The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: U-84 Questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:50 am 

Bob Cicconi wrote:
I just double-checked my sources and Ubootwaffe.net, and they all list U-84 as a type VII B boat.

True, I checked Uboat.net as well and they list the submarine as a Type VIIB. Could be a spelling mistake in Sharpe's book perhaps. I did take a look last night on Clay Blair book on U-boats and he speaks briefly of U-84 patrols but no mention to her AA guns. I will try to take another look tonight on some more stuff on her...now I am intrigued as well with this!!! If I may ask, Bob, why you are choosing U-84 for the model? I am building a Mirage Type VIIB as well but I choosed Kretschmer's U-99.
Regards,

Filipe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:32 am 

I found in a polish book "AJ-Press_EOW_47_U-Boot VII vol.1" the second drawing, confirmed by "u-boote type VII - anatomy of the ships", first draw.
hope than help, sorry no foto ciao peppe

Attachments:
File comment: from AJ-Press_EOW_47_U-Boot VII vol.1
VII B U84.JPG
VII B U84.JPG [ 38.04 KiB | Viewed 4722 times ]
File comment: from AOS u-boote type VII
VII B U 84 a.JPG
VII B U 84 a.JPG [ 77.75 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:28 pm 

I checked Volume 3 "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815 - 1945" by Erich Gröner (German Warships 1815 - 1945), the Standarwork about ships of the German navies from 1815 - 1945.

U-84 was an Type VII B equipped with an additional Flak platform behind the Wintergarten (seen in picture A12/8 in peppes post) for a 2cm C/38 Flak during 1943. U-84 was build at the Flender Werke in Lübeck from 1939 - 1941. Commisioned on 29. April 1941 the boat was lost with all hands on 24. August 1943 in the North Atlantic by Fighter Aircraft of USS Core (CVE-13)!

AKA "Painter"
VMF'06 - German Gamblers
Veritable Modelling Friends 2006, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:05 pm 

Thanks for the replies! The side view of the U-84 was a big help, as it confirmed that the lower nett cutter was still in place. I have the other drawing that shows the rear mount. From what you and Chrsitian are telling and showing me, the Mirage kit is in error showing the rear mount to be a twin, rather than a single mount. My info also says there was a single mount, so I guess that's what I'll do. Thanks again guys! :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:28 pm 

For what it's worth, according to "The Encyclopedia of U-boats 1904 to the present" by Eberhard Moller and Werner Brack U-84 was a Type VIIB, listed as "U-83-U-87", seperate from "U-99-U102", though both are listed as Type VIIBs. All that differs in the specifications is the builder, listed as Flenderwerke for U-84. I'll be interested in seeing your build Bobby as I will soon be building a Type VIIC/41 with the Flak conversion.

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:56 pm 

Location: as far south as you can get before you run out of planet
I just picked up the same Revell sub kit today on an impulse. my LHS has just got a pile of stuff in. there is a 1:72 flower corvett to which looks like it would be an extreamly cool build. hhm just an add on here. I opened the box up to take a look as you do :big_grin: and well hmmm the flashing aint so good on this and it would appear I will be using a fair amount of putty on the seams darn it.
:Mad_6:

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:16 pm 

Dave: You're right about the putty! I've been grinding and filling a whole bunch on the U-99/84! I have a whole bunch more to clean up until I'm ready for the extra gun emplacement! :cool_2:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:02 pm 

Location: as far south as you can get before you run out of planet
yeah I got that sinking feeling when I saw it. I got to work on it last night and still sanding and filling now. I hope the Revell 1:72 scales line up better as I really want to do a VIIC at some stage.

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 pm 

Hi Bob,

I have just checked a couple of references, and have found the following:

1) Rossler (THE German U-Boat King) has U-84 with this design, and in the German version states that the lower tower was connected to the fin with a gangway, but this is not repeated in the English version (but then there are considerable differnces between them)
2) Westwood Type VII U-Boat has the same design (A12/8) and refers to Roessler.
3) in AJ Press 10 U-Bootwaffe vol! there is a full hull side profile dated circa 1943. with the Flak-tower , but NO wire cutters (I am not sure when it was removed)
the flooding and listening slots are a different pattern to the other VIIc's illustrated.
4) Stern Typ VII U-Boats has the same sketch as in Roessler, and also a photo of the 88mm which has the name "fips" painted on the breech (left side) the gun has the wire wrap, unfornuately undated. Again refers to Roessler.
5) Hoegel Embleme Wappen Malings, has U-84 with a "dog, standing and barking", but I have not seen any photos, however he claims to have evidence for all the
several hundred boats shown in the book. Again no dates as to when this was painted.

According to Wynn she was on her 8th operation when suck.

Well I learnt alot about U-84 today! Hope some of it helps, and enjoy your build.

Terry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 am 

from Hoegel Embleme Wappen Malings
ciao peppe

Attachments:
emblema u 84.JPG
emblema u 84.JPG [ 23.84 KiB | Viewed 4543 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 pm 

I would appreciate anyone's documented findings on actual U-Boat colors used by the Kriegsmarine in WWII, along with current ACRYLIC model paint equivalents, for the following areas (1942-1944):

1. U-Boat Decks, both horizontal decking in the conning tower and the main, wooden decks.
2. Conning Tower sides
3. Hull Sides above waterline
4. Hull sides below waterline.

An IPMS JUDGE opined that "U-Boat decking in WWII was black or a very very dark charcoal grey." I'd like to see documentary proof confirming or repudiating this, as I have a 1/72 scale U-Boat ready for painting.

Much thanks for your replies, documentation and informed advice! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 am 

Have a look at Dougie Martindale's U Boat Colours PDF at:

http://amp.rokket.biz/reference.shtml

The wood decks were painted with a wood preservative, which was often charcoal (Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau - anti foul version of Dunkelgrau 53). This of course got faded by sun and salt, and scraped by wear. The tower itself inside was either all charcoal (Dunkelgrau 53 - the non-antifouling version of Schiffs III) or just a stripe at the top, depending. The decks wear also coated with Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau.

Hulls above the waterline were often a medium grey, (Dunkelgrau 51) tho some were very light (Hellgrau 50). Below Dunkelgrau 53. There's more specifics and detail in the PDF.

Our site has links to U 557 site, which has Humbrol enamel equiv, no acrylic but am chasing that up.
http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/index.shtml

Hope this helps and will get back to you with any acrylic info.

Talk Like HAL day - http://www.talklikehal.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:16 am 

Just found some Tamiya Acrylic equiv to Humbrol, can't guarantee exact translation, but looks good. I've added the info below my Humbrol mix chart for WEM paints:

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/paint.shtml

Hope it helps

Talk Like HAL day - http://www.talklikehal.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:54 am 

excellent Site, Rokket! All the best for this Project!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:49 am 

BattleshipHistorian1 said:

Quote:
An IPMS JUDGE opined that "U-Boat decking in WWII was black or a very very dark charcoal grey." I'd like to see documentary proof confirming or repudiating this, as I have a 1/72 scale U-Boat ready for painting.

Be aware that you're talking about WWII paints. These paints faded rather fast and sometimes exact colors weren't available to the yard painting the boat. Check out some of the links at this site for colors. Oil paints have more exacting colors and varieties. You might buy recommended shades of these and match the acrylics to them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 am 
I hope that somebody is able to help me in this U boat matter. My father was during the WWII at sea One of his vessels was torpedoed twice by a German U boat. First time on 18/12/1940 by one torpedo of the U96 the crew was able to keep the tanker afloat and they went back to Swansea for repairs. On 8/6/1941 while in convoy uinderway to the USA the tanker was torpedoed by three torpedo's of the U48 the tanker sunk the crew survived

I know that the U96 is of VIIC type and the U48 is VIIB My question is what is the difference between VIIB and VIIC can this be made or is it just technical?? Revbell has very nice kits of 1:72 and wouild like to build them.

Hope that somebody can help me as I am unknowm in matter of U boats

thanks and regards

Wim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:23 am 

Hi Wim. Have you checked out u-Boat.net?

From http://www.uboat.net/types/viic.htm

Quote:
Type VIIC was a slightly modified version of the successful VIIB. They had basically the same engine layout and power, but were slightly larger and heavier which made them not quite as fast as the VIIB

Comparing the two, I can see that the VIIC is longer, but with the same beam.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:31 pm 
Hello Tracy

thanks for the reply Yes I have been looking into that website But as tyold I am totally new on the U boat interests I have recently build the U99 of Revell just for fun and after that I was happy in this modelling and build two Chinese and a Russian sub of Trumpeter

Then I decided to look after the U boats of which my father was always talking But really I have no idea what the difference is as far as I can see its only technical matters and as you said the length Does this means I have to cut a sub of VIIC to bring it up to a VIIB??

I hope that you eventually have more info for me

regards

Wim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:46 pm 

I am no U-boat expert, but there are many out there. You might try the u-boat.net message boards or the SubCommittee.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 pm 
Have you build the VIIC scale 1:72 of Revell?? I would like to know if there are decals of th U96 in the kit available??

Hope that you can help me

thanks and regards

Wim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next