The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:24 pm 

Jim, you can try to contact the "Associazione Navimodellisti Bolognese" they sell interesting plans of many ships, most of them are copyes of original plans, here is the page about Roma:

http://www.anb-online.org/index.php?cPath=2001_1001&sort=product_sort_order&page=5

This is the link to home page ( with the launching of the Roma on background :heh: ) :

http://www.anb-online.org/index.php?cPath=3000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:33 pm 

Have You contacted them lately? I'd like to buy some of their plans
and I had sent 3 mails but they left without answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:37 pm 

uhm no, I never did it, but I saw their stand in a model expo so I suppose they're still active.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:02 pm 

They are veeeery slow in answering, but at the end they do, and it worths the waiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:39 pm 

Yes they are VERY slow indeed. I posted my inquiry concerning availability, payment and shipment in March!!!
I got from the second hand their set of beautiful plans of Heavy Cruiser Fiume and I'd like to supplement it with Zara, Pola and some
Destroyers but I don't know how to "bite" their Splendid Isolation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 pm 

March? Way too slow... Are you sure your email found the way to them? In these times, with ISP blocking messages here and there, it is difficult to have secure lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:55 pm 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Thank you all fo your helps so far!

Sooooo...--can anyone reccomend a trustworthy set of plans of Roma--or indeed a trustworty monograph of the ship?

JIM B

I am just curious, Jim---why the need for all this? Does the kit lack parts and/or adequate detailing? My impressions from the Axis website, are that the model is superbly detailed---am I wrong?

Dan :smallsmile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:13 am 

Good point Dan!

On Every ship I have built from a kit I have supplemented with large amounts of additional detail- all from after market information sources

-without plans and books etc I always feel like I am driving a car round a twisty road blinfolded-relying entirely on someone elses secondhand- information. ....

In the instance of the Axis kit the information is all pretty damn good :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

--however nothing and no-one including myself is infallible--so having a primary source to check dimensions, swing arcs of cranes/guns/, mast and spar dimensions as well as total assembled heights of superstructure etc is essential for my own peace of mind ---as well as ensuring the end result looks as right as I can make it within the limitations of material, skill and media

For example...-

A fraction of a millimetre on the bottom of each casting piece on a 5-part stacked ( eg bridge) assembly can throw the whole ' look ' of a ship...

There is nothing worse than when admiring your finished model in its glass case ...and having that (subconcious ..?) nagging feeling that something somewhere is not quite right....

On every model I have built---I know where the bodies are buried....!!--but I am not telling!!!

The recent purchase of a a set of sliding vernier gauges has sharpened up my measuring and modelmaking imensly--and probably thereby slowed my output...

:rolf_3: :rolf_3: :rolf_3:

-- thank you for your interest and insight !

JIM BAUMANN

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:48 am 

Sounds good to me Jim, one day maybe on day you will scratchbuild something, :heh: :heh: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:26 pm 

ARH wrote:
Sounds good to me Jim, one day maybe...you will scratchbuild something

Ron, judging from Jim's great reply, I'd say he's on his way to making that jump (from correcting someone else's errors, to preventing and burying his own! :lol_1:)!

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
...having a primary source ... is essential for my own peace of mind ---as well as ensuring the end result looks as right as I can make it within the limitations of material, skill and media

Jim-- My question was primarily to elicit information on the kit itself. Your excellent reply has not only done so, but more importantly, sets forth a number of fundamental tenets which every kit-building modeler should develop, as they seek to advance their craft.

:thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:42 pm 

Good thread; at Sean's suggestion we moved/renamed it to here so it won't go away :)

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject: axis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:40 pm 

Jim,
what type of paint are you going to use ? WEM colour coat or tamiya.
are you going to use an airbrush just wondering as I have one and I use tamiya so i will need to find what Tamiya paints to use if you have an idea what the best tamiya colours to use,
Thanks,
Modelmanuk

Post subject: Re: axis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:20 am 

modelmanuk wrote:
Jim,
what type of paint are you going to use ? WEM colour coat or tamiya.
are you going to use an airbrush just wondering as I have one and I use tamiya so i will need to find what Tamiya paints to use if you have an idea what the best tamiya colours to use,
Thanks,
Modelmanuk

The color is : FS.36495 so WEM "grigio chiaro" in the Regia Marina color set or Humbrol 147.

I don't know wich Tamiya could match this grey, but it's a standard grey, should be easy to find something similar in acrilic.

Hope this help

Dino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:17 am 

Hoi modelman UK

Ha! that fooled me--moving the thread!,,,

As I m an exclusive brushpainter... I shall be using Humbrols --but using the WEM paints as accolour check...

I shall be doing her pre-camouflage--and quite streaky--as seen in numerous photos!!

Cheers

JIM B

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:12 pm 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Ha! that fooled me--moving the thread!,,,

We aim to please :big_grin:
I did leave a shadow in the main forum though for those that were interested but not subscribed.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:47 pm 

Are there any good pictorial references on the Roma out there that are relatively available. With an impending new tool Bismarck, the Roma has to get done!

Thanks,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50 am 

Hello all!

I'm currently building the Veneto from Regia Marina and I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of her camo scheme in 1943. I have about 2 bad quality pictures and absolutely no close up of the ships. it makes for a harder build since I'm far from being an expert on this class of battleships.

I have a pictorial book on the Italian battleships of WWI and WWII but the book shows the Cavour class a lot more than the Littorio Class.

Thanks for any help you might give me.

:wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:23 pm 

Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:40 pm 

Better you do it quickly, Laurence... (deep voice) your scanning has been tracked... we are after you... copyright infringement ...(end) :rolf_3: :rolf_3:

Last edited by Stefano on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:05 pm 

Laurence Batchelor wrote:
as I've spent 12 hours scanning photos for the Veneto class :mad_1: I can email those to you.

Stefano's got a point; we can't allow this board to become a traffic center for copyright infringment. If you are scanning photographs you own or have permission to redistribute that is one thing, but do not offer to wholesale e-mail scans from books here. An image or two for review purposes is allowable under US law, of course :eyebrows:

-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next