The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 am 

I only have the Chokai PE, along with the Takao class railing set. Perhaps if you posted a scan or photo?

Post subject: Takao Photoetch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:41 am 

Hi Dan:
Perhaps the easiest way is to look at the photo posted by Hobbylink:
http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS03991

Thanks, Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:44 am 

#7 is the aircraft dolley used to wheel the scoutplanes from position to position. #s 10 & 11 are the cradles for the aircraft. They slide from the top of the dolley onto the catapult, then propel the aircraft forward during the launch. Each is particular to a type of aircraft - single float vs. 2 float (fuselage supported) launch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:10 pm 
One of the biggest complaints concerning Aoshima's new Takao involves the mushroom vents on the deck. They evidently should resemble mushrooms rather than the squat cylinders that Aoshima molded into the deck. Fukuya has released a set of 60 turned brass 1/350 mushroom vents, intended for Hasagawa's Nagato, that could be used to correct at least some of the Takao vents as well. I ordered 2 sets. One for the Nagato, one for Takao.

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUK350-21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:50 am 

I agree. Using real mushroom vents is a must for proper detail. I still think it would have been easier for Aoshima to do it as a separate piece than those psuedo vents. I mean, if you're gonna take the time to mold it to begin with ....

Post subject: Just a hint.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:40 am 

I've started assembling the Takao, 1/350. Just a note for all you potential builders. leave off the Torpedo Bulges, parts B3 and B4 until after you have attached Parts I8 and I7 (Hull sections that cover the torpedo launchers). The reason being is that you may like to putty the joining seem between these two parts and the hull and it will be much easier to do this without the Torpedo Bulges on. After you've sanded you can attach B3 and B4.
David Gatt :jump_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:10 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Yesterday I got the Takao P.E set from WEM, I was stunned after seeing the size of those frets. These frets are so complex I couldn’t believe it with my own eyes, you must have these on your hands in order to understand every single P.E part I think pictures won’t do any justice :big_grin: . I’m really impressed with the whole set the window frames look awesome and the gangways, awning stanchions, boat davits are so amazingly done. With this one and the GMM Takao set + those fittings from veterans, flyhawk and some brass barrels , I think any one could end up with a neat Takao class heavy cruiser. I didn’t mention the LionRoar set because I won’t be buying it this time. BTW, I’d like to thank the people from WEM they did a superb job.

Attachment:
DSCF1130.jpg
DSCF1130.jpg [ 172.96 KiB | Viewed 4205 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF1133.jpg
DSCF1133.jpg [ 152.08 KiB | Viewed 4176 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF1135.jpg
DSCF1135.jpg [ 154.08 KiB | Viewed 4165 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm 

Does anyone have the Lion Roar Takao set yet? I can't find any place outside ebay that has it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:51 pm 

I've held off on the Lion Roar set until I can see it some where.

Jose, I know that feature was present for Maya & Takao, but not CHokai. Don't know why.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:58 am 

I'm a couple of days into building the Takao and must say the instructions are crap. I think they were designed for modellers who have other reference. Exploded views showing the parts to be added with arrows pointing only to the general area where mounted. Definitely not as good as Trumpeter or the Hasegawa Nagato instructions. But apart from that complaint, the kit itself is going together quite nicely (wish I had the CGI book). I also bought the Lion Roar P/E set which has me really pissed off. There are no hand rails other than the main guns and deck. I couldn't believe my eyes when it came time to put rails on the main superstructure. I thought that a fret was missing until I looked closely at the photo's of Lion Roar's completed Takao. :mad_1: Now I will have to find some matching railing elswhere. Damn you L/R, damn you!

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:39 am 

Sorry to hear LR dropped the ball, at your expense. But good to know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:03 pm 
Hmm, in LR's defense, they sell you a rather large set while many if not most PE manufacturers sell you a smaller etch set.

Plus, you should have paid more attention ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:07 pm 

I have to make a pitch for the Takao because I am building one:

Come on! The modernized Takao with smaller superstructure and tripod set far back looks much more balanced!

:big_grin:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:58 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
chuck wrote:
I have to make a pitch for the Takao because I am building one:

Come on! The modernized Takao with smaller superstructure and tripod set far back looks much more balanced!

:big_grin:

Come on Chuck you know none of them 3 beats Maya’s look she even had a woman’s name :heh: :lol_pound: :lol_spit_1:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 am 

I guess my predisposition towards Chokai make me a purist. I actually started with Chuck's viewpoint.

So, Jose, I see you've chosen to build her with a degaussing cable. I don't know that I would make the same choice for a late war fit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm 

I only got a handful of pictures of Maya these don’t even show the degaussing cable except on a drawing which shows half of the ship in her prewar refit and the other half on her 1944 refit if you have the Maru Special #4 you must have seen it. It’s most likely she had the D-cable back in 44 before she got sunk I’m basing myself in a couple of built models and they all have D-cable I think adding it will make the ship more accurate I don’t know about Chokai now I thought she had it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:46 pm 

Perhaps I should not have been thinking/typing out loud. Truthfully, the record isn't absolutely clear on Maya; it's a matter of opinion, I suppose.

The IJN fitted all its major warships and auxiliaries with an external degaussing cable in 1941 in anticipation of war. By midwar, it seems the IJN was either no longer convinced of of the cable's effectiveness, or chose to move it internally for new construction or major refits. So, new construction, like the Unryu class of CVs, or the Matsu/Tachibana classes of DDs, had no external cable.

Large ships undergoing extensive refits or reconstruction after damages also had the external cables removed. Photographic evidence of Chitose and Chiyoda after conversion to CVLS in 1943, Isuzu in late 1943 after conversion to a CLAA, Oyodo, and Junyo in late 1944 all show the external cable removed. On the other hand, CLs Noshiro, Yahagi and Sakawa were completed with an external cable.

There's no debate regarding Chokai - photos at Truk in Oct, 1942 show her with a cable. The problem with Maya is that her circumstance fits the profile of a ship having its cable removed, but the photo evidence is inconclusive. There's that one photo taken of her at Tawi Tawi in May,1944 but it's not quite clear enough for a factual determination. FWIW, current opinion in Japan is that the cable was removed. Here's the best closeup of that photo that I've come across (credit: KMM volume on IJN Cruisers):

Attachments:
Maya, May, 1944, closeup.jpg
Maya, May, 1944, closeup.jpg [ 313.43 KiB | Viewed 4289 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:01 pm 

When was her No3 8" turret removed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 pm 

During her last refit/repair - late Dec 1943 thru March 1944.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:55 pm 

This is the drawing I told you about Dan, 1944 refit is dated April 4 I also got the same shot of Maya you showed us above BTW this drawing comes from the MARU SPECIAL edition #4. Unfortunately that pic on this booklet is even darker I can’t distinguish any of the hull detail. I checked Maya’s TROM and she was at Yokosuka at that time who knows what happened there they might’ve removed the D- cable you might be right or wrong :big_grin: , in questions such as this one I wish I had a time machine , I’d first check on Arizona’s top turret colors that’s for sure :lol_1:

Attachment:
drawing.jpg
drawing.jpg [ 703.65 KiB | Viewed 4177 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next