The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:59 am 

That looks like a black stripe to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:21 pm 

Thanks jgrease!. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:18 pm 

I was sent this picture today of Kiev showing a very deep and certainly black boot topping . But other pictures seem to show no black boot topping at all . It's very confusing as to which way to go. If I get it wrong then it's wrong.
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:24 pm 

You could date the model as of the date in the picture, 26-9-2003, then you would have to find what aircraft she carried at that date, :lol_3: :lol_3: :wave_1: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:31 pm 

There was a topic about the Kiev on the FrenchMarineForum
Here it is:

http://forummarine.forumactif.com/Les-M ... -t1123.htm

Jef :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:36 pm 

I hate to say this Ron but I think that was the period when Kiev was going for scrap . But you do have made a good point . At least before she was sold on for razer blades I guess there must have been a period when she was active and sported the black boot topping.. Although I did ask in my original request the as built which could mean when Kiev first entered service in April 1975.
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:40 pm 

Jefgte wrote:
There was a topic about the Kiev on the FrenchMarineForum
Here it is:

http://forummarine.forumactif.com/Les-M ... -t1123.htm

Jef :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks Jef There is one pictures on the site which shows Kiev with a black boot topping well done :woo_hoo:
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 pm 

Wasn't there something on SN a few years back about the black line, and whether the ship at been in dock recently? I seem to recollect someone, who spent some time working in a Soviet naval yard, said that when a ship was launched, or had any extensive refits done, it came out of the yard with the white/black/red, but most crews painted over the black rather soon on operations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:23 am 

Sean Hert wrote:
Wasn't there something on SN a few years back about the black line, and whether the ship at been in dock recently? I seem to recollect someone, who spent some time working in a Soviet naval yard, said that when a ship was launched, or had any extensive refits done, it came out of the yard with the white/black/red, but most crews painted over the black rather soon on operations.

Hi Sean that's an interesting point, I'll follow that one up. The old Soviet navy seemed to confuse us modellers as I remember when building Moskva the pennant numbers on Soviet warships never remained constant as USN or RN. I later found out that the pennant number was linked in part, to deplyment, all very confusing . I asume this practice has long since gone on present Russian warships. I'd welcome any comments on this subject?
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:59 am 

They're retaining the paint job and numbers nowadays. They only shift names once in a while when they think there is a name that shouldn't disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:43 am 

I too have purchased a 1/550 Kiev, and am currently awaiting its' arrival. I will share any info I find, but I'm sure we all have the same sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm 

The more I look at the three similar Kiev's the more differences I can detect. i notice that aft , by the Yak parking bays all three have differences in deck colouring. In all the information I've accumulated I can't find any explanation for the purpose of the yellow line along the flight deck? Any ideas?

Post subject: The Kiev has landed...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:24 am 

So I get this giant box in the mail today. As I open it, I am struck by the fact that this kit is a disaster. The deck is in 3 pieces to facilitate motorized operations in Shanghai's largest duck ponds. The decals are a mess - no deck markings, just names, stars for the ship and planes, and numbers - I guess I should be happy to have that much. The Yaks look acceptable to my untrained eye - much better than the helos. Detail below the deck is almost nil. Since the hull was made to be motorized, the prop shafts are huge, and the hull is flatter than a pancake. I realize that waterlining is the only way to go. I will probably raid the following for photoetched details:
-WEM 1/600 Moskva/Leningrad PE set - I believe it has the proper radars and such, even if they will be slightly small, so be it - better than the provided blobs.
-GMM 1/500 Naval Ship PE set - for railings and hatches and other details - I figure the differences between the two PE sets will offset each other.
Does anyone have any ideas for deck markings or other details? I am really wide open on this one.

Post subject: Kiev photo references
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:32 am 

Please be advised - very slow website - maybe better in Europe:

http://navsource.narod.ru/photos/02/161/index.html#1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:19 pm 

Jgrease, I have the 1/550 Minsk, don't think it's that bad. It was a nice build and I wouldn't call the radars a blob of plastic unless you have some left overs... It became a nice ship although I admit some radars are out of proportion, if you mount the Air search radar in the given position then it is not able to turn 360° without hitting the mast behind it. Probably a scale problem there, the guidance radars look pretty ok to me. I built it when I was still using no masking tape etc. so pretty early in my "career", but even at that skill I still like it as one of my most beautiful ships (apart from my without-masking-tape-painted-waterline.
I've done the deck marking with white paint they're not that small after all. Again I didn't use tape and it is visible, although I still think it's pretty reasonable. Nowadays I could do the job much better, but I still like this kit as it is without modifications.

Does anyone have good plans of the Victor I submarine???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:32 pm 

Edwin - great site! I'm doing the Kiev in 1/550, and there were even more pics than the russian site I used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:03 am 
Help needed . Can any one shed some light as to how this raised section right forward on all the Kiev's might functions { ringed in black}when deplying the "Trap Door" radar Thanks for any help given
:thinking:
Dave Wooley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:04 pm 
Believe me, many hours (days) of shadowing in the Med and the Adriatic but no such luck.
Roberto

Post subject: Back to our projects...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:20 pm 

Where is everyone? I want to see some projects! I am waffling between my 1/550 Kiev and a 1/400 Enterprise. My latest problem is the flight deck of Kiev. After painting the flight deck green and the hull "the deck color", I masked off lines on the flight deck, airbrushed the white lines, and it was a disaster. That is when the Kiev went back into mothballs. I have pulled it back out and i am trying to repair the damage. Here is a pic of the deck as it stands:

Ugh. So I have printed decals to do the circles, but the green came out lighter than the deck, so I am going back to try again. The rest of the kit is a train wreck - I am using a combination of WEM 1/600 Moskva PE and GMM 1/500 Naval Ship PE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:53 pm 

Hi all Can any one help with the shade of grey for Kiev when deployed in the North Atlantic in the early 1980s Any help would be appreciated . :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next