The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:13 pm 

Markings are provided for U-69, U-82, U-203, U-253, and U-552. Decals for U-96 are available through U.L.A.D.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:53 pm 
Tracy

Is the space between U and 6 and between 6 and 9 bij big enough to cut this strait and changed into 96?? Or do I must order new markings??

Regards

Wim

Post subject: U-1105 - rubber coated
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Hey

While ALL my main projects are stalled due to aftermarket deliveries, I fetched a flagman's VIIC/41 kit in 1/350 to build it waterlined OOB+railing. After checking the color options, I'd like to go for U-1105, as it was one of the few rubber-coated, snorkel-equipped boats, and nicknamed a "black panther"... The question is - the rubber coating. Was it really black? It also was reputed to be peeling off, so, what color would be under the rubber? Any photos, anyone?

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:04 pm 

What is the differnce between the two Revell 1/72 kits?

I alraedy have the VIIC/41 and have been looking at the other kit... Is it only the armament difference or are there any differences in hull shape?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 pm 

Does anyone know about Combat models kits? I know its a little off topic, but im kind of interested in seeing what their 1/72 Type IX is like, but I cant find any pictures there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:27 pm 

Hello, i build 1/350 ships, afv club launched a type vii b with a u-47 with a diferent scheme i would have think, maybe they have better references, lets see what you think.
THIS IS THE COLORS AFV SAYS.
you can see the regular two grays color, of the photos

The way i see it, AFV is mistaken with the colors, i have asked afv directly about the source of the info but have not recieve an answer, lets see the facts. thank you

1:700 Rules!
Building:
1/700 IJN Ise. (Hasegawa)
1/700 Crucero Baleares. (HP Models)
1/700 IJN Shinano. (Tamiya)

Next
1/700 DKM Graf Spee.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:29 pm 

There might have been heated discussions about the a/f paint on German WWII submarines. I personally doubt that it was red plus a dark boot topping. Please have a look at Doug Martindale's article, in pdf-format:

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/images/uboat_colours.pdf

Page 11ff ...

He refers to the 1940, 1941 and 1944 editions of the so-called ABB Nr. 31 which was the official paint regulation for the Kriegsmarine. I have checked all three of them, the 1940 edition only online, the latter two I have copies of, and there is no mentioning of red anywhere for the a/f paint of submarines. In other words, I agree with Doug as I have checked his references for myself.

However, I do not have any documents stating how things where handled before WWII. I have something for the IGN of WWI, but I haven't checked this for submarines, will do that later.

The editions of the ABB Nr. 31 do NOT state anything as "alternative" boot-topping or antifouling colour. But by the way, [off-topic], they clearly state the dark grey antifouling paint as RAL 7016, which is the same as the paint used for the boot-topping on larger surface ships (RAL 7016) AND the dark grey painted steel decks (RAL 7016). All the same shade, just with or without the antifouling ingredients ... [/off-topic] :heh:

And ... as stated by Doug as well, in another article just for U-47, the colours on this very boat changed. The upper hull and conning tower was painted "Schlickgrau 58" later in the boat's career. For more details have a look at Doug's article:

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=870

Hope this helps.

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:52 pm 

well Olaf, i think the answer its there lol, has the author suggested perhaps for maketing it is more interesting a red hull than a flat gray, but historical facts are the important, at least for me, i have another question to talk about,

in 1941 U-573 (G7)became part of the spanish navy, i sent a post in a spanish forum, hope all of you see it and check the colors of the u-boat in spanish service, also have made a few color examples, thank you all.

http://modelismonaval.crearforo.com/sps-g-7-s-01-ex-u-573-es2330.html

1:700 Rules!
Building:
1/700 IJN Ise. (Hasegawa)
1/700 Crucero Baleares. (HP Models)
1/700 IJN Shinano. (Tamiya)

Next
1/700 DKM Graf Spee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 pm 

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now. Great forum. I'm mainly Aircraft builder, but now I will try with some ships.. I have Revell Sub Type VII C in 1/350 scale, and that thing is ready for painting.
I have been wandering about colours, red on the hull or not, now given the discusion of experts above it is safe to say no red on hull.. only light and dark gray..

Post subject: Type VII/D
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:39 pm 

I am going to do a conversion of Revell's 1/72 Type VII/C to a /D. I have the conversion set for it and am a bit disappointed that the deck piece for the mine shafts is a solid hunk of resin. I am going to go ahead and open them up and put some mines in them and maybe leave one with an open hatch. I am going to redo the hatches in photoetch so my question is what is the correct drain pattern for the hatches? The Special Navy conversion set has a star shaped pattern of flood holes, I have seen one picture of the hatch that is partially open and looks damaged but looks like it has a circular patterrn of holes and there is a picture in the AJ Press vol 1 on the type VII that they say is a type VII and has slotted hatches like on a type X boat. So what pattern is correct to make? Anybody have better pictures? Also, How did they open? All one piece and hinged on just one side or split in the middle and hinged on two sides? I thank in advance those that can help.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:07 pm 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:22 pm 

Peter,
Thank you so much. This does not help a little - it helps a lot. I am still in the planning stages of this build so have not decided on a particular boat. One of the main reasons is that I have not really found that much on a particular boat so if you do have information on the 217 that would be a tremendous help. I always like to try and model a specific subject and not just a generic example.
Thank you again.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:28 am 
krgf15 wrote:
Were the later wooden decks stained like the U.S. navy did?

early in the war they were oiled natural teak, but they were verry visible to aircraft. Later they used a mixture of diesel and powdered coal to darken them somewhat. The lighter color deck, just under the surface appears a brite light green tone and somewhat illuminated due to the sunlite refraction. In contrast to to the verry dark bule/black of the deep water surrounding and can bee seen for miles. The spotters in the aircraft that were patrolling could see this long before the perriscope's wake. Once the brite spot was seen from altitude the aircraft would drop down to get a closer look, to see if there was any evidence of the scopes wake breaking the serface. Often, the visual turned out to be a whale or pod of whales or dolphin, which looks similar to a submersable. You may notice, that in the color fotos of the boats leaving to go on patroll or departing the pens after refits the decks look verry nice, almost painted look. Not many color fotos takin aboard during operations, but in some close b&w shots you can see the worn look, and the washed out appearance that the decks became, due to weather and water. I believe that the color pics taken while underway, were official DKM photographers, and their mission was primarily propaganda, so the boats wernt at sea for verry long periods or patrols and show little weathering.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:34 pm 

(1) Is there a comparison review on the large crop of current and recent releases from AFV Club, HobbyBoss, Mirage, and Bronco ? I have not seen any of the available kits in the flesh.

(2) Grateful for any individual preference or recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 pm 

falcon04 wrote:
(1) Is there a comparison review on the large crop of current and recent releases from AFV Club, HobbyBoss, Mirage, and Bronco ? I have not seen any of the available kits in the flesh.

(2) Grateful for any individual preference or recommendation.

After building a couple of U-Boats earlier this year (a Type XXI & a Type XXIII), I've gotten a bit of a sub bug and bought a few - a couple of Type VIIs from AFV and a Type IX from Hobby Boss. The AFV kits seemed to be better detailed a bit more complex (also more expensive). The HobbyBoss kit is not as detailed, but seems like a decent kit that so far goes together fairly well (I have not started building any of the AFV club kits). It also retails from less than the AFV club kits. Can't speak about the Mirage, Bronco or Revell kits, as I don't have any of those.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:02 pm 

Martin;

I too have the "U-bug"

Since I posted, I've received 1 IXC from Bronco and 1 from HobbyBoss, as well as a full set of AFV's, so I've formed my own opinion.

The major hull and sail components of the HobbyBoss IXC have clearly been pantographed from the Bronco - locater pins and sprue layouts differ but the parts are interchangeable. Since the 3 Type IX Bronco kits are difficult to find, the only Type IX alternative would seem to be Mirage - and my experience with Mirage has been favorable. I have their 2 Type IX's on order.

AS to the Type VII's from AFV - IMHO the moldings are far superior to HobbyBoss - exquisite as compared to marginally acceptable to crude for HB. I have some reservations as to the hull split on the AFV's -it will be more difficult to hide the seam - but that's it.

I see that AFV is doing Gatos from 1941 and 1942 ( and I'm sure thru 1945 ),

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62368

so we are in for a treat - I hope they do Type IX's !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm 

I was about to ask the same question re: the current crop of 1/350 7C sub reviews.
I just done a web trawl and have culled the following info -

There seems to be some consensus that that AFV kit has problems with the hull half joint insomuch that it is curved rather than flat, and will not allow a waterline version to be easily accomplished. It is double the price of the other offerings.
It does come with PE though.

The Revell kit seems to have rivet detail which is way overscale but the price is great!

The Hobbyboss kit looks good, comes with 2 x conning towers & PE.

All of the kits seem to suffer from overscale hull and conning tower railings.

The Hobbyboss PE railings look to be the most 'in scale' ones.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am 

This may not be the best place for this question, but I’ll give it a shot anyway. On many photos I’ve seen of German U-Boats (mostly B&W), there often is seen blotches of a light (grey?) color all over the conning tower in random fashion. Are these salt stains, or worn/chipped paint revealing primer beneath, or what?

Thanks,
Kevin

30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:24 am 

hello bb61
i think its parasites and wear of the paint like the u 505 who was capture, look at the photos

i make it on my u boot here

it s possible to have some parasites too
stef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
Does anyone know if the 5045 VIIC/41 Atlantic kit will mate up to the earlier 5015 sail? I want to build the 5015 as a cutaway but the model has been discontinued. I have a spare sail from an earlier build and thought I might be able to just use the hull and deck. If you have done this or know that it can/can't be done, I'd love to hear from you at: pyrate02@gmail.com. Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next