The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 869 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:10 pm 

This is my new build USCGC DUANE as she was on HX 233, she will be built to a scale of 1/72.

54. 1/2 inch long

6. 3/4 inch wide

The "Treasury" class Coast Guard cutters (sometimes referred to as the "Secretary" or 327-foot class) were all named for former secretaries of the Treasury Department. The cutter Duane was named for William John Duane, who served as the third Secretary of the Treasury to serve under President Andrew Jackson. Duane was born in Clonmel, Ireland, in 1780 and emigrated to the United States. He was originally trained as a printer but later studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1815. He became a distinguished lawyer, represented the city of Philadelphia in the Pennsylvania State Legislature, and was a trustee and subsequently a director of Girard College. Duane's father was the editor of the Philadelphia Aurora, a leading newspaper of the Democratic party. Thomas Jefferson attributed his election to the presidency in 1800 to the vigorous support of the elder Duane. President Jackson and William Duane were close friends and it was probably through this relationship that William J. Duane was appointed as the Secretary of the Treasury in May of 1833 after Secretary Louis McLane transferred to the State Department. President Jackson hoped that he could persuade Duane to withdraw the government's deposits from the Second Bank of the United States, which McLane had refused to do. Duane was opposed to the Bank in principle and felt that it was unconstitutional and monopolistic, but he recognized that the sudden removal of the government's funds from the Bank would cause a panic affecting the farmer and the common man which would "plunge the fiscal concerns of the country into chaos." Duane also maintained that he had no right to withdraw the funds without the consent of Congress, which had, in its previous session, declared the Bank safe for government deposits. Jackson enlisted the help of his Attorney General, Roger B. Taney, to present his argument for the withdrawal of funds to the entire cabinet. Duane still refused to take any action without the consent of Congress, and Jackson dismissed him after only four months of service, declaring, "He is either the weakest mortal, or the most strange composition I have ever met with."

William J. Duane died in Philadelphia on 27 September 1865.

Last edited by ARH on Sun May 20, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:13 pm 

Cost: $2,468,460.00

Signal Letters: NRDD

Keel Laid: 1 May 1935

Launched: 3 June 1936

Commissioned: 1 August 1936

Decommissioned: 1 August 1985

Disposition: Sunk as an artificial reef off Key Largo, Florida, 27 November 1987

Builder: Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Displacement: 2,350 (1936)

Length: 327' 0"

Beam: 41' 0"

Draft: 12' 6" (max.)

Propulsion: 2 x Westinghouse double-reduction geared turbines; 2 x Babcock & Wilcox sectional express, air-encased, 400 psi, 200° superheat; 2 x 9' three-bladed propellers.

SHP: 6,200 (1966)

Maximum Speed: 20.5 knots

Economical Cruising: 11.0 knots (8,000 nautical miles)

Fuel Oil Capacity: 135,180 gallons (547 tons)

Complement: 1937: 12 officers, 4 warrants, 107 enlisted;
1941: 16 officers, 5 warrants, 202 enlisted;
1966: 10 officers, 3 warrants, 134 enlisted.

Electronics:

HF/DF: (1942) DAR (converted British FH3?)
Radar: (1945) SC-3, SGa; (1966) AN/SPS-29D, AN/SPA-52.
Fire Control Radar: (1945) Mk-26; (1966) Mk-26 MOD 4
Sonar: (1945) QC series; (1966) AN/SQS-11

Radio Call Sign: NRDD

Armament:

1936: 2 x 5"/51 (single mount); 2 x 6-pounders.; 1 x 1-pounder.

1941: 3 x 5"/51 (single mount); 3 x 3"/50 (single mount); 4 x .50 caliber Browning MG; 2 x depth charge racks; 1 x "Y" gun depth charge projector.

1943: 2 x 5"/51 (single mount); 4 x 3"/50 (single mount); 2 x 20mm/80 (single mount); 1 x Hedgehog; 6 x "K" gun depth charge projectors; 2 x depth charge racks.

1945: 2 x 5"/38 (single mount); 3 x 40mm/60 (twin mount); 4 x 20mm/80 (single mount).

1946: 1 x 5"/38 (single mount); 1 x 40mm;/60 (twin mount); 8 x 20mm/80 (single mount); 1 x Hedgehog.

1966: 1 x 5"/38 MK30 Mod75 (single); MK 52 MOD 3 director; 1 x MK 10-1 Hedgehog; 2 (P&S) x Mk 32 MOD 5 TT, 4 x MK 44 MOD 1 torpedoes; 2 x .50 cal. MK-2 Browning MG, 2 x MK-13 high altitude parachute flare mortars.

Aircraft: Grumman JF-2, V148 (1938)
Curtiss SOC-4 (1941)

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:23 pm 

Part of Duane,s History.

This is convoy HX 233 it is the only HX convoy HMS BRYONY was on.

At 1110 Duane was ordered to take station ahead as Spencer was dropping back through the convoy following a contact on which she had already dropped two patterns of depth charges. Five minutes later the Spencer ordered Duane to close her and take over the contact. The Duane began a search on the indicated location and thirty minutes later a 740-ton German U-boat surfaced about 2,700 yards from the Duane. A minute later Spencer opened fire and Duane went ahead at full speed toward the submarine and after clearing her line of fire so as not to hit Spencer also opened fire. The submarine was now at right angles to the line of fire and several hits were obtained, one nicely centered on the submarine's conning tower. Seven minutes later, as men on deck were seen jumping overboard, Duane ceased fire.

The conning tower was smoking liberally and the submarine was moving ahead slowly, circling to the right. The Duane maneuvered to pick up survivors and by 1158 had picked up nine German enlisted men and one officer. Then she screened Spencer while that cutter sent a boat to the submarine. Twenty five minutes later the submarine, later ascertained to be the U-175, sank stern first. The Duane lowered a boat and picked up eleven more German enlisted men and one more officer. Four of the prisoners received medical attention. On the 20th Duane moored at North Gourock, Scotland, and delivered all prisoners to the custody of the British authorities and then proceeded to Londonderry arriving on 22 April 1943.

While putting clothing on the survivors, one of the prisoners from the sunken submarine, Leutnant zur See Wolfgang Verlohr, began talking freely and rather fluently in English. He had been afraid that Duane would not stop to pick up the submarine's survivors in spite of his crew's shouts and arm waving. He spoke of how cold the water was. He had jumped in soon after the submarine had surfaces. "It is not easy down there," he said. "The bombs were bad. The ship was not hurt, but inside it was all bad. Everything shaking, things fall down. It smelled bad and hurt the eyes." He commented on the excellence of the attack. "We came up and saw you in the periscope, but you saw us and we knew it was all over. Our chance to get you was gone. We don't like the bombs. It is hard when they shake the boat. We went down when you saw us and the bombs started going off, things stopped and would not work, a lot of things broke." He explained that they had raised the flippers and pumped air to try to steady the submarine. Not being able to steady her they surfaced and then our guns started and very soon after that he jumped into the water. "Did you see the other boat?" he asked. "She picked up some of your crew" he was told. Then it was realized that he meant another submarine. He had been in Barbados a year ago and up until two trips ago had been in the South Atlantic where they had sunk a six or seven thousand-ton ship full of "cement and things," bound for Moravia from Trinidad. Later he criticized his commanding officer for making a daylight attack, which he considered proper procedure only if the moon shone so brightly at night as to make attacks after dark risky for the submarine.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:30 pm 

Photo,s of USCGC DUANE

The model will be built like the 1943 photo,s

Last edited by ARH on Tue May 22, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 pm 

Welcome back admiral your students are starting to fill the room.

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :jump_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:20 pm 

cwm wrote:
Welcome back admiral your students are starting to fill the room.

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :jump_1:

I'm here teach. I'll try not to eat the glue paste or scratch on the blackboard this class.

TommyL.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:22 pm 

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:18 pm 

...I'm ready :eyebrows: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:47 am 

Sir notebooks armed and ready sir! Good to have you back. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:33 am 

Let 'er rip, Ron.

Hmmmm...I thought Christmas only came once a year? We're all very lucky to be here!

Good luck with the build!

Andy

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:58 am 

Admiral
where do i leave the apple
gary

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:12 am 

She is very nice.., i will see the building from the Master!!

Anton.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 am 

:woo_hoo: another build from the Admiral , keep those builds coming.

Ludwig

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:04 am 

Hi Ron great to see the MASTER in full flow Looking forward to your build. :woo_hoo:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:29 am 

Great to see you're resuming your scratchbuild threads! Also looking forward to seeing USCG Duane in progress, if it's anywhere near the standard of your USS Moffett and HMS Iron Duke it will be very impressive.
Will you be building the model to represent the ship's 1943 appearance?

(I'm still unsuccessfully looking for the Revell 1/300 Treasury-class kit; I have the diminutive Testors/Hawk 1/600ish kit, but would like to build one in a larger scale!)

Don't have time to read/post much in this forum ATM, but will check back later - there look to be some very interesting scratchbuilds in progress at the minute!

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:10 pm 

Ron 's Shipyards are going to reopen ...

:lol_spit_1: :lol_spit_1: :lol_spit_1:

Jef :wave_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:39 pm 

Well Guys the build starts to-night, I am starting with the rib plans for all the new people that are starting out on a build, to a lot you have seen it before, so please forgive me , someone may want to copy and save the thread that has never done it before :thumbs_up_1:

First of all we copy the RIB shapes from the drawing.

Then we take the bow section and copy that.

Next we flip it over so we now have a port and starboard of the BOW.

Next we join them together and we have the template for the rib sections on the bow.

Then we do the same for the stern section,

Flipping it again.

Joining the two together we now have all our ribs for the build.

We now have to cut out all the ribs we need for the build , I will be using 27 in total.

enjoy, ARH :wave_1: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:02 pm 

OH MY GOD i am so excited it is another one of Ron's great build :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:
lookin good Ron

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:41 pm 

Very cool pap's.

No matter how many times you explain this it never looses importance. If the others learn like me they will need it rammed into their heads constantly till its like walking.

I'm glad to see another fiberglass hull for this build. Is there a chance of making a mold instead of a plug?

TommyL.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:27 am 

The admiral is back on the bridge! :wave_1: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Interesting choice of ship too--not the usual...!

Will be following with interest!

JIM B -- the kit assembler ...!

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 869 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next