The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm 

Have you tried soaking the thread in a white glue and water mixture? That weighs it down for draping, and when it dries the glue holds it in position. I did a few draped lines on my recent ironclad build and used that method.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:20 am 

Thanks Devin & Jose,

I hadn't heard of the white glue option, I'll give that a try.

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:20 pm 

Indeed! Looking forward to your Yamato.

Actually, not really. I am building a Yamato as well and I dread seeing yours. :big_grin: :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:14 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Thank you very much Chuck :big_grin: ! hey may I ask in what year are you modeling her? and how about a heads up on those pics :heh:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:37 am 

On the topic of Maya....It's been said that two 7.7mm Lewis guns were installed on either side of the AA command platform during her modification. None of the drawings I've seen reflect these. In the attachment I've pointed out the only two points I could think of that could be them although the drawings portrays them as optics of some sort. Could one of these points be them or were they located further back? Also, Lacroix's book states that during her modification she also received somewhere around 40 13mm single relocatable mounts. I've not seen these on any drawing or in anyone's builds. Were they stowed away when not in use or landed for more 25's during her final refit? I would like to include them in my build someday and I would assume they would just be scattered around the deck wherever space could be found?

Attachments:
Untitled16mod.jpg
Untitled16mod.jpg [ 107 KiB | Viewed 4088 times ]
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:20 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Hi Chris

These are what I used on mine I’m not sure if Maya ever carried those Type 95 fire controls or those guns you just stated I simply guessed, I’ve seen pics of the AA bridge and funny thing is none of the equipment look alike except for those standard binoculars I just chose what I liked although these did kind of resemble the ones I saw on a picture of Maya sent to me by Hermill In case you are wondering these came from the new Hasegawa accessories. HTH

Jose

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:01 pm 

Thanks Jose. I wonder if the locations of the Lewis guns are unknown beyond just what bridge level they were on.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm 

ChrisC wrote:
Thanks Jose. I wonder if the locations of the Lewis guns are unknown beyond just what bridge level they were on.

Dan Kaplan is the answer Chris :big_grin: , I'm sure he can help you on this 1

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 am 

I've never heard of 7.7mm weapons mounted on the Tako class bridgeworks. According to L&W, two 7.7mm mounts were part of the Takao class original armament, but placed on the raised platform to either side of #1 funnel, not anywheres upon the bridge. There were late rreplaced by single 13mm, and then subsequently, twin 25mm in early war.

It's all optical and sighting equipment up there on the bridge, as Jose has very nicely demonstrated.

FWIW

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:29 pm 

I'll have to grab the Lacroix book when I get home because I'm pretty sure it mentions the Lewis guns on the bridge. Or I'm just imagining things, which wouldn't be new! :crazy:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:15 pm 

Dan K wrote:
I've never heard of 7.7mm weapons mounted on the Tako class bridgeworks. According to L&W, two 7.7mm mounts were part of the Takao class original armament, but placed on the raised platform to either side of #1 funnel, not anywheres upon the bridge. There were late rreplaced by single 13mm, and then subsequently, twin 25mm in early war.

It's all optical and sighting equipment up there on the bridge, as Jose has very nicely demonstrated.

FWIW

Yep, according to Lacroix (pp. 136), both were replaced in 1935.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:36 pm 

I was wondering if anyone knew the color of these cruisers' decks around '44 and later? I've heard the linoleum was replaced before that due to being a fire hazard.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:33 pm 

THere has been misinterpetation of orders issued in 1943 about removal of linoleum as a fore hazard. The order referred to INTERNAL spaces, not main decks. It is obvious from numerous postwar photos that linoleum remained on the main decks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:26 pm 

Hi, I have a question regarding the degausing cable on the Takao. Does anyone know when it was installed on the Takao? I'm almost finished mine. I have done her in a May 1942 configuration as per the kit. There is no degausing cable on the hull, however I have the Lion roar set which has the cable. My reference, Anatomy of the ship, doesn't state when it was installed.

Thanks
David Gatt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:40 pm 

Degaussing cables were added to all IJN capital ships & DDs during the fall 1941 emergency refits for war. She defintely had one in 1942

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:36 am 

Hi Guys, My Takao is almost finished. Just need to do the rigging and weathering. I've posted some pics of her on my web site. Nice kit, very disappointed with the Lion Roar Photo etch however.

http://homepage.mac.com/davidgatt/modelsite/Menu10.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:17 pm 

1st chance I've had to look - very nice, David.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:07 pm 

The pictures of Jose's very nice Maya have been split out into the Picture Post "Completed Models" forum. You can find the thread here

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 pm 

Hi,

have one quick question regardin Takao and Maya. I have 1/700 Maya model and would like to upgrade it with following sets :
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMAM-35
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMAM-36

I would like to build 1944 configurationa and I was wondering can I use these sets for Maya 1944. Thanks a lot.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 pm 

#35 definitely, all the parts should be used. #36, not so sure, some parts OK, though the AA platform around Maya may be similar to Takao & Atago

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next