The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:16 pm 

Laurence wrote:

>>>as I've spent 12 hours scanning photos for the Veneto class Mad I can email those to you.<<<

...you did...and it is VERY much appreciated!!

thanks !!

JIM B :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:23 pm 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Laurence wrote:

>>>as I've spent 12 hours scanning photos for the Veneto class Mad I can email those to you.<<<

...you did...and it is VERY much appreciated!!

thanks !!

JIM B :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Now do me proud! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:29 pm 

As stupid as this question may seem at first, I must nonetheless ask it:

When is "copyright infringement" harmful?

I know the initial and obvious response, but bear with me here, please---I am not referring to "active" works such as circulated publications, music, etc.---each time these are reproduced/downloaded/disseminated, the originating author/writer/artist and publishers lose potential revenue.
However, where is the actual harm, when such "copyrighted" stuff comes from non-recurring, singly-published sources i.e., OUT OF PRINT books?

Unless I am mistaken, a book's author gets paid a sum of money by his publisher for his work. I also presume (again, unless I am incorrect) that the author gets a portion of the book's sales revenues, similar to the royalties a recording artist gets from airplay and sales of a song or album.

However, the recording artist's work can be (and usually is) aired by radio stations and included in copies of music media for decades after its creation, so a system of registering and paying of royalties is in place. We all pay this fee indirectly, through hiring bands for parties, all the way to radio stations and CD manufacturers paying to acquire and play and/or reproduce copyrighted music.

A book, on the other hand can be sold "new" only ONCE--after that, neither the author nor the publisher (I am surmising) have any control over its continued second-hand sales. An original work might be sold and re-sold a thousand times or more, but only ONCE does the book---upon its first sale to a distributor, retailer, or whatever---generate income for either its publisher or its author. Am I about right, so far?

If so, then HOW can reproducing photos or text from a USED book, especially one that is out of print and/or its publisher has since, ceased to exist, create a "loss"? Even in cases where publishers are still in business (ex: Doubleday), if that publisher NEVER re-prints or re-issues new copies of a particular book, I must believe that it CANNOT cause any additional monetary loss, to disseminate information from that book.

If said publisher releases say, 5000 printed copies of a certain book, and then does NOT print or release any more copies of that book, does the author STOP collecting any further residuals, once those original copies are sold? If not, how in the world would one "track" a book through possibly hundreds of secondary sales transactions?

I guess my point is this: The same thing is happening, whether a book is sold a hundred times, or a hundred copies' worth is reproduced NEITHER event generates revenue for its originaators, so I ask again, where is the harm?

I apologize if I'm way off-base here, but this thread has raised the issue.

:|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:47 pm 

I guess the publishers may want to be able to keep any potential revenue in the case that they decide to republish the book(s) in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:47 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
When is "copyright infringement" harmful?

It doesn't matter; Copyright isn't about harm, it's about CONTROL.

RNfanDan wrote:
If so, then HOW can reproducing photos or text from a USED book, especially one that is out of print and/or its publisher has since, ceased to exist, create a "loss"? Even in cases where publishers are still in business (ex: Doubleday), if that publisher NEVER re-prints or re-issues new copies of a particular book, I must believe that it CANNOT cause any additional monetary loss, to disseminate information from that book.

Let me first start off by saying that I think the current US Copyright code is full of stupid, and that the direction it's going is WORSE. I boycotted ALL movies for about 4 years because of what I saw as copyright abuses by the MPAA.

That said, to reiterate what I said above, copyright is NOT about money, it's about control.

Copyright is a balance. The creator has some rights but after a time reverts to community property. During that time the rights include choosing to NOT publish or distribute the work at all. The owner has the RIGHT to COPY and to say who can and can't.

If you scan an entire book and post it online you are harming potential future sales be depressing demand for a repring. Worse, in terms of the law, is that you have distributed the work when you did not have the rights or permissions.

Yes, I wish that some of the books I can only find on AbeBooks for megabucks would be reprinted, and some of them are no-brainers for reprinting. It's not my decision to make; it's the owner of that work's call.

I also have also almost had my ass sued off for copyright infringement and I had to get savy about it to show where I was in the right.... I am not going to be a party to this site getting shut down because someone was being nice and breaking the law. The law sucks.... write your representative. End of story.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 pm 

Allright. I just bought the two Orizzonte Mare with the Vittorio Veneto Class BBs as subject.
They were on Ebay Italy. The same guy has quite more subjects of the same series.
32 $ a pop. :crazy: :huh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:07 pm 

Roberto wrote:
Allright. I just bought the two Orizzonte Mare with the Vittorio Veneto Class BBs as subject.
They were on Ebay Italy. The same guy has quite more subjects of the same series.

You still need the "immagini" volume... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 pm 

Roberto wrote:

I still need 3 volumes of the new series to get the complete set of about 40, cost me an arm and a leg over the years to acquie the 36/37 I have :mad_1: some are rarer than rocking horse s**t

Post subject: Roma
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:20 am 

Ciao all,

well I love the Vittorio Veneto class ships, especially the ROMA.

One day I want to make it on 1/350,.. than I know who to contact for it,....

Ciao Antonio :surfer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:25 pm 

Hi Guys

Here is an INCREDIBLY useful link sent to me by Giampiero of Regia Marina--who has been wonderfully helpful and patient to all my queries!

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: good guy!

check this baby out-

http://www.modelli-navali.it/vs-modelli ... oma40.html

-it should help clear up some grey areas (ahahahaha!)

at the bottom of the page ist says:

To order a CD of 400 (!!) Roma photos- go to ...blalabla

My order is in! heheheh!!

JIM Baumann

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:58 am 

...Jim I saw that 1/100 ship last November in Milano, I remembar I was without words ... she's perfect to my eyes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:26 am 

Dino Carancini wrote:
I saw that 1/100 ship last November in Milano, I remembar I was without words ... she's perfect to my eyes!

Especially when you can see BOTH halves...

Great Link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:22 pm 
Much like Hood I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:03 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Much like Hood I believe.

Actually both them were follwing the same pattern ...

On the other hand, if you consider the large amount of men trapped inside them and trying to find their way out while the ships were blowing up and rolling over, the thing is no longer so funny...
Brgds,

Willie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:38 am 

Guess this dramatic picture is missing from everyone's archives...

:cool_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:42 am 

Very nice photo--lots of deck details!

Thank you for posting this! :smallsmile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:07 am 

Its a new one on me cheers Stefano! :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:21 pm 

here four unusually sharp images for the RN Impero:
(BTW: how many of you know there was a project to convert her to a fleet carrier?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:37 pm 

Stefano wrote:
(BTW: how many of you know there was a project to convert her to a fleet carrier?)

Umm, I didn't. Any additional information (slobber, drool)?

Thanks,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:54 pm 

ninjrk wrote:
Stefano wrote:

Umm, I didn't. Any additional information (slobber, drool)?

Thanks,
Matt

For along time, the model represented below, and all the related line drawings around of it (see http://xoomer.alice.it/bk/NWS/Regia_Mar ... LD_HB.html for example) where considered preliminary designs for the RN Aquila, converted from the Roma liner.
The 1/200 model was at last taken out from his glass in Venice's Navy museum and actually measured end checked against the Roma and Impero dimensions and this turned out as a confirmation of the suspect it was a study to convert the Imparo into a large carrier. Unfortunately, nothing else is today known about this project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next