The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:42 am 
Hello,

I've got two very interesting pics showing Leander Class Royal Navy Light Cruiser passing Kiel Kanal (one in Holtenau or Brunsbutel locks and an other under Levensauer Hochbrucke- the place where every German warship was pictured :welcome:)

RN ships sometimes came back home using this way when paying visits in Baltic countries.

My question is which one of Leander class could be portrayed on pictures,
ie, which one paid visit on Baltic during prewar career.
Comparing some details I would vote for HMS Achilles or HMS Leander
herself but I can be wrong.
The best news would be only one of this class was ever present on the
Baltic sea :big_grin: and problem would resolve by itself.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:28 pm 

Greetings all

Given that I am again in a cruiser mood lately and after having HMS York finished and now being under repair due to post-model-show "damage" I am on into another RN cruiser. This time I am having a go with the Niko ORP Conrad for which I intend to back date her to the final version of WWII of the ship still as HMS Danae. I have a good idea of her upgrades during the war however I have seen only a couple of photos of her in camo scheme (apparently a 3 colour scheme) and have no idea of what colours they might be. Any ideas?
Cheers,

Filipe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:25 pm 

Hi Filipe:

Warship Perspectives Camo Vol. 3. 1943-44

Danae in her late'43 camo pattern that used G5, B30 an B55. In her '43 configuration she had two quadruple pom poms fitted amidships, a twin 4" mount fitted aft and four twin 20mm fitted.

Wood decks: may have been painted bit definite data is lacking.

Gunshield roofs:

A,B and Q- medium tone
X- light gray

Hopefully this is the info you're looking for. :wave_1:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28 pm 

I forgot to mention, great topic! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
This month I'm only building my HMS ships. :big_grin:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:59 pm 

Ahhh, lovely!!! Very useful the colours indeed. That brings some light to the painting job. The photos I've seen show the startboardside of the ship. Does the book you mention shows the portside? Wondering if they are equal in both sides...which I doubt seriously.
Good luck with your HMS projects. I might consider starting an E class DD in the meantime as well...I have a few of them on my sights to build!!!! :big_grin:
Cheers Bob.

Filipe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:44 pm 

Hi Filipe:

The port side is not equal to the starboard side. The camo pattern looks more of a slopeing type than the starboard if this makes any sense?

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:26 pm 

Port side was not the same. It had a more wavy pattern than the starboard.

Bob Pink.

Post subject: HMS DANAE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 am 

Filipe Ramires wrote:
Greetings all

Given that I am again in a cruiser mood lately and after having HMS York finished and now being under repair due to post-model-show "damage" I am on into another RN cruiser. This time I am having a go with the Niko ORP Conrad for which I intend to back date her to the final version of WWII of the ship still as HMS Danae. I have a good idea of her upgrades during the war however I have seen only a couple of photos of her in camo scheme (apparently a 3 colour scheme) and have no idea of what colours they might be. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Filipe

Dude! I`ve got the Niko Models Conrad for exactly the same purpose, though I intend a 1942 build.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:53 am 

Hi GoneAsiatic:

If your needing the 1942 camo pattern here it is: Warship Perspectives Vol. 2 1942

Danae as in July 1942 in an interesting design the colors of which are unknown, but were probably medium and light gray. The third color was definitely black. The side colors were carried across the decks at 90 degrees to the center line where the side panels touched the deck edge. The port side pattern was identical.

Hope this will help you out.
:wave_1:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:42 pm 

Interesting stuff indeed. So we might be seing two different camo schemes for Danae then? The only photos I have seen of her in camo scheme are the following ones:

This image shows Danae in the middle and with the Mauritius leading and Arethusa in last. Any idea of the approximate date of the photo? From what I have dig so far Danae was with Mauritius in 1942 in the Indian Ocean Force.

Same camo scheme but from a different angle and occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:31 pm 
The upper picture shows part of the bombardment force on its way to Normandy for Operation NEPTUNE - the date is variously given as 3 June 1944 or 5 June - take your pick.

Raven's book does indeed show two different schemes for DANAE.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:51 am 

Hmm, cheers Tim. That's the camo scheme I am intending to do in Danae. This pretty much solves some things. Now I just have to find the proper colours to paint her...but first the ever lasting job of building and overdetailing her.
Any other suggestions?
Cheers,

Filipe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:49 pm 

Another photo of Danae during WWII but already as ORP Conrad. Little or no modifications were done to her when she was loaned to the Polish Navy but the camouflage scheme is a more simple and typical late war one:

Cheers,

Filipe

Post subject: Leander class
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:37 am 

Is it possible to make a 1/600 scale Leander class into a close approximation of a waterline 1/700 scale?

Post subject: HMAS SYDNEY piccys.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm 

Piccys of Sydney
THE first photographs have been released of the HMAS Sydney sitting at a depth of 2400m, 112 nautical miles off Dirk Hartog Island.

[Editor's note: HMAS Sydney was an Amphion-class (modified Leander-class) light cruiser of the Royal Australian Navy. The ship had great success in the first years of World War II, but controversy and mystery surrounded the loss of the battle-hardened Sydney and her crew in November 1941. Her sinking with all hands represents the greatest ever loss of life in an Australian warship; Sydney was also the largest vessel of any country to be lost with all hands during the war.]

The seven pictures show wreckage strewn on top of “Y” turret, and “B” turret with evidence of a direct hit by the German raider HSK Kormoran between its gun barrels.
Another picture reveals a port side cradle for the aft 27-foot whale boat, which is missing, and another shows an upturned searchlight platform torn away from forward funnel.
Other pictures show areas of Sydney’s teak decking remain remarkably intact and some of the many portholes visible on Sydney’s port side.
The wreckage of HMAS Sydney was finally discovered last month 66 years after vanishing off the coast of Western Australia.
While the discovery of the final resting place of 645 Australian servicemen solves our greatest maritime mystery, questions about why it has taken so long to find her and what exactly happened on November 19, 1941, continue to bubble to the surface.

The quick-fire discovery of Sydney and her German nemesis also highlights the carefully managed public relations exercise involving the Finding Sydney Foundation and various federal government departments.
According to expedition leader and famed shipwreck hunter David Mearns, his organisation told Finding Sydney chairman Ted Graham in Canberra around lunchtime on Sunday - an hour after Kevin Rudd told the nation the Kormoran had been found that the Sydney had also been discovered.
The discovery also finally put to rest claims the Kormoran's commander, Theodor Detmers, lied about where he thought the Sydney had gone down.
Detmers, along with 317 German survivors from the scuttled German raider, last saw the Sydney listing, ablaze and rudderless, heading south-southeast.

He told his interrogators the co-ordinates for the battle zone: 111 degrees east, 26 south.
Despite decades of scepticism and deep suspicions about the German's claims, Mr Mearns believed him and used that information and other German accounts as the platform to launch his expedition.
The SV Geosounder found the Kormoran almost exactly where Detmers said it was.
The photographs may help maritime historians to piece together what happened more than 66 years ago in Sydney's encounter with the Kormoran.
Under the Historic Shipwreck Act, a protected zone of 200ha will be enforced around the wrecks, with hefty fines to discourage souvenir hunters.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 01,00.html
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/

last saw the Sydney listing, ablaze and rudderless,
First I have heard of rudderless & as it was dark at the time ????

Post subject: Re: HMAS SYDNEY piccys.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:24 pm 

"Rudderless" does not necessarily mean physically missing its rudder, more likely that it was not being steered with control or was on an erratic course. Burning as she was, it may have appeared the ship was meandering, especially from a distance, and in little/no daylight.

"We've lost rudder, Cap'n...!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:22 am 

The pictures made available so far give no clue about why the ship was lost. Do the local currents move on-shore or off-shore?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:21 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
"Rudderless" does not necessarily mean physically missing its rudder, "We've lost rudder, Cap'n...!"

AFAIK the german survivors did not mention anything about a meandering course etc
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:58 am 

chuck wrote:
The pictures made available so far give no clue about why the ship was lost. Do the local currents move on-shore or off-shore?

Not sure about that section 100miles off shore. but being the Western side of the island generally sth to nth (cool water current.)
However some rubbish was found on the coastline Sth East, & one carly float was on Christmas island 2 mths later, almost NNE.
Graham in WA would be able to give a better idea being semi local to the area,
7 boats & gawd knows how many carly floats & only 2 floats ever show up?
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:46 am 

More pics have been released on the Finding Sydney website which show more damage and the overall condition of the HMAS Sydney. There is also video footage of the initial ROV dive