fret F & G.jpg [ 188.58 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:36 pm 

I hate commenting on my own thread, but I wanted to update this to let people know that I had discovered another part (pair).

Parts C-15 (small Quad-40mm Tub bases) and C-19 (Splinter Shields) are for the New Orleans and one other New orleans-class ship (cannot recall which one), who received quad-40mm guns on the fan-tail prior to deployment to the Solomons and the Battle(s) of Santa Cruz/Tassafaronga.

These tubs do not overhand the sides, as the larger quad-40mm tubs on the Fantail do/did.

So... This is seeming to be a very complete set of PE which really should, at this point, be re-labeled "USS New Orleans-class."

Really the only things it is lacking is a set of PE for the Second Barbette and the Deck housing on which the second turret sits for the New Orleans-class Cruisers who had the first Turret moved back eight feet (and thus the second Barbette was exposed). But, then given all of the clutter in this set, maybe it is there, and just not yet seen.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post