The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:24 am 

I am a keen modeler and adore the Imperial German Derfflinger class Schlachtkreuzers. I am looking for a 1/700th scale plastic model. can any member tell me where to find one.

MODERATOR EDIT
Available Kits:
1/700
Flyhawk Defflinger
Flyhawk Lutzow
Combrig Derfflinger (resin)
Combrig Lutzow (resin)
Combrig Von der Tann (resin)
Combrig Seydlitz (resin)

1/350
Hobby Boss Seydlitz
Combrig Seydlitz (resin)
Combrig Von der Tann (resin)
Combrig Blucher (resin)

Gallery Entries:
1/700
Dariusz Mazurowski’s WSW Derfflinger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Jim Baumann’s WSW Derfflinger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Dariusz Mazurowski’s WSW Seydlitz: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Rob Kernaghan’s CW Moltke: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Rob Kernaghan’s HP Hindenburg: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

1/350
Tony Van Wyk’s ISW Seydlitz: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Various Scales
Paul Helfrich’s 1/250 JSC Seydlitz: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
David LaPell’s 1/1250 Navis Von der Tann: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Paul Helfrich’s 1/2400 GHQ Defflinger: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Last edited by regemet on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:43 am 

regemet wrote:
I am a keen modeler and adore the Imperial German Derfflinger class Slachkruzers. I am looking for a plastic model. can any member tell me where to find one.

There are no injection molded plastic models of any Derfflinger-class ships. There are a few resin kits in 1/700, one by HP and one by WSW. There are also kits of the Lutzow available by both of these manufacturers, while HP also makes the HIndenburg. IIRC, Combrig is planning on doing the Derfflinger-class.

Awhile back on e-bay, there was a limited edition 1/350 Hindenburg from a cottage-type company in Germany. I was tempted to bid on it but let it go by, and have not seen it again.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 am 

I wrote earlier about the Derfflinger class it led me to wonder if anyone had seen 1/700 plastic models o either the Makensen or Yorck class sclachkruzers of the Imperial German Nay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 am 

regemet wrote:
I wrote earlier about the Derfflinger class it led me to wonder if anyone had seen 1/700 plastic models o either the Makensen or Yorck class sclachkruzers of the Imperial German Nay

Nothing in injection molded. NNT makes a Mackensen while IHP made a Ersatz Yorck. The IHP kit is out of production. I bought one of the last one's he was selling - it's a very nice kit. The hull is one of Mike's best efforts.

I have never seen the NNT kit, but from the pictures of it on their website,it looks nice:

From the looks of it, these would have been formidable ships.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:27 pm 

regemet wrote:
I am a keen modeler and adore the Imperial German Derfflinger class Slachkruzers. I am looking for a plastic model. can any member tell me where to find one.

I built the WSW some years back for fun. I don't build alot of models myself, but the Imperial German Navy BCs are truely my favorite ships of all time.
Honestly, I wasn't much impressed by the result of a standard build of the WSW model. Nice deck details for sure, but the detail on the hull and superstructure was all but non existent. I think a person with skill could detail up the model to something nice though. I'm just not that person. Built from the kit, the detail equals a 1/1250 Navis/Neptune model I think.

Bob B.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:08 am 

I have already asked about the Derfflinger ,Makensen and Yorck class Schlachtkreuzers which led me to think could anyone tell me where to find 1/700th scale models of the Molkte class Schlachtkreuzers and the Schlachtkreuzer Seydlitz. Possibelly also the Schlachtkreuzer Von de Tann.

Moderator Note: I've combined all these into one thread

Last edited by regemet on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:47 am 

Thank you to the moderator I very much appreaiate it. I shuld have thought of i my self.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:35 am 

HP have kitted them all.

Apart from HP, here are CW kits of the Moltke class and Von der Tann.

WSW have kitted Blucher, Seydlitz, Lutzow and Derfflinger.

Combrig currently seem to be producing more WW1 German ships.

I have built CW's Moltke and HP's Hindenburg.

Regards,

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 pm 

It's 'schlachtkreuzer', BTW.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:04 pm 

Actually, German WW1 battlecruisers were classified as Große Kreuzer, or large cruisers. The term Schlachtkreuzer did not come into use in Germany until after the war.
Same thing with battleships - Germans prefered to use term Linienschiff (rather than Schlachtschiff) for their battleships in WW1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:57 am 

Drazen wrote:
Actually, German WW1 battlecruisers were classified as Große Kreuzer, or large cruisers. The term Schlachtkreuzer did not come into use in Germany until after the war.
Same thing with battleships - Germans prefered to use term Linienschiff (rather than Schlachtschiff) for their battleships in WW1

That is for sure correct. My German Books on the German Navy BBs and BCs of WWI do call them by those titles.

Bob B.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 am 

In case you missed them, two stunning High Seas Fleet Battlecruisers, by Nick Dogger

Lutzow

and

Moltke

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 am 

Won recently at auction, arrived today. I was simply taken by her grace - my favourite of them all!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 pm 

With Combrig's new kit out, I thought now would be a good time to examine the "Shell Magnet" in detail.

Questions, questions, questions...
First:
The instructions and scale plan provided with the kit lack any reference to boat stowage at all.

Any help?

Second:
The plan apparently shows the ship in 1913 fit, but the kit would appear to depict the ship in a later fit.

When were the bridge wings removed, and when was the wheelhouse added to the uppermost bridge level?

The kit also has an elevated compass platform on the quarterdeck, when was this removed?

I'd *like* to build the kit depicting her as she appeared roughly at the time of Dogger Bank.

Any input/observations would be very much appreciated. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 pm 

Can anybody tell me; where were the ship's boats stowed in action? The normal positions would block cross-deck fire from the wing turrets.

Yours,
James D. Gray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 pm 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm 

Hmmm...so that would seem to mean that the German warships were very deficient in lifesaving capacity. I know there were some rafts carried, but not apparently very many. Is this true?

Yours,
James D. Gray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:11 am 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:44 pm 

The aerial photo below is from the vintage Warships in Profile volume on Seydlitz and is captioned as showing the ship in September,1918. There are very few boats visible on the decks, in fact I can only make out two for sure, one under the barrels of E turret's guns and one on the port side of the forward superstructure. There may be another, stowed at an angle, next to the one under the guns.
Attachment:
IMG[1].jpg
IMG[1].jpg [ 127.3 KiB | Viewed 22432 times ]

Another interesting thing the photo shows well is the arrangement of the hatches and skylights on the ship's quaterdeck. This is something that every plan, rendering and kit seems to show differently and most do not get right.

The rendering below, also from the Profile, purports to portray the ship as she was at Jutland and shows three boats stowed on deck and one on the roof of D turret. The boat on the turret shows up in the after-battle photos of Seydlitz and, remarkably, it appears to have survived the battle intact.
Attachment:
Seydlitz.jpg
Seydlitz.jpg [ 106.57 KiB | Viewed 22419 times ]

The totally bare expanse of wood deck from A turret aft to C turret looks odd and is not correct as there were skylights, hatches, coal ports, decklights and other equipment located through out this area. Also, from what I understand, to show th ship correctly at Jutland the aft funnel should be painted red.

I was fortunate to recently acquire one of the old Classic Warships 1/200 semi-kits of Seydlitz and I have been trying to accumulate as much infromation and resources on the ship as I can. It appears that building an accurate model of the ship at a particular point in time is going to be very difficult as reliable plans and dated photos seem to be rather scarce.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:31 am 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.