The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this game working?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:34 am 

Could a user of this game please describe the experience?

I was an Avalon Hill Jutland junkie in the 1960s (I probably still have rugburn to prove it), therefore, I am really only interested in wargames that preserve realism and realistic rule sets at the expense of graphics and playability.

Should I buy into this game?

-- "A Nation at Risk" (1983)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:52 am 

I have no idea whether it's 100% correct in damage modelling and what-not, but it does seem to be quite correct (takes a lot of shots before an enemy sinks - the demo can take over 3 hours to finish). Just download the demo and try it out!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:35 pm 

If its of any interest check this forum,
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245

its the developers forum so a lot of tech talk about realism.
From a personal point of view its not perfect but as good as it gets , also Jutlands only weeks away which in my opinion will be a must...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:08 am 

My problem is it requires XP or later.

The PC associated with my work environment is still running 2000 pro (although it has a Radeon 9800, 2GB of memory and a 2GHz P4 on an Intel reference board, it is not considered Vista capable, although it runs Eve and Homeworld well. My Son gave me his Alienware laptop with XP, but it runs so over hot that a half-hour of runtime is about all the run time to expect from it before it has a heat crash.

I have access to one Vista machine, with an Asus P800E motherboard, 4GB of 4-way interleaved memory, an overclocked Prescott processor running around 4GHz, and an Asus X100, but it is not often available to me. Even this machine struggles with Rainbow Six Las Vegas. I wonder what they were thinking.

It's interesting that this Vista box is the only one that approaches an Alpha in spec and speed. Imagine what these games would be like on a machine with a terabyte of memory and, say, 512 processors.

It seems to me a huge gap still exists between 7,000 rpm ATA or SATA drives, and arrays of 15,000 U3 SCSI drives.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:50 am 

But if you don't have a machine to run the demo on right now, then what are you going to use for the full version, pending a favourable review? =/

If your Vista machine does not have a decent video card, then it's not going to run any modern games with full graphics on - try lowering your game graphic settings to minimum.

In any case, Distant Guns does not require a very good video card - your Vista machine should run it fine. If you're really strapped for time access, download the demo and install it on a USB drive and run Distant Guns off of that when you have the chance to access the Vista machine. That way, you won't have to spend time downloading and installing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:00 pm 

Ah, when he leaves for the day that Vista Machine is migrating into my office to be replaced on his desk by something similar, but not quite the same.

Did I mention I can be a real SOB?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:45 pm 

My Mac starts from a cold boot in about 15 seconds. Why is it that PCs start out with a couple of minute reboot and progress slowly until they take 10-15 minutes to fully boot?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm 

BTW, it appears they lie like dogs.

Seems to run quite fine on my 2GHz P4 with W2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:02 pm 

Well, it doesn't say it won't work on systems older than XP ;) I guess it's their way of saying "We've only tested this on XP and Vista - if you use it on an older machine, we won't provide support, but if it works, great."

Re. Boot time - it's because you have too damned many crap in that systray of yours and not enough RAM. Take a look at what kind of junk starts itself up when your computer starts - they're all in that tray at the bottom right of your screen. See what you can set to not run when computer turns on. Generally the greatest culprits of this are virus scanners - on my old 512mb RAM system, it took 10-15 min for the harddrive to settle down after powering on. On my new machine with 3 GB of RAM, it takes 1 minute for ready-to-use status and 2 min for the harddrive to stop spinning - of course, since it's new, there's a lot less crap installed on it that wants to start up whenever the machine does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:28 pm 

My 5-year old Mac laptop is has and will always take 15 seconds to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:42 pm 

Have you installed anything new that automatically runs once the computer boots up in those 5 years?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:04 am 

Timmy C wrote:
Have you installed anything new that automatically runs once the computer boots up in those 5 years?

Hundreds of programs, including for example things that run in MacOS9 compatibility mode, which essentially requires a second (concurrent) boot. Apache and Samba start up, Apple File Protocol (net), Disklight, which flashes little red and green rectangles when I/O activity occurs on the net or disk, Weatherpop advance which stores radar and realtime weather info in the menu bar, bluetooth access to my phone, the entire Mac is WiFi based, It checks for updates as it boots, and then, of course, the entire disk is encrypted so only a properly authorized user can access it, and it connects to the backup share where a copy of every disk change is written.

Of course, unlike a PC when I close it it "sleeps" rather than shuts down, so on 99% of the occasions when I open it, it's already fully up, WiFi is connected and disk shares are restored. All within 1 second.

You ought to visit an Apple store and get the tour.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:11 pm 

Quote:
Of course, unlike a PC when I close it it "sleeps" rather than shuts down

I assume you mean laptop? If so, Windows laptops have the same feature - in fact, I'm using one right now that just woke up .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:56 pm 

Actually, both. Of course you can shut them off - sort of - too.

When the first generation eMacs came out Jobs said why bother with an "off" switch ... they use about the same amount of power in sleep and shut down mode.

By the way, these systems were a stroke of genius from the design standpoint. The eMac G3 used exactly the same "guts" as a G3 laptop. The only difference was the display and the disk drive (which was not a notebook disk, but a regular disk).

My Mac G4 "Cube" is the same way, corresponding to the G4 Powerbook. Since it has no fans it makes no noise. It has been running continuously since 2000 and the only fault was when the hard drive wore out. So, I replaced the 20GB drive with a 120GB drive. It has 1GB of memory, which is quite enough for a Mac, and does absolutely everything I want, including play my DVDs all in a noiseless cube configuration.
Attachment:
G4CUBE.GIF

By the way, don't tell anyone but I'm getting myself a Macbook Air with the solid state disk for my birthday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:37 pm 

Don't drop it ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:53 am 

Your buying it, then giving it to me right? Cuz i'm pretty sure thats what you should do. Cuz like, I saw it first. Its mine. Mine I tell you! *breaks down into tears and clutches Werners leg, crying and drooling all over it*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:46 pm 

Tut, tut. You sound like the last graduate student whose career I ruined.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:57 pm 

So, they parachute me into this battle without a manual or anything.

I guess I'll have to poke around the directory or the website for one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:09 pm 

When you installed it, it should come with a "Distant Guns RJW - Player's Guide PDF" pdf file on the desktop. Or look in your Programs --> Storm eagle studios --> Distant Guns --> Player's guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 pm 

Werner wrote:
Tut, tut. You sound like the last graduate student whose career I ruined.

Haha, only you can't ruin my life .... well, not as easily. I'm sure you have your ways.... :big_grin: