The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:32 am 

I had visited the Minsk in ShenZhen last Sunday, took a few pic but dont know how to post it. He is now in a very poor state, had been sold to a new company and the new owner promised to leave it there for another 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 pm 

TOM HUNG wrote:
He is now in a very poor state

I hope Kiev is in much better shape according to photos (100+) I found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:17 pm 

TOM HUNG wrote:
I had visited the Minsk in ShenZhen last Sunday, took a few pic but dont know how to post it. He is now in a very poor state, had been sold to a new company and the new owner promised to leave it there for another 5 years.

Go to the Picture Post forum and go to the instructions and take a look at the two first posts. They explain how to post pictures here.

Cheers.

Pachi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:37 pm 

Agony of Otvazhny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:57 pm 

Just compilling the paint scheme information for the 1:144 Kiev. I note in a number of publications it's stated the the anti foul was black. I'm uncertain on this one but was the anti foul changed depending on the fleet deplyment . Also red and green comes up as the anti foul colour. Ok guys which is right, even I'm confused.
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:01 pm 

Well definitley a Kiev fan, though I can't help you with the painting. I have seen green used before, never black or red. Is the Trumpy 1/700 Kiev worth getting? just curious .

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:31 pm 

Avery, I have the 1/550 version and I was quite happy with it! a really nice kit, although I didn't like the seam in the flight deck... Don't know if it's the same as the 1/700, but if it is, then it sure is worth getting!

Dave, what ship are you looking for?
The normal: white line-black boot topping-red anti fouling was used as well as a white line- all red anti-fouling.

Green is unlikely and was probably the result of red paint... I have seen that effect more than once, if you leave a hull long enough in the water with the red paint they use, then only the zinc will stay and leave the green colour, the rest will fade.

I used an all black on my Minsk, but that was because "it all didn't matter that much in those days" :big_grin: . I was planning a repaint of that part as I still think she's one of the finest ships I've built. But, the white line was a total mess as I didn't use tape either in those days :lol_3:

Here is an example of what I meant with the fading:
The sub has been in Severodvinsk for upgrading, usually after the regular underwater work on the slipway, they relaunch the boat to finish the work off on the quay. At that moment the sub is unladen and so she is higher in the water. This means that the waterline (white line seen here) and a part of the underwater hull are above the water, which is the red, original paint. The rest of it becomes greenish because it has been under water for a such a period.

Regards
Roel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:19 pm 

Thanks Neptune .
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:50 pm 

I kicked you into this now, so I guess I have to support any progress too :big_grin:
I used a big picture in a Norman Polmar book. After looking at it yesterday I figured out the Minsk herself indeed had the white line- Black boot topping and red anti-fouling. I mistakenly considered she was all black on the lower hull, but after a better look I indeed found red under it.

One thing I wondered about when seeing that picture. The Bazalt launchers are painted red on top too! It's the only picture I have EVER seen that shows the Bazalt launchers painted like that. But my Misnk received that paint scheme too, so I guess she'll be quite unique now :thumbs_up_1:
I can send you the picture if you want. She has a guidance or hospital (hard to judge, has a red part on top and below and looks white, but could be grey too) helicopter on deck along with other Kamovs ready for launch and some Yaks.

Regards
Roel

Regards
Roel

Post subject: Kiev Colors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:43 pm 

Neptune, Dave, Avery,

Thanks for taking discussion of this subject up. I, too, have a Kiev in the closet awaiting construction. One of the main reasons I haven't tackled it was lack of good paint info.

I have seen a few color photos of this ship on the web, and it seems to be painted much differently than the Minsk.

From what I have seen, the flight deck appears to be green, and the foredeck that brick red color found on other Soviet ships.

Did this ship carry more than one color scheme? What would be proper for the boot topping? White; white over black; black? Would the hull be red or black below the boottop? If red, a dark red or more of a primer brown-red?

Looking at what photos I can find of models of this ship, there seems to be some disagreement on how it should be painted.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Next kit in the line...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:11 pm 

So I'm awaiting Trumpeter's 1/550 Kiev. I haven't found much online about it, so if anyone has pics of the kit or any words of wisdom, let me know, ok? I found one short review of the kit where the author pretty much trashed it, but if you want a bigger-than-1/700 Kiev, it's the only game in town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:01 am 

Can any one confirm the correct colours for Kiev { as built}
1 Anti foul
2 Boot topping { approximate width }
3 Some pictures show a very thin white line above the boot topping others don't which is it to be ?
{ need to order in supplies of paint]
Any help given is much appriciated.
Dave Wooley

Post subject: Kiev Questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:11 pm 

Dave - are you working on the Trumpy 1/550 Kiev or one of the others? As I said in an earlier post, I'm preparing to work on one myself, so anything I find out I'll pass along.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:39 pm 

Here are some pics of the just-about-final product. I have some paint touch-ups and a coat of flat to apply, but everything is there. I like the look of PE parts, but I hate handling them. I had so many pieces of brass pop out of my hands and tweezers I could have screamed! I also had nothing but trouble with the forward mast. It popped off like three times, and with the radar grid in place on it, it kept interfering with the other radar assembly (the palm frond on the forward part of the platform). . Please feel free to pass along comments or snide remarks. I envy those of you who build those museum-quality clean ships.

I have left the missiles off of the launchers - too many coats of white paint make them look horrible.

I painted the helo sea blue - more old school than authentic, but it's my ship :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:45 pm 

Hi Jgrease The Kiev is a semi scratch 1:144 scale large at nearly 2meters in length.
There is certainly conflicting information regarding the boot topping and anti foul, as built that I need to clear up before I go any were near the air brush. As yet I'm a long way off that task but I'm thinking ahead.
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:55 pm 

Dave, here's a pic of a Kiev-class with the white and black boot stripes:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/nk1143novoros1.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:06 pm 

Hi jgrease Thanks for your help
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 pm 

Despite your problems with handling PE, it came out rather nice! Any pictures of the masts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:31 pm 

Here are pics of the masts:

The closeups really show off how horrid the forward mast became after replacing it on the ship twice. I was thinking of adding ladders to the sides to try and conceal the obvious repairs. Any ideas are welcome.
As for the stuff around the helo deck, I used Gold Medal Models PE set for the Sovremenny. The net is painted the same grey as the ship. The white molding around the net was a piece included with the PE. There is a drilling jig included with the PE set - you tape it down and drill about 35 or 40 holes with a number 80 drill bit. It was a test of patience.
Thanks again for the feedback - keep 'em coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am 

jgrease wrote:
Dave, here's a pic of a Kiev-class with the white and black boot stripes:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/nk1143novoros1.jpg

There's a black boot stripe in that photo?