The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:00 am 

Building 3 BB-63's but no one has touched this question. The Pontos decks look nice, but the adhesive is terrible and does not last very long. Wish they would make a version without adhesive, I would pay extra for it :)

Figure it's got to be a wood glue that gives you a few minutes to readjust but is there any type that works better than the others? Paintbrush for an applicator (airbrush would be a high-stakes gamble, I would think)

I have been stupid once, and getting those decks off the plastic is a painful experience. Want to do it right this time.

Rick from Colorado

Builds: 1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri (BB-63) viewtopic.php?f=59&t=168222#p749083

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:04 am 

I have been using liquitex "gel medium" to glue down my wooden decks, it allows you to remove nd reposition the deck plenty, and dries rock solid aned keeps it in place. Just have a supply of q tips and water on hand to quickly wipe off any excess gel that squeezes through hatch openings etc.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:32 pm 

I'm not sure who it was, but a few years ago a gent posted how to adhere a Pontos deck to his battleship. The first thing he did was to kill the adhesive on the back of the Pontos deck with flat clear Krylon. Then he used artist gel medium to adhere the deck. You can position it and clean the excess off with water. That's what I used on my "Monster Mo" and it worked like a charm. No edges lifting or anything. It was great.

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:37 pm 

Chris Flodberg/Sargentx, stickied at the top of this forum: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156939

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:28 am 

I've always used just pure water on the surface of the model with a brush before laying the wooden deck in place. It gives time to get everything aligned perfectly and I haven't had single piece lifting off in 6 years.

This is the official tip from pontos when the decks initially came to markets but they've since removed it from all the sets or is just not printed in English :heh: