The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 am 

Hi everyone,

I have just finished my Type 42 HMS Liverpool and thought I'd open a new thread about the T 42s, as I was surprised that there wasn't one about them already. This could be where everyone who built, is building or will build a model of these rather small, yet sturdy and elegant destroyers can discuss opinions and exchange ideas.

I have found quite a few good pictures of walkabouts on various ships but I don't think I can post them without getting permission from their photographers first. If anyone is interested I could maybe send you some or give you the link.

For starters, here's a pic of my Liverpool in her 2008 configuration.

Cheers! :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:57 am 

Hi
I am building H.M.S Gloucester Type 42 Batch 3, although the Dragon model is good I have found that there is a lot of scratch building to be done to corrct certain areas of the ship that is wrong or over scaled, I will put some pictures on later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:08 pm 

Hi uxbridgeuk,

in what time period are you depicting your Gloucester?
I built my Type42 from an old Pitroad kit and I also had scratchbuild way more than I had thought. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:35 pm 

I am building her up to date as the picture I have of her are more present so I will have to add the strenghening bars down the side and a couple more details here and there, so it it taking me a lot more than it should

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:49 pm 

I'm gearing up to build MANCHESTER 1989 in 1/350 for my father who commanded her . She is going to have to be scratchbuilt and hopefully I'll work out how to design my own PE set for her. Looking forward to it as soon as I've got some spare time. Depending on how well it goes I may make moulds of various parts and build EXETER as she was in 1982 when my grandfather took her down South. In the mean time best of luck to everyone building their 42's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 am 

Uxbridgeuk, did your kit also come with a pair of those strengthening bars? Unfortunately, I found that they were a bit too small after I added the platform for the CIWS so I had to cut out some new ones from spare styrene.

Cosbymai, wow, that should be quite a project! I look forward to you starting your build.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:44 am 

No I had to cut some out of white plastic and using the pictures I had try to guess the length and width etc and then sand the edges down to get a curved edge. My Dragon model I think was an old issue of the Manchester but as I am doing her up to date there is a lot of scratch building and alterations that I am doing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:38 am 

Yes, I know what you mean. I had the same problems. I thought that maybe the new Dragon kits would give you the option to build the ships in a more up to date configuration but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good luck with all the scratchbuilding and do keep us updated :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:08 pm 

orb wrote:
Yes, I know what you mean. I had the same problems. I thought that maybe the new Dragon kits would give you the option to build the ships in a more up to date configuration but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good luck with all the scratchbuilding and do keep us updated :wave_1:

Actually, you should count your lucky stars that Dragon didn't-when they updated their Illustrious kit, they made a pigs ear of it! :heh:

Often, a bit of scratchbuilding is easier, cheaper, and better for your own skills than a poorly worked out kit 'update'.

Nice Liverpool btw.

:thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Ships on the Slipway
HMS Victorious R38
USS Pinckney DDG-91
SAS Drakensberg A-301
On the drawing board
HMS Dumbarton Castle P265
HMS Albion L14
VT Sergey Osipov

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:20 pm 

ASFC wrote:
Actually, you should count your lucky stars that Dragon didn't-when they updated their Illustrious kit, they made a pigs ear of it! :heh:

Often, a bit of scratchbuilding is easier, cheaper, and better for your own skills than a poorly worked out kit 'update'.

Nice Liverpool btw.

:thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Please tell me you don't mean this particular kit: http://www.hlj.com/product/DRA7046 ? Because I just might have that being shipped to me right now... :smallsmile: Will be trying to convert it to R07 sometime and with the Type 42s, I'm hoping it would make a nice RN display :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:39 am 

Yes I do, in my experience of that kit anyway (remember the Illustrious I built last year..........) It still has the parts to build a Seadart Illustrious if you fancy scratchbuilding your own way to a 2000 refit instead of the kit parts.

Ships on the Slipway
HMS Victorious R38
USS Pinckney DDG-91
SAS Drakensberg A-301
On the drawing board
HMS Dumbarton Castle P265
HMS Albion L14
VT Sergey Osipov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:46 pm 

I just checked the kit and your Illustrious in the gallery. What a bummer, and I thought I had bought the best available kit. Scratchbuilding it is then! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 am 
Hi just found this forum and i'm pleased i have. Just got into model building after a few years off (Work and other mundane things) so pleased to start building again. Ive just purchased Dragon 1/700 H.M.S Nottingham, H.M.S Newcastle and H.M.S Gloucester. I chose Newcastle and Gloucester as i seved on both at the begining of this Century. Just looked through my photos on my laptop and im sorry Gloucester builders i dont have any of her but have plenty of Newcastle (B2) (Ship not model). But anyway just looked in the gallary at the model of Nottinham and was blown away. Does anyone know where i can get hold of the bollards and ties he has used (On the picture of the Quarterdeck before painting). Thank for reading my essay and if anyone requires pics of Newcastle or Gloucester if i find them. Please feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 am 

slipkidd have you a link to the page, would like some detailed pictures if you have any, plus if you have any pictures around this area of the ship would be more than welcome

Attachments:
type 42.jpg
type 42.jpg [ 119.55 KiB | Viewed 7670 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:12 am 

Sorry Uxbridge uk cant find any on my laptop but i found some pics on the web
such as http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_di ... er_d96.htm

Also some vids of Gloucester on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... ester&aq=f

It really is worth looking at youtube as people often record guided tours (Jack style) around the ships and you get to see alot more than you are supposed to! lol.
If i pop round my Mums i will have a look at some phots and scan them. As for Newcastle i mainly have shots from the air taken by the Lphot in the cab.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:19 am 

Found a good and close up vid of the Seadart if anyone cares to look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IosXz9rNsJw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:31 am 

Lots of upper deck phots of Manchester if they are any help same batch as Gloucester so you might have some joy on here
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 0%26um%3D1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 am 

This is the superstructure that I have done, not complete though, for such a small model ther is a lot of detailing to go,any comments would be appreciated, but as I am not technically minded about boats you will have to explain things as though I was a 5 year old

Attachments:
type42_1.JPG
type42_1.JPG [ 80.45 KiB | Viewed 7687 times ]
destroyer.JPG
destroyer.JPG [ 102.29 KiB | Viewed 7700 times ]
H.M.S Gloucester.JPG
H.M.S Gloucester.JPG [ 97.98 KiB | Viewed 7693 times ]

Last edited by uxbridgeuk on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:12 pm 

uxbridgeuk wrote:
This is the superstructure that I have done, not complete though, for such a small model ther is a lot of detailing to go,any comments would be appreciated, but as I am not technically minded about boats you will have to explain things as though I was a 5 year old

Looks great so far! I really like all the detail work that you put in it. It's interesting to follow a build of a Batch III after having built a Batch II.

I'm also not very good with most technical terms, so I might just be referring to things as "that thing over there" :smallsmile: Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 pm 

looking good so far Uxbridge :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Slipkid, Newcastle was Batch 1, Nottingham is Batch 2, beware of Captions that go with pics, Pic of Gloucester taken from Iowa BB-61 taken during Desert Storm(Iowa wasnt there) Pic of Gloucester taken from Independence during Desert Storm,(Nope, Tail Code on that S-3 is NF, therefore taken after Indy had taken over from USS Midway and embarked CVW-5)

I had 17 years in Type 42's between 1987 and 2004, HMS York, Gloucester, Southampton, Exeter and Liverpool. I retired from RN in 2007 after 32 years.