The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Alaska CB's
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:21 pm 
Hi Y'all,

I have said a couple of words on the HMS Hood, now I would like to comment on the Alaska Class. Any chance of somebody rattling Trumpeter/Revell for a new a decent model of this class? I am very impressed with the photos of the Alaska resin kits shown here, but a bit beyond my reach at present.

Also on a ladder to nowhere, how's about some more US/RN cruisers...in 1/350 scale of course!

Post subject: Re: Alaska CB's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:49 pm 

Hugh Williams wrote:
Hi Y'all,

I have said a couple of words on the HMS Hood, now I would like to comment on the Alaska Class. Any chance of somebody rattling Trumpeter/Revell for a new a decent model of this class? I am very impressed with the photos of the Alaska resin kits shown here, but a bit beyond my reach at present.

Also on a ladder to nowhere, how's about some more US/RN cruisers...in 1/350 scale of course!

There have been some rumblings of Trumpeter considering some USN cruisers like Alaska, Baltimore, Atlanta, and Indianapolis. From what I heard, they have been sent plans to all of the above ships. What they decide to release, only Trumpeter knows....

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: Trumpeter Alaska/Guam?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:25 pm 

Quote:
There have been some rumblings of Trumpeter considering some USN cruisers like Alaska, Baltimore, Atlanta, and Indianapolis. From what I heard, they have been sent plans to all of the above ships. What they decide to release, only Trumpeter knows....

My mouth is practically watering at the mere possibility of Trumpeter releasing a 1/700 (full hull of course) Alaska/Guam. And if they don't, maybe DML will pick up the gauntlet. Those two have been releasing some high-quality kits for the past few years now, so I wouldn't be surprised if one of them actually decided to release such a kit at some point in the future. Right now my money is on Trumpeter (didja hear that?!, hint, hint). :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject: Re: Alaska CB's
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:02 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Hugh Williams wrote:
Hi Y'all,

Hi,

I haven't got back to this as there is so much going on around here.

The thought of Trumpeter having the plans suggests to me somewhat strongly that we shall see these models arrive. Obviously, we couldn't possibly know when, but what intrigues me what is the source of the info that they have got these plans.....the thought that an Alaska and an Indianapolis (particularly with its' history) from Trumpeter is more than likely on its way to producing these models, given the current their current form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:04 pm 

I'd kill for a 1/350 scale model of any US Cruiser in injection plastic. C'mon Trumpeter!

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Alaska Fans..
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:51 am 

Hi Guys,
I got my Guam kit back from Martin, so I'll be posting again soon.....
I noticed this thread has not had a post in a while.
Avery is posting some of his Alaska progress pic on the photo forum. He is getting busy!
Avery, can you post here?

I guess ScaleShipYard will have a 1/96 CB-1 hull later this year.
Keep your fingers crossed!
Be well Gents, Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 pm 
Hello, I am considering the Alaska to build in 1/350 and there are two kits (that I know of) out there, Yankee Model Works and Iron Shipwright. Anyone here have experience with both, or even just one? Some great observations regarding the ISW catapult earlier in this thread, any other pro's/con's to each? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:43 pm 

Tony, I'll post pics here when there's something to see :lol_3: In the meantime, I'm thinking of getting some Floating Drydock plans as the ones I have don't show the superstructure levels. Will the Floating Drydock plans be sufficent?

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:29 am 

The plan will be very useful to you. They are BIG and they show all deck levels. You've got plan and elevation drawings and a lot of details on deck and on the various bulkheads throughout the ship. You can't go wrong with those plans!

Cheers :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 pm 

Hi guys! I quite literally just got my YKM 1/350 Alaska :woo_hoo: and am still drooling over it (whoops, hope that doesn't disolve the resin :jest:)

Anyway, I see several comments on the ISW and Samek kits, does anyone have any experince with the Yankee version and/or any advice. It sure looks nice to me!

Still trying to decide whether to paint her in the dazzle scheme or the Ms22 she wore when she actually went into action. :thinking:

Glad to join this august assemblage! :worship_1:

Oh, and sorry about the emoticons, I get carried away.

BD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:33 am 

I would get carried away if I just had my hands on the YKM Alaska!! From seeing reviews of the original Classic Warship offering it looked like a stunning model with loads fo details cast on and in PE. IMHO the finished model will look better than the ISW and Samek kits. There is just more details on the YKM kit.

The PE looks fiddly in the extreme so careful planning and a steady hand will really help you out!!

Oh and don't forget to post some pics so that we can all enjoy your progress.

Cheers :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:21 am 

Reposted from the SN site.

Richard Harden wrote:
Were there any differences between the Alaska and the Guam that would be visible in 1/700 scale? I have a Samek Alaska and was thinking of getting a Midship Alaska when it comes out and making it Guam.

There were 3 areas of difference (that I have identified), if you want to build them that way. Alaska, as built, had 4 searchlights on the funnel at 2 different levels. The bridge on the tower mast did not wrap around the back of the tower. And last, the bridge wings, just aft of the conning tower had a number of projecting half-tubs. Before she repainted out of the MS-32, the number of searchlights had been reduced to 2, the bridge had been wraped around the tower, and the projections on the bridge wings removed. Guam, as near as I can tell, commissioned with the changes. Navsource has the best shots of the original Alaska superstructure, and I think these are the close-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:40 am 

So in 1/700, I already know there's no choice but resin, so which is really the better, cleaner kit for doing the Alaska. I like the look of the ship, she's too sleek not to want to build, with those nice lines...

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:45 pm 

I have built the Samek model and it is a really nice kit. I haven't seen any other Alaska kit so I can't compare. Unfortunately Samek seems to be out of business so acquiring an Alaska will probably be hard and expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:50 pm 

Actually, I saw Midship was turning around and putting out one... which was reassuring in thought. Once I secure funding for the thought... though that'll be a bit... I have other projects to do.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:33 pm 

A "should have been" version of CB-1 Alaska. If you are interested in the "why", go to "Picture Post", there is an explanation in the article "CB-1 Alaska - a should have been".

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=34248&p=223141&hilit=alaska#p223141

Jim

Attachments:
MVC-174F.JPG
MVC-174F.JPG [ 69.13 KiB | Viewed 4290 times ]
MVC-177F.JPG
MVC-177F.JPG [ 148.66 KiB | Viewed 4343 times ]
MVC-179F.JPG
MVC-179F.JPG [ 135.3 KiB | Viewed 4304 times ]

aux viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40896

CV-3 viewtopic.php?t=39515&p=263120#p263120

CV-6 viewtopic.php?t=33201&p=201342#p201342

Last edited by JimRussell on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 pm 

Well i'm new in this forum,but I must built Alaska in scratchbuilt.I don't want resin kit,i wana built all by myself,but I need help with pictures and some drawings. She will be in 1/700 scale,a litlle test for my nerves,sorry for my bad english.
Please help me if You can.Greetings and thanks. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:28 pm 

Does anyone have any decent pics of the Alaska or Guam in peacetime livery? I'm trying to figure out which parts of the deck would have been unpainted wood planking for a project of mine...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:30 pm 

Hi Guys,
Sebastian,
That's a good question. The Alaska and her sister were de-comm'd shortly after the war. They may never have been re-painted into post war neutrals, but I'm just not sure. Comparitively; Missouri's deck was holy-stoned on her way back to the states after the surrender ceremony and a short stopover in Pearl Harbor; Sept-Oct 1945. Missouri's wood decks were natural teak in a photo seen in October, 45. That was only 6-7 weeks after the surrender. CB's might have done the same; which would most certainly have been before being de-comm'd.
I don't know that this helps a whole lot.
I'll be checking back to see what another CB fan has to say.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:04 pm 

There is a picture of her awaiting the cutting torch on Navsource seems to be all gray. Its the last picture in the group.

]Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next