The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm 

Hi all,

I recently ordered some of the Nano Dread AA gun update sets. I have a number of older 700 scale kits and some of the newer ones as well and I was curious if the Nano parts were much of an upgrade. Well, I got a couple sets in the mail yesterday and here is a side by side of a Chicago piano. The darker plastic is the Nano part from Fine Molds. (I will post a link to my Imgur, because when I posted it directly, it was huge in the preview)

https://i.imgur.com/iZvhDe5.jpg?1

I have no affiliation with either company.

Regards,

John

Building: 1/700 USS San Francisco 1942 fit
1/700 CV-3 Saratoga 1944 fit (Tamiya kit)
1/48 Beaufighter MkX (Tamiya)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:51 am 

The Nano Dread sprue on the bottom of the picture is slightly covering the Trumpeter Part.

I use the Nano Dread on number of builds, but actually find the Trumpeter 1.1 in the New Orleans class cruiser kits isn't as bad as many other kits.

I've been getting set to do a comparison of 5/25, 5/38, 1.1 and 40 mm from after market suppliers and kit manufacturers. Just not sure how to post pictures anymore.

“Oh”

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 pm 

Captain, I will try to get another photo and post it. As far as the Trumpeter quality, I would agree that a lot of it is pretty darn good. I got the dred stuff mostly for some older Aoshima, Hase and Tamiya kits I had. But since I am working on the Trump San Fran, I wanted to compare some of the parts. The dred stuff just looks really nice. Especially the barrels, they are pretty fine.

As far as how, I just used an Imgur account and used the IMG link above. I think I used the 'direct link' field on Imgur and copied that info in between the IMG fields that auto-populate the reply area when you click the button. Hope that helps.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm 

Updated photos:

a) Fine Molds Nano

b) Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:01 pm 

Thats a better photo. I think the Nano Dread is great but rather pricey. I just got some Blue Ridge Model 1.1's and they are one piece 3D printed and you get 12 for $7.95. I am not associated with them in any way. But side by side they look real close in detail to the Nano Dread

“Oh”

Report this post