The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:00 pm 

One thing I noted in Tim's Review is what I would consider a poor choice in (one) colors. They give you 5-L Light Gray, but no 5-D Dark Gray. Light gray was always used with Dark Gray in some capacity unless Measure 3 was used, which according to my notes was only used on CA-25 Salt Lake City in 1941. They give you 5-S Sea Blue, but that was only used for a couple of months, really. I think a hull red would have been a better choice than Light Gray.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:15 pm 

The navy blue appears much darker than deck blue. From wrist I've seen in references (e.g., wiki), it was vice versa, i.e. Deck blue was slightly darker and less saturated than navy blue. Which version is correct?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:05 pm 

Related to Tracy's comment, Tim didn't mention if the 5-L in this set the 1941 type (that would go with 5-D), or the 1943 type that goes with the Measure 32 etc. dazzle schemes. (the Snyder & Short paint chips set has both). The inclusion of 5-S implies it should be the earlier type, but the lack of 5-D and generic nature of "Camouflage colors used by the US Navy in World War II" leaves the late type as a possibility.

Also, Tracy: Might CL-51 USS Atlanta have been commissioned in Ms. 3 before repainting into Ms. 12? I know the ships camouflage database has her in Ms. 13 haze gray, but the November 1941 photos all seem too light for that; Atlanta looks at least as bright as the Salt Lake City looks in her 1941 photos on Navsource.

(Yes, I already built Atlanta a few years ago in as-commissioned fit, and painted her in Model Master Acryl 5-L (1941); frankly, she still looks a bit dark compared to those photos!)

- Sean F.

Report this post