The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 pm 

There seems to have been a mini-explosion of new model paint manufacturers of late and I finally decided to take the plunge and try one. After examining websites, descriptions, and any available reviews, the one I selected was Mission Models (see the link below for the website).

As a backdrop, I had previously used Testors/Model Masters family of paints for many years and been marginally satisfied. My specific complaints were:

-tendency to dry at the tip during airbrushing
-poor hand brush behavior (poor leveling)
-poor storage due to caps that did not seal well
-poor dispensing with the need to employ some type of dropper to measure out quantities for mixes - a mess
-tendency to dry too quickly and too dusty
-slight tendency to puddle if not applied with care and good technique

After years of use and practice I got to the point of being able to produce passable results.

The Mission Models paints come in moderately soft, squeezable, plastic bottles with snap-top lids that cover and seal a dropper opening in the lid. The lids screw off and the bottle opening is wide enough to fit my battery powered mixer into the bottle for thorough mixing. Note that the bottles are supplied with a small ball of some sort that sits in the bottle to aid in mixing the paint when shaking.

The bottles are 1 oz and cost $5.75 U.S.

In addition to the paint, Mission Models offers thinner (use sparingly! follow the directions on the website) and a retarder/finish additive both of which are used at around 10%.

Here's what I found after a long trial session of airbrushing.

-The dropper opening is exactly what I needed for measuring mixes without needing any messy, external dropper. A real pleasure to dispense, measure, and mix.

-The paint, with thinner and retarder added, showed only a very slight tendency to dry at the tip of the airbrush and was easily cleared by simply pulling all the way back on the paint flow trigger for a second or two. No need to stop and clean the tip as I was accustomed to doing (I used to keep a supply of Q-tips and airbrush cleaner to wipe off the needle tip during use). Even at very low flow rates the paint did not tend to dry during use. Next time I'll experiment with a slightly increased amount of retarder.

-I can't attest to shelf life yet but the storage looks to be a vast improvement over the Testor's glass bottle and plastic film lined screw caps.

-The dried, painted surface looked completely smooth with no evidence of dustiness whatsoever. It looked great and I'm anxious to see how decals lay down without needing a gloss coat.

-The paint went on with no tendency to puddle unless severely overpainted.

-The Mission Models website was easy to use and paint can be purchased directly from the website. Delivery was prompt and accurate.

Overall, I'm quite impressed and happy. I'll have to wait to see the long term adhesion and toughness - will it show any tendency to rub off or lift when handled or when masked? So far, though, the final painted surface looks beautiful - better than I normally get from Testors/MM. I'll also have to wait to see what the shelf life is. That said, it's looking like this may be my new go-to model paint!

Hope this helps.

Note: I have no affiliation with Mission Models in any way.

Attachment:
Mission Models Paint.jpg
Mission Models Paint.jpg [ 7.62 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

Report this post