The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:58 pm 

THANK YOU SO MUCH STEVE!!! Those were very helpful pics. WOW WEEE that DD-804 is really coming along nicely now. Absolutely brilliant work!!! The more I see the more inspiring (to do my own Fletcher hence the pics)

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:27 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks, men!

Mike Glasgow wrote:
Could you describe how you made the aft 20mm gun tub. Did you heat the plastic in warm water? Just wondering how you kept that perfect symmetrical shape, no twisting, looks really nice. How many pieces did you use for the vertical wall?

The vertical wall is composed of a single .020 Evergreen styrene strip cut into three parts from a large sheet. The three parts are the left side, right side, and flat panel.

The deck location of the splinter shield was carefully marked out in pencil directly on the deck before I installed the deck to the hull. Marking can be done afterwards but you will likely find marking locations is easiest when the deck is lying flat on a table without any other features like deckhouses and turrets fixed to the deck.

The shield parts were cut from the larger sheet using a thick steel ruler as a straight edge guide and a #11 Xacto knife. Cutting all three parts from a single longer part ensures that they will all be the same height when assembled. The small drain holes at the bottom of the shield were made using a Waldron punch and die set, pricey but worth it.

After cutting out the three styrene parts, I marked the locations of the ribs and drains and punched the drains open.

I then marked the portions of the shields that must be curved. I then pulled the marked areas of each part across the handle of a small hobby file quickly which will curve the plastic. It's the same technique used to make a curly ribbon by pulling a straight ribbon across a scissors.

Then using common Testors liquid cement in the black bottle, I ran a very small bead of glue along the edges and fixed the shield parts onto the deck markings (and each other) then held the part very tightly against the deck for about 10-15 seconds. Pressure helps the glue bond better.

After the shield had bonded to the deck I began fixing the reinforcing ribs to the inside of the shield. You can do this before you fix the shield to the deck but I think the shield will sit more plumb if you fix the ribs later. The ribs are cut from .015x.040 Evergreen styrene strips. A bag of them costs about $3. I cut the strips a bit long so that they will jut above the shield after they are installed. I placed them into position using a very fine needle-nose tweezers (you need this). Once the glue sets, I trim them with a cuticle clipper to the proper height and angle.

A simple, inexpensive cuticle clipper is one of the most useful tools you can own. I use it more than an Xacto knife.

Hope all this helps.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:12 am 

Another excellent build about to fall off the 1st page . Steve how is your Fletcher progressing ? :cool_2: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:54 am 

A simple, inexpensive cuticle clipper is one of the most useful tools you can own. I use it more than an Xacto knife.

He,s got the nicest hands on Modelwarships, :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:51 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks, gents!

My Fletcher is presently waiting yard space pending work to be completed on Yorktown.

My hands do look good. And the chicks dig it.

-Steve L.

Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:23 pm 

:cool_2: :cool_2:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:24 pm 

Cool work there Steve!

:thumbs_up_1:

Nick

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 am 
G'day Steve,
Some of your work is very impressive and it is giving me ideas whilst I am building my fletcher class type destroyer.
As you are aware that I am going to scratch build my lindberg kit of the 1/125 scale of the USS Melvin also known as; "Blue Devil" DD-680.
Could you tell me if all fletcher class type destroyers had kiels on them? I do have drawing plans of a USS Fletcher, shows no kiel, however, can you please tell me if these ships had kiels anyways?
Another thing I wish to ask you is to how to work with styrene. I have used styrene before, only for very small fine jobs, what is the best way to shape thick styrene to the shape I need to shape it without splitting it or cracking it?

Peter

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:19 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hello Peter!

Guest wrote:
As you are aware that I am going to scratch build my lindberg kit of the 1/125 scale of the USS Melvin also known as; "Blue Devil" DD-680.

Good luck with the kit!

Guest wrote:
Could you tell me if all fletcher class type destroyers had kiels on them? I do have drawing plans of a USS Fletcher, shows no kiel, however, can you please tell me if these ships had kiels anyways?

The ships had bilge keels on the exterior, one on each side. The Lindberg kit is missing these.

Guest wrote:
what is the best way to shape thick styrene to the shape I need to shape it without splitting it or cracking it?

You may want to soften the styrene in very warm water before shaping it.

Attachments:
File comment: Fletcher bilge keels
IM002585.jpg
IM002585.jpg [ 580.68 KiB | Viewed 2241 times ]
File comment: Inaccurately shaped Lindberg "Blue Devil Destroyer" hull in front of
my scratch-built hull.

IM001052.jpg
IM001052.jpg [ 84.92 KiB | Viewed 2343 times ]

-Steve L.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 am 
G'day Steve,
I have been reading your information in regards to the fletcher type class destroyers, and it is helping me out so much and carefully reading and studying about how to work with styrene.
I have a question for you though....
As I have mentioned that I am scratch building the lindberg's 1/125th Blue Devil or USS Melvin, majority of it will be scratch and the rest will be photo-etched.
I am going to turn this destroyer into radio control, and sometime within the next week I am going out shopping for lights for this ship. Most of the lights I have covered, however, I need some help in knowing what lights are used atop the mast?
The drawings do show clearly the lights, what I am interested in, is the fighting lights. what lights are used?
I have everything planned out for my lighting system for this ship, however, I am wanting to know about the lights on the mast as well as the fighting lights for port and starboard on the mast itself?
Much appreciated if you could help me out with this matter so that I can plan my work out for lights.

Thank you
Peter

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

cruiserman wrote:
...what I am interested in, is the fighting lights. what lights are used?

Hello Peter!

As I understand it, the fighting lights were used in combination to help identify friend from foe, and therefore the combination of which lights were lit varied. I recommend you ask the question on the main board. Others who know much more than I do are likely to help.

-Steve L.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:06 pm 
I am trying to find 4 Blue Devil 5" gun housings .

Bob
Empire State Battle Group

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:00 am 

Someone made a set of turrets and a director for the kit. Can't remember who it was, but check the resin manufacturers on this site and Steel Navy.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm 

If I am not mistaken Dreadnought Navy Shipyards had a set for the 5" guns & the Director for about $30.00. I do not know if these are still being offered. Google it.

Regards,

Brian

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:05 pm 

Steve Larson . . I read every part of this thread. I am embarking on a similar project using the 1/144 Revell kit to render a mid war Square Bridge . . DD-522 USS Luce.

Please post an update!!

USS Luce DD-522 in MS 32/18D, Revell 1/144
USS Luce DD-522 in MS 21 (1945), Revell 1/144

In the Future;

USS Luce DD-522, 1/72 Scratch Build
LSM(R)-190 Modded from Revell 1/144 LSM (landing Ship Medium) Kit

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:15 pm 

I have been researching various Fletcher projects online, and this build is outstanding! The joinery of the plastic parts, in particular, is remarkable. What kind of adhesive are you using?

PeeJay

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm 

PeeJay & LoB,

FYI, Steve Larsen has not posted here in many years, I doubt you will receive a response to your queries.

Cheers,

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:55 pm 

Thanks, Bill. I hadn't noticed the month on the posts before the last couple.

PeeJay

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 am 

Steve Larsen's work on this build was truly amazing. :cool_2: I don't have a clue as to why he never finished it. :thinking:

We are all getting older and some day this will happen to all of us. One day we're building and posting progress photos and then the thread all of a sudden ends for no reason. :smallsmile:

We all know the world is round, maybe Steve found a flat spot and his ship sailed over the edge never to be seen or heard from again. :cry_3:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks for the comments! Hope you have all been well. Back from the dead and work resumes. :woo_hoo:

Here are some photos of brand new turret masters made from more accurate drawings (from Floating Drydock, of course).

Attachments:
5in.01.jpg
5in.01.jpg [ 24.6 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
5in.02.jpg
5in.02.jpg [ 68.17 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
5in.04 (resized).jpg
5in.04 (resized).jpg [ 109.09 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
5in.07 (resized).jpg
5in.07 (resized).jpg [ 154.26 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
5in.11 (resized).jpg
5in.11 (resized).jpg [ 130.22 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
File comment: Notice how tall the blast hood is for the gun captain.
558laws-14.jpg
558laws-14.jpg [ 138 KiB | Viewed 923 times ]

-Steve L.

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next