The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:36 pm 

We've talked about the vertical lines on the Hasegawa Nagato hull, but what about the horizontal lines? Are they accurate or do we just tolerate them because they are not as obviously absurd as the vertical ones? Anyway, has anyone figured out a good way to deal with all these lines?
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:58 pm 
I sprayed the lower hull with 5 coats of white Tamiya primer and then sanded most it down to bare plastic. The primer remaining in the recessed panel lines pretty much filled it. Someone else did this better. I am having a little difficulty with areas around the stern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:17 pm 

I'm starting to waver. Think i might finally give in and order one. I can live with those lines.

More ££££££££'s leaving me. :cry_3:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:29 am 
simon b wrote:
I'm starting to waver. Think i might finally give in and order one. I can live with those lines.

More ££££££££'s leaving me. :cry_3:

But think of it as spousal disapprobation coming to you. :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:43 am 

As good of an excuse as any :thumbs_up_1:

Suddenly my conscience is clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:25 am 

Ok, so how about a rollcall on reference material ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:40 am 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
3D Nagato book from Futabasha ( I think is spelled like this) would be an excellent choice to have if you want to build her IMO.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... _00026.jpg

Moderator note: Images changed to links to save space. Also, if you are going to post images, please makes sure you fully credit the source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:01 pm 

Nice

How do i get hold of these Japanese books and the like ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:18 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
simon b wrote:
Nice

How do i get hold of these Japanese books and the like ?

Hi Simon
It’s a real shame this book is Japanese I wish I could understand some unfortunately I know jack of Japanese. These CGI pics speak for themselves, there’s so much detail on all of them. I bought it from HobbyLinkJapan they might or not have it in stock, another cool book that just came to my mind is the Gakken edition of this ship, this one is not easy to get. Hold on a sec I remember seeing one of these on Ebay not so long ago. There are more books out there another one is the Morskie edition don't know much about this one though. HTH

Jose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:19 pm 

Hello to all the Nagato fans,
i will start my Hasegawa Nagato when i have completed the 1/350 Yankee
Modelworks USS Montana. Well, ok i have done a bit already. Like putting
together the hull and some of the superstructure levels to check the fitting.
And i must say this kit is superb! One of the best kits i hae seen (so far). The fitting of the parts is outstanding, no filling and sanding needed, well at least so far. The level of detail is fantastic,concerning the reference material that i have.
The vertical lines on the hull don´t bother me that much since i will display my Nagato waterline in a diorama, so after cutting off the underwater hull
about 95% of those lines will be gone anyway. I have also purchased all three photoetch sets from Hasegawa and i must say these sets are magnificent! Especially the railings. Each railing part is custom made with the correct spacing of the stanchios and not standardised length of railing which have to be cut into small sections like the ones from other manufacturers.
Concerning the quality of both the ship and the photoetch sets i think the
pricing is ok. I got the Nagato for €105 and the sets for €80.
Since i will do my Nagato as she appeared at Leyte Gulf i will have to rework quite a bit. I plan to some of the 1/350 IJN equipment from
Veteran Models that will be released soon. 5 inch guns, 25mm single, twin
and triple mounts, searchlights and ready ammunition boxes. Maybe Lion Raor will release a 1/350 version of their sand bags (LE700081) splinter protection for the superstructures, would look cool on the ship and i have no idea how to make them myself.
The 3d Futabasha book about Nagato i can highly recommend. Forget about the colors but the CGI pics are really helpful.

Regards,
Jan Schulz
IG Waterline, Germany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:41 am 

Yes, I agree, the kit is great. Nice to hear that she will be in water.

I agree on the sets, they are simply fantastic, the best I have seen so far. The pricing is ok, since I ordered all from Japan. That most expensive set cost there 64 USD which is affordable.

I suggest you take a look at Fukuya brass barrels, 14 cm 18 pcs and 12 cm 4 pcs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:05 am 

Hello fellow fans!

Sharing a few photos of my Nagato. I've spent about 18 hours so far on her. Used a dremel tool to slice her open. She sits a bit high for now but once incorporated into 'water', she should be 3 to 5mm lower. The bridge is sectioned off in 7 layers to ease the internal painting, once the inside is painted, the outer P.E. will be attached.

Attachment:
DSC_0110.jpg
DSC_0110.jpg [ 649.01 KiB | Viewed 5791 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0120.jpg
DSC_0120.jpg [ 958.52 KiB | Viewed 5780 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0148.jpg
DSC_0148.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 5882 times ]

Frank :wave_1:

Last edited by Frank Portela on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:22 pm 
Which PE set(s) did you buy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm 

Guest wrote:
Which PE set(s) did you buy?

I've purchased all three of Hasegawa's sets, two P.E. sets and one "super set". All three sets combined have cost me more than the kit alone! The P.E. fits nicely, but is lacking in a few important areas. No inclined ladders, it makes you use the plastic stairs and gives you P.E. hand holds to tack on. I'll use the plastic ones for now, tacking them on instead of gluing them, hopefully with time, someone will address this omission and I'll be able to swap the plastic with the P.E.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:52 am 
I thought that your pagoda tower would have a lot of PE stuff on, but it looks like all in plastic. Did you install all the PE pieces on the tower yet, or did you just put a few for now?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:29 am 

The only P.E. I've placed has been on the internal parts of the pagoda. Once the inside is painted, and the 7 layers glued together, will I attach the external P.E. This should hopefully prevent damage to the fragile P.E. I'm currently awaiting the new Lionroar inclined ladder set to replace the plastic ones Hasegawa expects you to use... maybe Hasegawa will release it on their fourth P.E. set?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:22 pm 
Please continue to post your progress. This model looks really nice. Thank you for showing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:56 am 

Here are a few additional photos of my Nagato. Most of the added work has like before been done in unglued layers so I can add P.E. and paint without needless complications. I've given up trying to find P.E. inclined ladders. If I did locate them, they might not even come in the lengths desired.

I need help with the pagoda decks paint scheme. I have some b&w photos of the IJN CV Katsuragi bridge. It shows the walls to be either a white or very light grey colour, and the floor to be a darker colour, assuming to be mid to dark grey. The binocular pedestals appear to be white with the binoculars being a dark grey or black. Any sort of confirmation will be appreciated.

Attachment:
Nag001.jpg
Nag001.jpg [ 432.9 KiB | Viewed 5875 times ]

Attachment:
Nag003.jpg
Nag003.jpg [ 751.96 KiB | Viewed 5836 times ]

Attachment:
Nag007.jpg
Nag007.jpg [ 535.86 KiB | Viewed 5819 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:16 pm 

Hi Frank

This pics are from my 3D Nagato, these clearly shows all the levels of the pagoda structure they might give an idea of how to start the painting job please keep in mind these are 3D rendered images . I really HTH
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... _00008.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... _00009.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... _00010.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd10 ... _00011.jpg

Moderator note: Images changed to links to save space. Also, if you are going to post images, please makes sure you fully credit the source.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:35 pm 

Thank you kindly! :wave_1: that's all the info I should need. I'm in the process of attaching P.E. wish me luck!

:thanks:

Frank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next