The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 126  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 pm 

Elvis965 wrote:
Heard anything new on the rumored 5"/51's that L'Arsenal was supposedly working on?

Hadn't heard that Jaques was doing some, but I had heard that WEM was... nothing more.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:17 pm 

Hi everyone,

Have any one of you heard or seen news of the Trumpeter 1/200 Arizona? I saw a mention of it in one of the magazines. If you have heard/seen it... any details? New tooling or copy of their copy of...

Thanks and have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:30 pm 

Only thing I've read is its being on Stevens Intl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:10 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Only thing I've read is its being on Stevens Intl.

Thanks, Timmy. I'll check out Steven's Intl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:56 pm 

Steven's doesn't give details, just box art, era, and price when available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:59 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Elvis965 wrote:
Heard anything new on the rumored 5"/51's that L'Arsenal was supposedly working on?

Hadn't heard that Jaques was doing some, but I had heard that WEM was... nothing more.

I might be responsible for spreading this rhumor here. I met Jaques at Scale Modelworld at Telford last November, and asked him specificly about any plans to produce these guns in 1/350. He confirmed that thay were going to do them but could not give a specific time frame.

Last edited by Sten Ekedahl on Tue May 22, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:29 am 

Sten Ekedahl wrote:
Tracy White wrote:
Elvis965 wrote:

I might be responsible for spreading this rhumor here. I met Jaques at Scale Modelworld at Telford last November, and asked him specifily about any plans to produce these guns in 1/350. He confirmed that thay were going to do them but could not give a specific time frame.

White Ensign posted this on their website on 5/17/07:

WEM PRO 3520 1/350 USN 5"/51 Open Mount (x 10) have arrived. GBP 6.77 gets you a pack, which is enough to kit out a USS Arizona.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:03 pm 

Here are some more of the photos I had taken of the model at the Arizona Memorial.

I have quite a few more and even a few of the sunken Arizona with the memorial over it. All the models are in cases so sometimes there are reflections or flashes on the glass but most of them turned out.
Let me know what you think and if you have a specific detail you wanted to see, let me know and I will check to see if I have it in a photo.
Thanks-
J Seeling

Post subject: USS Arizona
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 am 

I thought the Arizona didn't have the machine guns instaled in the top gun tub. If she did wouldn't it have been the air cooled .50's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:10 am 

Not necessarily; CV-2 Lexington's .50 cal.s on top of the stack were water cooled... what Trumpeter molded as a doorway on the small platform underneath each side was actually the reservoir.

Talked to Don for a bit today; he commented that J Seeling's photos were the pretty good for representing the color of the model accurately.. most everyone else has used too much flash. The aviation gas line on the model is "200% correct" in a sense.... the Chesley plans he used had it going down the port & starboard side but they determined later it was only on the port side... also the degaussing cables are missing from the model; they should be in the gutters at the deck edge but they just flat old ran out of time to get them built and in there.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject: USS Arizona
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:46 am 

Tracy,

Thanks for checking on that so quickly. My Arizona build is collecting dust for a bit, I'm building a S-100 right now, but I'm always looking for more info on the "Zona". The 1/426 kit that I have of her is kinda a test bed build fo a 1/350 build I want to make of her(more details and easier on old eyes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 am 

Gentlemen (and ladies if present...)
I hit Turner's web site up every once and a while to see if they have the movie that featured Arizona, "Here Comes the Navy" on the schedule. This may be far-to-advanced news, but it is on the calendar now during the "James Cagney Film Festival" in August. August 7 (Thursday) at 3:30 PM is the date and time, and you can view a trailer for it here.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject: Eduard PE set
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:59 am 

Well guys I was just told by my friend that my PE set for the Arzonia has just arrived. I will be stoping by his place Friday, and if you guys want I can give you a first inpression of this set.

As I noted earlier, I will be using this set as a suplement to the GMM set.

These two sets should keep me busy for at least a 9-12 months !!!!

Happyness is too much PE

Post subject: 5-s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 am 

Hi Guys,
Here is my 1/700 Dragon Arizona after getting some more paint; after being temporarily stalled. I liked 5-S, but I thought it too light.
I decided to stay with the Model Master Acryl Marine Colors 5-S, but I wanted it to be darker; just so I could get a closer feel for the pics I've seen of the ship when she wore 5-S. Darker seemed, "more right", to me. It's still 5-S out of the bottle, but with some black added to it.
See what you guys think.
Kind of in a shadow....somewhat indirect artificial light...........

The turrets, superstructure, 5"25's and the funnel, were painted and re-painted respectively..............

Here is the hull under direct artificial light........

The two tripod masts required some extra effort to assemble. Odd, they seem simple enough..... :huh:

I have finished the aft tripod except for painting, but am replacing the legs of the forward tripod with brass tubing. Without making gaping guide bosses for the forward tripod legs, they would otherwise be bent and it was completely obvious....unacceptable.

At 'em!
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:10 am 

Coming along nicely... aiming for the Nats?

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 am 

Hi Guys,
Tracy,
Bingo!
Martin,
I'd love to see some progress pics.
How did you fare with the tripods?
I ordered a GMM BB set and some Clipper barrels yesterday. Rich Durham gave me some blast bags for the Clipper barrels. I may end up with an extra 12 blast bags, but I won't know till my PF package gets here. Oh, can you guys keep a secret? My Pacific Front package will also be including the HP 1/700 CVB-42 and CVB-43!
The Turrets are painted but not glued top to bottom. For some reason, I will wait till I have the blast bags and barrels in my hands before I close up the turrets without any barrels inside...first.
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:44 am 

:woo_hoo:

Very nice & clean paint Tony

Jef :wave_1:

Post subject: Nice going Tony
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:11 am 

Tony, nice going on your model. I will be picking up the additional PS set tonight for my Arizinia 1/350, and I will be clearing the work bench to get her started this weekend. This is going to be a long build I fear!!

Keep posting the pics Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:33 am 

hello all,

what would everyones, comments if i built a 1921/1941 scratched built 1/96 hybrid model of arizona ???in 1941 from main deck upwards and the hull would be as built as 1921 no blister,as i cant seem to find plans only what i have in paul stillwells book and ships data,let me know your comments

cheers matt :jump_1:

or a 1945 uss pennsylvania useing the plans from floatingdrydock and the twf hull staions just a thought....

Last edited by nzmatt on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:36 am 

Tony Bunch wrote:
Martin,
I'd love to see some progress pics.
How did you fare with the tripods?

Tony,

Nice work as always. I gave the hull and superstructure parts another zap with the airbrush, I'll try and snap some pictures this weekend - but I'm not nearly as far along as you are. I've just been working on her in between breaks on the Illinois.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 126  Next