The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True North Enamel Paints
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 pm 

Martin, since your March 2019 True North Enamel Paints Review, TN has doubled its USN WWII paint colors (including a 1937 #5 Standard Navy Grey, a late 1941 Cavite Blue, and a Mahogany Fight Deck Stain). TH's colors identify closely to WEM/Sovereign Colourcoats offerings and, as you noted, its Bangor ME home address is a plus for US based enamel modelers. Have you new insights to add to your earlier review? Like, what's your recommendation for a single coat paint:thinner ratio for airbrushers of this product?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:05 am 

David Sandifer wrote:
Martin, since your March 2019 True North Enamel Paints Review, TN has doubled its USN WWII paint colors (including a 1937 #5 Standard Navy Grey, a late 1941 Cavite Blue, and a Mahogany Fight Deck Stain). TH's colors identify closely to WEM/Sovereign Colourcoats offerings and, as you noted, its Bangor ME home address is a plus for US based enamel modelers. Have you new insights to add to your earlier review? Like, what's your recommendation for a single coat paint:thinner ratio for airbrushers of this product?

Hey David,

I don't have any new insights, as I've hardly spent anytime at the workbench - and even less time at the spray booth - this summer.

I think that experimentation is the key to getting the right mix. After testing these paints, I don't think you'll be able to do a single airbrushed coat of paint. But, that was my experience, and airbrushing is probably the area of the hobby I find most challenging. Translation: I suck at it.

Sorry I wasn't more help. :frown_2:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:08 am 

I recently ordered directly from them. It took a bit to get to me, but they were very responsive on emails. I found them to brush pretty well, so I ordered more colors.

Report this post