The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:58 pm 

I love "figs." My uncle served on FFG-1, the "Broke," as he called her. So here we have FFG thread.

Gallery

1/96
FFG-31 USS Stark by Paul Simpson
FFG-41 USS McClusky by Don Macdonald
FFG-57 USS Ruben James by Eric Bertelsen

1/300
FFG-43 USS Thach by John Sykes
FFG-61 USS Ingraham by Chris Bloswick

1/350
FFG-51 USS Gary by Dave Becker
FFG-51 USS Gary by Dirk Mennigke
FFG 58 USS Samuel Roberts by Rusty White

1/700
FFG-7 USS Oliver Hazard Perry by Adam Mcleish
FFG-8 USS McInerney by Monty Fowler
FFG-10 USS Duncan / FFG-19 USS John A. Moore By Timothy J. Barron
FFG-19 USS John A. Moore By Peter Van Buren
FFG-36 USS Underwood by John C. Goodacre
FFG-43 USS Thatch by Christian Bruer
FFG-51 USS Gary by Nye Nava

Reviews
1/300 Lee Plastic

OK, so now here's my question. I've got the Blue Water Navy FFG-57 Ruben James kit, which is a Flight II ship. I'm interested in doing FFG-21 Flatley, but I'm not sure if she was a Flight I or II ship, and I can't seem to find anything on the web that breaks the class down by flights. Any good sources?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:52 pm 

If by Flight I/II you mean short vs long hull Perry then FFG-21 Flatley is the short hull Flight I. The FFGs able to support SH-60 were FFG-8, FFG-15, FFG-28, FFG-29, FFG-32 and FFG-36-61. FFG-7 had her hull lengthened but didnt receive RAST so she couldn t handle SH-60.Hope this helps.

Various 1/700 aircraft.
Juan Carlos I LHD 1/700.
HMAS Canbera LHD 1/700.
FGS Type 122 class FFG 1/700.
LSD-41 class LPD 1/700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 am 

Hi all, Tracy:

I am in the process of building an FFG in her Spanish Navy guise, which means some changes from her American counterparts. I will post some pics here if you are interested.

Cheers.
Pachi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:06 am 

If you look at any of the online references, like Navsource, just check the listed hull length- Flatley has the short fantail @ 445' OA, vs the extended one @ 453'.

I've got one I've already hacked to make FFG-13 someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:16 am 

Francisco P. de Nanclares wrote:
I am in the process of building an FFG in her Spanish Navy guise, which means some changes from her American counterparts. I will post some pics here if you are interested.

I'd go for it; these ships are serving around the world now (Turkey comes to mind as well as Spain) and the more information for people the better!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:19 pm 

Hi all.

Well then, the Spanish Navy FFGs have got some different features from the American original. You can see a couple of them in this picture of the early stages of the build (not that I have progressed much since :mad_1: ).

The bulkheads below the bridge were closed some years down their service to accomodate another cabin for the Squadron Commander or Commodore. A bit astern there are two structures supporting the satellite antennae.

Further back, not seen because they are still not build, are three antennae for INMARSAT and the like and the CIWS is not a VPhalanx, but an indigenous system by the name of Meroka. You can see a couple of the sat antennae in the backgroung.

Also the EW antennae over the bridge are different from their American counterparts.

Cheers.
Pachi.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:00 pm 

Ok guys, lets get this category moving again! I just got my sweaty hands on a Monogram USS Ramsey kit, and I am going to town on her! I have GMM 1/350 PE for modern USN warships, so I will be making the most out of it. Anyone tacked this classic? I have read a review which stated the hangar needs to be enlarged - any other observations?

Post subject: USS RAMSEY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:42 pm 

I built the RAMSEY as a GARCIA Class FF. Overall the ship is quite accurate for its as-built configuration. At that time she carried the DASH (Drone anti-submarine Helicopter) and had a smaller hangar. If you built her in her 1960's configuration I would remove a lot of the molded detail and replace it. If you want the ship in the 1970's-1980's configuration you have a lot of scratchbuilding to do. I found it pretty straght forward.
Either way you need to replace the 5in gun, it is the weak point of the kit. Email me, I can help with a replacement mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:49 pm 
Does any CVBG has a FFG with them? I too have the BLUE WATER NAVY FFG so I would to know if they are with the group's. :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 pm 

There are, though not many. If you take a look at this page: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/73a.htm
and look at image number NS027321, you will see at the far right (our right) an OHP class FFG.

Post subject: ffg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:53 pm 

Dear Pachi, I have some details for the Propellors of former Oliver Hazard Perry frigates....your model looks great, and bring us some more images as you go constructing....Would like to see its hull from the bow and astern! Show it!!! Visit navsource for more pics. My best regards: Jimmy

Francisco P. de Nanclares wrote:
Hi all.

Well then, the Spanish Navy FFGs have got some different features from the American original. You can see a couple of them in this picture of the early stages of the build (not that I have progressed much since :mad_1: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:05 pm 

Nektarios wrote:
If by Flight I/II you mean short vs long hull Perry then FFG-21 Flatley is the short hull Flight I. The FFGs able to support SH-60 were FFG-8, FFG-15, FFG-28, FFG-29, FFG-32 and FFG-36-61. FFG-7 had her hull lengthened but didnt receive RAST so she couldn t handle SH-60.Hope this helps.
Hey Nektarios are the FFG's getting RAM's to replace thier forward missle launchers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:21 pm 

Hi all, Jimmy:

In order to not clutter this thread with an "in progress" set of posts, which I understand is not the goal of this section, please go here:
http://u-modelismo.com/foro_modelismo_n ... wtopic=568

It´s in Spanish, but the pictures show the progress so far.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:11 pm 

Pachi - that's a sweet looking ship - love the attention to detail. I am doing my best to prepare the Ramsey for work upon my return from vacation. I look forward to seeing the end result of your work.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:13 pm 

Hi all.

Thanks John!, however, I just found a mistake I hadn´t noticed at the beginning. I am posting here since it can be useful for those of you building, or thinking about it, the YMW 1/350 FFG.

Two days back, while working on the model, it turned over and the SPS40 antena broke loose. No big deal after the first shock, so I readily was on my way reglueing it. Then I noticed the antenna was too close to the main mast. In fact it would break onto the lower platform. Surprised, I went back to my pictures wondering what I would have done wrong, but at the same time knowing I had done nothing wrong. So I found the forward mast is OK, while the main mast is too short. Look at this two pics:

The antenna clearly shows higher relative to the main mast than it should. As it is, the forward mast looks OK to me, but the main one don´t. Looking at the horizontal struts on both, the forward one has three on both the actual ship and the model, while the main one has six on the real ship and five on the model, making it shorter. I think it could be a design failure, but, what do you think?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:52 pm 

Here's a sneak peek for my Fig buddies-

http://www.modelwarships.com/features/w ... g8-01.html

The mast is definitely too short...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:11 pm 

are the FFG's getting RAM's to replace thier forward missle launchers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:44 pm 

HMAS Sydney FFG-03 in Seattle October 29, 2007. Click for a LARGE copy of each photo.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

And something for the weathering inclined:

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:11 pm 

Hi Guys, I have a stack of photos on my web site of Aussie FFG HMAS Newcastle, help yourself. Also pictures of my FFG done as HMAS Melbourne FFG 05.
http://homepage.mac.com/davidgatt/modelsite/Menu10.html

The problem with the Main mast as depicted in the 1/350 BWN Kit is that it is structured wrong. The kit depicts it as having 4 sides all inclined to a middle point as in a pyramid. However if you look closely at photos of the mast the rear corner supports should be 90 deg to the deck. The two front corner supports should incline towards the rear. This places the top platform further aft. In my build I used a fleetline Hull/superstructure. and then used parts from the Lee kit and photoeching/scratchbuilding, to finish her off. The hull and superstructure in the Lee kit is 1/300, however the masts, gun and other small fittings are 1/350.

David Gatt

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:49 pm 

Hi all,

I have already started the construction of my Spanish FFG F81 Santa María, of Lee, scale 1/300.
This is the ship herself :
Attachment:
(01).jpg
(01).jpg [ 104.21 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Attachment:
(2).jpg
(2).jpg [ 86 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Attachment:
(3).jpg
(3).jpg [ 58.05 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Attachment:
(4).jpg
(4).jpg [ 118.76 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

As for now, I have not done much except deleting all the details on decks and bulkheads, because the equipment that the model offers does match the American and Australian FFG´s, but not the Spanish counterparts.
I have also made the missile launcher and some parts of the stacks.

My way of buliding is somehow unorthodox : When all the basic elements are ready, and instead of starting with the hull and structures and only then the the finer details, I build as completely as possible some of the details first, to set the construction/quality standard for the rest of the ship.

You could say it is starting a house with the garden fence...

The missile launcher is completely finished. It is necessary to note that the launcher itself is set too aft in the model, exactly between the suspension arms, and has to be placed a bit further ahead.

Here you are some pics :
Attachment:
(5).jpg
(5).jpg [ 223.93 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Attachment:
(6).jpg
(6).jpg [ 226.72 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Attachment:
(7).jpg
(7).jpg [ 196.14 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Attachment:
(8).jpg
(8).jpg [ 236.05 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

Please let me know any suggestion that you can make.
Very best regards from Spain,

Willie.

Last edited by Willie on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next