The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 am 

I for one thought that WEM had gone, so was surprised when I found out from Jamie at Soveriegn Models that Toms Modelworks had rights to all the PE they made and that Sovereign had covered all the great WEM paints.

So, I was straight onto Toms Modelworks website so I could purchase these grilles..

The set consists of one 0.15mm thick PE fret, measuring 108 x 44mm with 54 grilles beautifully etched, some plain, some with rivited frame detail.

Some of these grilles actually go underneath the hull, which as far as I know are not included in any other "big" set out there. I have the Pontos set, and it mentions and includes the grilles along the sides of the hull, but makes no mention of the grilles underneath or around the propeller shafts.

There are a full set of instructions included on one A4 size sheet, printed on both sides. Here we can see the general layout and part description for the set.

Closer, so you can read it better..

Next up we have the diagram showing the location of all the grilles and a description of how to fit them.

I have only one issue with these instructions, around centre right they would have you remove the raised area between the parallelogram grilles in three locations on the hull sides. This is in fact incorrect as the bulges should be there. Trumpeter have them slightly misshapen, but they are there nonetheless.

The bulge can clearly be seen in this snip I took from a launch video on YouTube.

I shall be using this set on my hull very shortly, so keep an eye out to see how it works out.

Nigel

Report this post